All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Except those aren't facts. Big Ten tournament games count toward a coach's overall record, but not their Big Ten record. Pitino's Big Ten record is 14-22, for a winning percentage of .389. Period. Feel free to fabricate your own statistics, but don't expect people who know better to take them seriously and certainly don't call them "facts".

And, of course, adding two 2 wins and 2 losses to make it 16-24 with a 40% winning percentage completely changes the narrative and is well worth arguing about.

It's his record against B1G competition. That's a fact. If they didn't have a B1G tournament, they'd likely play 2 more games. What's the difference? If you feel those 4 games are somehow less valid, you're entitled to your opinion. Either way, 40.65% versus 39% does not change the math much. Take the stick out once in a while.

It's obnoxious because it's a made-up stat, contrived in order to brighten the picture. If you have to make things up to bolster your argument, it's not a very strong argument. It has nothing to do with validity, it's the fact that those games don't count for a coach's Big Ten record. You're right - it doesn't change the math much, so why fabricate a made-up statistic for a little less than 2 percentage points?

Your initial post:

"Pitino's B1G record through two years (including BTT) is 16-24 (40%)."

That's the entire crux of it. It's not his Big Ten record. It's a made-up stat, created by you to make things appear better.

It's obnoxious because it's a made-up stat, contrived in order to brighten the picture. If you have to make things up to bolster your argument, it's not a very strong argument. It has nothing to do with validity, it's the fact that those games don't count for a coach's Big Ten record. You're right - it doesn't change the math much, so why fabricate a made-up statistic for a little less than 2 percentage points?

Your initial post:

That's the entire crux of it. It's not his Big Ten record. It's a made-up stat, created by you to make things appear better.

I didn't 'make anything up.' I included it because I don't think beating Rutgers or losing to OSU on a neutral court is somehow less meaningful than beating or losing to Rutgers or OSU in the Barn. I even disclosed it so those who were really anal about it could disregard. So you can disregard, the rest of us can carry on without caring about 1%.

Or more Kings????

That's such as awesome comparison. A recruit being recruited to Minnesota by the well-established Minnesota head coach and signs during the early signing period (i.e. Plan A recruit) vs. a late spring transfer shortly after a coach is hired and scrambling for a recruiting class.

BTW....remember when you disappeared for that week for some strange reason which happened to coincide with the program's first win at Michigan State since the 90s...only to return one week later following the team's bye and loss to Wisconsin? Joey King had 17 points in the game including 8 for 8 from the line including three free throws in the final minute. I can't believe such a big Gopher fan would miss that performance.

Your initial post:

He didn't say B1G conference record, so I'm not sure your problem here.

Pinto's record vs B1G teams is 16-24, nothing made up about that, it's a fact.

Or more Kings????

9.7 scoring average, behind only Walker, Eliason, and Konate in field goal percentage, team leader in free throw percentage, second on the time in made 3s and 3 point percentage, second on the team in minutes per game. You really think King and Foster are comparable? Seriously?

Nah, B1G teams cease being B1G teams once the conference season is over. Denying that is making things up. Or something. And a 1.65% difference is mathematically significant, I'm sure.

Isn't this a rumor thread?

the rumor is about RP's record at the U

regarding Alabama, I'm seeing more Izzo and Crean than Pitino on the Bama board wish list (along with Archie and several other non Big Ten)

9.7 scoring average, behind only Walker, Eliason, and Konate in field goal percentage, team leader in free throw percentage, second on the time in made 3s and 3 point percentage, second on the team in minutes per game. You really think King and Foster are comparable? Seriously?

Nah, B1G teams cease being B1G teams once the conference season is over. Denying that is making things up. Or something. And a 1.65% difference is mathematically significant, I'm sure.

Darn, with this kind performance from a D2 type player, I am confused why Gophers didn't make it to the FF this year. Have you seen Foster playing? Most likely he will transfer from TT this year but he is a very good player for another system. Gophers could have used him this year at PF position for sure.

That's such as awesome comparison. A recruit being recruited to Minnesota by the well-established Minnesota head coach and signs during the early signing period (i.e. Plan A recruit) vs. a late spring transfer shortly after a coach is hired and scrambling for a recruiting class.

BTW....remember when you disappeared for that week for some strange reason which happened to coincide with the program's first win at Michigan State since the 90s...only to return one week later following the team's bye and loss to Wisconsin? Joey King had 17 points in the game including 8 for 8 from the line including three free throws in the final minute. I can't believe such a big Gopher fan would miss that performance.

From the-so-called-real-truth previously:
I had my concerns for the program when Richard was hired. Maybe that's why I am here just to show that I was right. During the next 3-4 years, if the program is heading to the right direction, I assure you, I will be the 1st to tell you how wrong I was.

There isn't a-real-purpose to discussing the coach with someone who's whole agenda is to prove his point that Tubby shouldn't have been fired ergo Pitino shouldn't have been hired.
Its called a logical fallacy.

Your "If Tubby had;'t been fired this never would have happened" story is tiresome and has nothing to do with the current coach.
You inch closer to the ignore button as there is no point to a discussion. I'm not interested in discussing the coach with you just as I am not interested in discussing religion with tiny. Someone who is locked into their agenda is incapable of discussion. Its deeper than being locked into an opinion. That I accept on a message board!

Darn, with this kind performance from a D2 type player, I am confused why Gophers didn't make it to the FF this year. Have you seen Foster playing? Most likely he will transfer from TT this year but he is a very good player for another system. Gophers could have used him this year at PF position for sure.

Yes and we were much better off letting him go and picking up King.

ITS

Pitino's B1G record through two years (including BTT) is 16-24 (40%).

Its exactly what he said it is.

Shut up already sometimes you are annoying as all ****.

I think the biggest concern with Pitino is that in the video of him throwing fades to Konate on the football field, he didn't throw a tight enough spiral!

I think the biggest concern with Pitino is that in the video of him throwing fades to Konate on the football field, he didn't throw a tight enough spiral!

FINALLY, somebody nails it!

I hate to tell you this TRT, but Joey King would likely have been a Gopher were Tubby still the coach as well.

And secondly, if your example of Pitino failing at recruiting is Joey King, holy cow are you reaching. I'd more point to Josh Martin, McNeil, Gaston (so far), etc. Much better examples. King has played his butt off, works harder than 95% of the team (per Richard Pitino), makes shots and plays smart. Would it be nice if he were a better rebounder/more athletic, absolutely. However using King as the example of a recruiting failure is pretty weak.

I bet Tubby would have loved to have Joey at TT.

This is a MN kid who chose to play at MN. Something Tyus didn't do, Reid didn't do, Vaughn didn't do, etc. It just gets frustrating that a guy does everything we expect out of a MN basketball player aside from being an athletic freak and he is the most ridiculed player on the site. Just don't understand it.

This is par for the course for dpodoll. He searches for any mistakes he can find in people's posts and then calls them out. He must be desperate today though since he's using a post that was 100% factual.

I hate to tell you this TRT, but Joey King would likely have been a Gopher were Tubby still the coach as well.

And secondly, if your example of Pitino failing at recruiting is Joey King, holy cow are you reaching. I'd more point to Josh Martin, McNeil, Gaston (so far), etc. Much better examples. King has played his butt off, works harder than 95% of the team (per Richard Pitino), makes shots and plays smart. Would it be nice if he were a better rebounder/more athletic, absolutely. However using King as the example of a recruiting failure is pretty weak.

I bet Tubby would have loved to have Joey at TT.

This is a MN kid who chose to play at MN. Something Tyus didn't do, Reid didn't do, Vaughn didn't do, etc. It just gets frustrating that a guy does everything we expect out of a MN basketball player aside from being an athletic freak and he is the most ridiculed player on the site. Just don't understand it.

Sorry, I got into the game of bashing players because of the other poster. Frankly, my opinion about King might been based on what I have read here. As a person who did play sports in school, I should have known better. Thanks for correcting me. Those kids play their hearts out and for us making fun of them is not fair.

Sorry, I got into the game of bashing players because of the other poster. Frankly, my opinion about King might been based on what I have read here. As a person who did play sports in school, I should have known better. Thanks for correcting me. Those kids play their hearts out and for us making fun of them is not fair.

King had a rough stretch in the mid part of the big ten, but he was almost a positive the last 5-8 games. He is always going to lack rebounding and he is slow footed, but one thing you cannont fault him for is effort and he has the best body language on the team. His teammates all seem to like him as well and pull for him. And gripe all you want but for the Gophers to not not be 10-14 place he will be a key cog next year.

King had a rough stretch in the mid part of the big ten, but he was almost a positive the last 5-8 games. He is always going to lack rebounding and he is slow footed, but one thing you cannont fault him for is effort and he has the best body language on the team. His teammates all seem to like him as well and pull for him. And gripe all you want but for the Gophers to not not be 10-14 place he will be a key cog next year.

not according to amelia, who has gone on record as saying king will not be a key part of next year's team. she didn't back down from that on twitter recently either.

Yeah I saw that as well, in a perfect world he is 7th-8th guy off the bench knock down some shots and fire up the crowd. I would argue that a 7th-8th guy is still a vital role. I am not holding my breath that this staff will find someone in the spring to replace him.

its funny how this thread has gone from rumors to nitpicking his recruiting (all of just over 2 classes)

I am in the belief that we will see next season how young Pitino is as a coach.
there are some bad signs of him not knowing enough about coaching to handle a bigten team but lets all take a shot of Jameson and R-E-L-A-X. if he fails we can worry about it then, for now we should all be looking forward to next season. if it turns out bad then Pitino's seat will become hot. if it turns out well and we can see progress then let's ride the bus and see where it takes us

its funny how this thread has gone from rumors to nitpicking his recruiting (all of just over 2 classes)

I am in the belief that we will see next season how young Pitino is as a coach.
there are some bad signs of him not knowing enough about coaching to handle a bigten team but lets all take a shot of Jameson and R-E-L-A-X. if he fails we can worry about it then, for now we should all be looking forward to next season. if it turns out bad then Pitino's seat will become hot. if it turns out well and we can see progress then let's ride the bus and see where it takes us

Please illuminate me DoubleB - what are the bad signs that he doesn't know enough about coaching a Big Ten team?

There are some signs, his timeout usage for me is really bad and put us in a bad position in Michigan, King was on the ground no where to throw it, no timeout, Pitino with around 12 minutes called a timeout after we had scored a couple of baskets in a row. Northwestern game his zone offense was awful, he tried the same thing over and over again would of liked to have seen him put two posts at the elbows and work from their anything but just lob pass after lob pass that is exactly what a zone wants. Every coach has their flaws he is getting banged around just like most coaches at 32 going up against what 5-7 future hall of fame coaches in the big ten. He has a longs way to go.

not according to amelia, who has gone on record as saying king will not be a key part of next year's team. she didn't back down from that on twitter recently either.
Good for her - taking a stand like that is inspiring!

Top Bottom