All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

This one may have some truth to it but he is not their 1st choice. they like most openings want Archie Miller which for anyone is a grand slam hire.

Said it in another post but if Pitino wants out of here rather have it happen now instead of 2 years from now.

I saw on the ESPN crawl that Bobby Hurley is going to interview at Depaul. If St.Johns does open up and Hurley is still available you would certainly think there would be mutual interest there.

I saw on the ESPN crawl that Bobby Hurley is going to interview at Depaul. If St.Johns does open up and Hurley is still available you would certainly think there would be mutual interest there.

Agree. Hurley though probably couldn't holdout waiting to hear on the St Johns job unless his representatives are working back channels and know he could have the job if it opens up.

I'd be pretty surprised if Pitino left for St. John's. It's a lesser conference in a city/state/region of the country with lots of competition, both on the court and off. Pitino would also become a carpet beggar of sorts, having never lasted more than two seasons among the 3 teams he's coached. I think he knows he can cultivate east coast talent from Minneapolis, so I don't think SJU is as big of a draw as it may seem. Also, Pitino's resume is nothing compared to Lavin's, who they are firing.

The best part of these rumors is that Lavin would probably land back at ESPN. He, along with Walton, is among my favorite basketball commentators.

I'd be pretty surprised if Pitino left for St. John's. It's a lesser conference in a city/state/region of the country with lots of competition, both on the court and off. Pitino would also become a carpet beggar of sorts, having never lasted more than two seasons among the 3 teams he's coached. I think he knows he can cultivate east coast talent from Minneapolis, so I don't think SJU is as big of a draw as it may seem. Also, Pitino's resume is nothing compared to Lavin's, who they are firing.

Recruiting would be much easier there and their conference is still a pretty good draw for elite players. I would also say that St. John's is a more competitive destination within its conference than Minnesota is within the Big Ten.

Except for his first year, Lavin has stumbled at St. John's (granted, he's had some health issues). He is 0-2 in his NCAA appearances and only 1-2 in NIT appearances (lost the opening round as a #1 seed in 2014). He's managed to recruit some pretty good talent but has had a number of premature departures.

As for Pitino, his resume, while thin, is better than it was when he came here. To my knowledge, he has head coached only 2 teams (not three). At least he has won an NIT championship at MSG (something Lavin didn't get close to doing on a court that is more or less home).

Recruiting would be much easier there and their conference is still a pretty good draw for elite players. I would also say that St. John's is a more competitive destination within its conference than Minnesota is within the Big Ten.

Except for his first year, Lavin has stumbled at St. John's (granted, he's had some health issues). He is 0-2 in his NCAA appearances and only 1-2 in NIT appearances (lost the opening round as a #1 seed in 2014). He's managed to recruit some pretty good talent but has had a number of premature departures.

As for Pitino, his resume, while thin, is better than it was when he came here. To my knowledge, he has head coached only 2 teams (not three). At least he has won an NIT championship at MSG (something Lavin didn't get close to doing on a court that is more or less home).

When I said 3 teams I was talking about if he did take the job.

Pitino is going nowhere. He loves it here. I heard him say so.

Pitino does not get the choice to take the job at St. Johns. He is not on their short list. Why the fear of losing him ?He has not done nearly enough to be sought after. Take a positive approach to your own program that the U is a good job that Pitino could make his mark here. In fact, he agreed to get paid to win here and there is zero reason to think one way or the other that he will or not. NEEDS at least 2 more years.

since this is a rumor thread: there are three open scholarships. If he were to be leaving he wouldn't sign anyone else would he?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Am I the only one who wouldn't be upset if he did leave? I think there are much more proven candidates who are less likely to leave at the next big thing down the line (e.g. Michael White at LA Tech, Jeff Jones at ODU, Chris Mooney at Richmond, or even Saul Phillips).

Am I the only one who wouldn't be upset if he did leave? I think there are much more proven candidates who are less likely to leave at the next big thing down the line (e.g. Michael White at LA Tech, Jeff Jones at ODU, Chris Mooney at Richmond, or even Saul Phillips).

I love Richard, but if he decides to job hop, there's nothing we can do about it. Xavier for one has shown that you can recover from losing excellent people by hiring other excellent people.

Am I the only one who wouldn't be upset if he did leave?

Would like to see how it plays out with Pitino, but I see what you're saying. Now might be the time he'd actually think about moving because if he has two more years no better than the past two (which appears likely) Richard is savvy enough to know his number/name won't be anywhere near as hot as it is right now (not that it's steaming hot after a postseason-less Year 2). At a place like Tennessee (SEC country) with solid basketball tradition there'd still be some cache to hiring the Pitino name.

I would imagine Tennessee will want to go the squeaky clean route after what just happened with Tyndall, so it will be interesting to see who they hire. If I were Gregg Marshall I'd take the Tennessee job before I'd take Texas or Alabama (hoops too much of a second fiddle in Austin & Tuscaloosa), but that's just me.

Would like to see how it plays out with Pitino, but I see what you're saying. Now might be the time he'd actually think about moving because if he has two more years no better than the past two (which appears likely) Richard is savvy enough to know his number/name won't be anywhere near as hot as it is right now (not that it's steaming hot after a postseason-less Year 2). At a place like Tennessee (SEC country) with solid basketball tradition there'd still be some cache to hiring the Pitino name.

I would imagine Tennessee will want to go the squeaky clean route after what just happened with Tyndall, so it will be interesting to see who they hire. If I were Gregg Marshall I'd take the Tennessee job before I'd take Texas or Alabama (hoops too much of a second fiddle in Austin & Tuscaloosa), but that's just me.

Jeff Goodman is up to it again.. notice how every other coach is a mid major name.. but he wants Pitino badly in the SEC.

Tennessee fired head coach Donnie Tyndall after just one season on Friday, amid an NCAA probe into impropriety during his tenure at Southern Miss. The firing of Tyndall means the Volunteers will be seeking their fourth coach in the last six seasons.

Departed: Tyndall. Tyndall was not jettisoned because he can't coach, though he went just 16-16 in his lone campaign in Knoxville, and 7-11 in SEC play. The Vols, who lost the core of a Sweet 16 team in 2014, were 4-11 over their final 15 games.

Program situation: It seems like an eternity ago that Bruce Pearl had this program truly relevant. Sure, Cuonzo Martin surprisingly took them to the Sweet 16 a year ago, but let's remember: Pearl had this program in the NCAA tournament all six of his seasons, and the Vols advanced to the Sweet 16 three times in his tenure. The issue right now is that there's not much talent in the cupboard (and that's being kind).
Realistic candidates

Michael White, Louisiana Tech: He turned it down last season, but things have changed. White had his top three players coming back the last time. Now, Speedy Smith and Raheem Appleby are graduating.

Richard Pitino, Minnesota: He hasn't gone to the NCAA tourney in his two seasons at Minnesota, but he's young and his last name is Pitino. That helps.

Bobby Hurley, Buffalo: He's in the mix for DePaul, and he has the name and also an NCAA tourney on his résumé.

Steve Prohm, Murray State: Turned down the Mississippi State job a couple years ago, and probably makes more sense for Alabama (he's an alum). However, he's not at the top of the list for the Crimson Tide.

Brad Underwood, Stephen F. Austin: The former Kansas State and South Carolina assistant has gone to the NCAA tournament in each of his two seasons with the Lumberjacks.

Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa: He's now taken UNI to the NCAA tournament three times -- in 2009, 2010 and this season. He also has the reputation of being squeaky-clean, which definitely helps with this one.

Will Wade, Chattanooga: He helped build the program at Harvard and also at VCU. Wade has been at Chattanooga for the past two years, would come on the cheap and certainly knows the area.
Long-shot candidate

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State: Alabama is going to make a run at Marshall, and Tennessee could do the same. But my guess is that Marshall holds out for a more attractive job.
My choice

Pitino. He's done a good job at Minnesota, especially when you factor in what he inherited from the Tubby Smith regime. The Golden Gophers won the NIT in his first season, and while some may view this year (the team went 18-15) as a disappointment, he really didn't have that much talent to work with. Pitino is young and while he doesn't have the energy of a Pearl, he has a personality that would work in Knoxville.

I wouldn't be devastated if he left. I enjoyed watching LA Tech play in the NIT recently and I wonder what that coach could do at a higher level program. Of course, the biggest problem is that some recruits tend to revoke their commitments after that announcement. If that happened now, that would almost guarantee us a terrible season next year.

since this is a rumor thread: there are three open scholarships. If he were to be leaving he wouldn't sign anyone else would he?

Probably not, but one must hedge his bets. He may want to leave but may not if he doesn't get an offer from a program he considers attractive.

Myron oh Myron, just please never speak of Minnesota again. He may be right about the current facilities, but their is plenty of HS talent in Minnesota.

Myron oh Myron, just please never speak of Minnesota again.

Must be hard to write in Minnesota, too, cuz Myron sucked at it.

Is there a bigger tird in the writing profession than Myron Medcalf? Jim Souhan, perhaps?

56c242c8bb93003aba585fd1a3047f4d.jpg

Myron oh Myron, just please never speak of Minnesota again. He may be right about the current facilities, but their is plenty of HS talent in Minnesota.

Top Bottom