All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Haha Tennessee fans think they can get Fred Hoiberg or Fran McCaffrey. In what world would that happen??

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I was going to come in here to say that UT is an easier university to recruit for and that they have way more McDz AA...however I just looked at since 2000, UT and the U are even at 2. Don't think it is an easier school to recruit to...Lil Richard should just stay at Minny and build a program.

Yawn.

As mentioned, get used to it. Says more about Pitino than the U if he leaves in 4 years or less. Remember, the only thing worse than teams wanting your coach is when teams don't want your coach.

Even Dan Monson got courted in early years.

Winni, you said it with "the only thing ...". Spot on.

Yawn.

As mentioned, get used to it. Says more about Pitino than the U if he leaves in 4 years or less. Remember, the only thing worse than teams wanting your coach is when teams don't want your coach.

Yawn.

I take the talk more serious than most. Recruiting, though I am happy, has been tough sledding. All of our recruits are plan B, C, or D. Pitino is used to getting choice A, or B as a consolation. I guess we will see how this all works out, but get used to hearing rumors about Pitino leaving

Recruiting, though I am happy, has been tough sledding. All of our recruits are plan B, C, or D. Pitino is used to getting choice A, or B as a consolation.

It's tough recruiting to Minnesota? You don't say.

I take the talk more serious than most. Recruiting, though I am happy, has been tough sledding. All of our recruits are plan B, C, or D. Pitino is used to getting choice A, or B as a consolation. I guess we will see how this all works out, but get used to hearing rumors about Pitino leaving

He's only been a head coach for 2 years and here only 1. I would think recruiting would be easier when he starts showing progress and several winning seasons.

Honestly I believe he's happy here and I believe he's going to be here for at least a couple of years unless something bad happens between him and Norwood.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

He's not going anywhere this year, folks.

He is happy here! The good news, nationally, the perception is, he is doing a great job! The bad news is, his name will come up for marginally better jobs.

He's not going anywhere this year because it would make CBS or ESPN (can't remember which) very unhappy. Whichever network has the rights to Pitino vs. Pitino in November would greatly dislike the move and would likely have a long memory.

I have no problem hearing his name come up every offseason, just like I didn't with Tubby.

I have no problem hearing his name come up every offseason, just like I didn't with Tubby.

Depends. I kind of felt like Tubby was reaching out for offers/ had his agent actively pursuing them (maybe this is unfair but that was my perception).

If Pitino is just getting noticed, so be it. It is probably in his best interest,long-term, to win at Minnesota for awhile. That said, coaches don't think long-term very much.

Their coach just left for Cal. Tennessee is going to then get Minnesota's coach? Don't see it. This type of move makes zero sense for Pitino unless he feels like he can't get over .500 in conference play in the next couple years here. Pitino will get just as much consideration for one of the few destination jobs by winning at Minnesota as he would at Tennessee.

I agree that there would be little difference between winning here and winning at Tennessee when it comes to using that as a stepping stone for one of the top jobs. Plus, aren't there normally buyouts imposed on a coach (or the new school) when a coach leaves early? If there is one here, Pitino's would surely be pretty hefty given that he just started. I heard a radio interview with the AD at Auburn discussing (quite frankly) his hiring of Bruce Pearl. The AD told him is would cost him 5 million if he left during the first three years and it would go down to 4 million in the 4th year.

The only advantage I would see to Tennessee over Minnesota for an up-and-coming coach is that the state of Tennessee may be a more attractive destination for recruits given its climate and its more centralized location to numerous metro areas.

Its not just a Minnesota thing I guess...

• Two new names have surfaced at Tulsa with in the past 24 hours – Texas Tech head coach Tubby Smith and New Mexico State head coach Marvin Menzies. Smith was the head coach at Tulsa from 1991-95 before going on to Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota, and eventually TTU. Menzies has been the head coach at NMSU since 2007, and is a former assistant at Louisville, USC, and UNLV.

Its not just a Minnesota thing I guess...

• Two new names have surfaced at Tulsa with in the past 24 hours – Texas Tech head coach Tubby Smith and New Mexico State head coach Marvin Menzies. Smith was the head coach at Tulsa from 1991-95 before going on to Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota, and eventually TTU. Menzies has been the head coach at NMSU since 2007, and is a former assistant at Louisville, USC, and UNLV.

Tubby going full circle. Tulsa is joining the AAC

Tim Miles already came out and said "thanks, but no thanks". Wish Pitino would do the same.

At Volnation, they are completely delusional when it comes to expectations. One poster posted they should look at Beilien as a replacement...why oh why would John Belien leave the B1G?

We had our craziness with our own coaching change, however, we were never as delusional as that lot. They act like Knoxville is a destination for any coach.

Tim Miles already came out and said "thanks, but no thanks". Wish Pitino would do the same.

At Volnation, they are completely delusional when it comes to expectations. One poster posted they should look at Beilien as a replacement...why oh why would John Belien leave the B1G?

We had our craziness with our own coaching change, however, we were never as delusional as that lot. They act like Knoxville is a destination for any coach.

Good. He's target #1 if Richard goes... :cool:

Zero chance. No way something like that could stay secret for three days.

I look forward to this thread surpassing the Shaka thread by 2017.

I look forward to this thread surpassing the Shaka thread by 2017.

Someone check if Pitino is at the Vu! Or riding a roller coaster at MOA! Have we seen him and NT together lately? Maybe wearing a Gophers shirt? PLANE TRACKING!!!!

Someone check if Pitino is at the Vu! Or riding a roller coaster at MOA! Have we seen him and NT together lately? Maybe wearing a Gophers shirt? PLANE TRACKING!!!!

I just saw a guy at the knoxville airport with a maroon colored pocket t-shirt on. He had a pack of smokes in the shirt pocket. Must be one of Pitino's handlers.

Hopefully all of the Tennessee players tweeting about how poorly Martin was treated there will sway Pitino from not even considering it.

That or looks like he's getting a Gophers raise already.

And if he takes it, just fold the program. For the health of all of us fans, just close it down.

:D

Top Bottom