All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

I'm sorry, but this post is excessively reasonable and does not meet our GH inflammatory level standards. Please restate this in the form of an insult or incitement to drama escalation. Thank you.

you were looking for something more along the lines of

"Pitino cancels radio show" the ESPN am1500 radio show that normally tapes at noon on Mondays was abruptly cancelled this morning. The reason given was that the season was over.

speculation could ensue- but apparently Pitino was too busy getting ready to offer a 2017 recruit a scholarship to the University of.........Minnesota. Theo John could be a Gopher

you were looking for something more along the lines of

"Pitino cancels radio show" the ESPN am1500 radio show that normally tapes at noon on Mondays was abruptly cancelled this morning. The reason given was that the season was over.

speculation could ensue- but apparently Pitino was too busy getting ready to offer a 2017 recruit a scholarship to the University of.........Minnesota. Theo John could be a Gopher

Makes sense. Doogie hosts that show, right? And he tweeted something about how he had heard rumors of Pitino not liking it here. So it makes sense that Pitino would cancel the show.

Amongst AD's Doogie is not at all connected. Alabama does not have Pitino on their short list. They have reached out to Archie Millers reps and Bobby HURLEY. THEY will take a run at Shaka and Ben Jacobson. Greg Marshall will listen. Schools want someone who has proven what they can do. Pitino has tons to do in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by millions2spare View Post
How can Iowa,Iowa State, NDSU, Norther Iowa, Wisc win on a regular basis and Minnesota not? That is the mystery that is beyond any coach. .

I hope Pitino sticks it out as he could be here for a long time once he gets on a roll. It is possible to win in this cold climate as evidenced by m2s

How can Iowa,Iowa State, NDSU, Norther Iowa, Wisc win on a regular basis and Minnesota not? That is the mystery that is beyond any coach. .

I hope Pitino sticks it out as he could be here for a long time once he gets on a roll. It is possible to win in this cold climate as evidenced by m2s

Clem dug a pretty deep hole that was tough to get out of, Tubby almost made it, I think we are on the brink again, interesting to see what happens to Syracuse and how far down that program goes.

At some point you have to stick with a coach and have him stick with you. That's a basis for success. When that happens and you start to win- then you have a culture where players believe in the system, the coach and the school. Seniors start getting the other players to follow in line and do things the right way. When that happens, guys tell a kid like Martin that he has to stay patient and the staff will make him succeed.

Bo Ryan has that at Wisky. As good as Ryan is- he stepped into the ideal situation. Bennett had established the culture already and Ryan came in with a similar style to capitalize on it. Now kids are willing to sit on the sidelines for a year or two because all of the players are bought into the certainty of future success if they do it the Ryan way.

Pitino can do the same thing here if he wants to. This could be a great job that someday has the local kids lined up for a scholarship at the U of M.

At some point you have to stick with a coach and have him stick with you. That's a basis for success. When that happens and you start to win- then you have a culture where players believe in the system, the coach and the school. Seniors start getting the other players to follow in line and do things the right way. When that happens, guys tell a kid like Martin that he has to stay patient and the staff will make him succeed.

Bo Ryan has that at Wisky. As good as Ryan is- he stepped into the ideal situation. Bennett had established the culture already and Ryan came in with a similar style to capitalize on it. Now kids are willing to sit on the sidelines for a year or two because all of the players are bought into the certainty of future success if they do it the Ryan way.

Pitino can do the same thing here if he wants to. This could be a great job that someday has the local kids lined up for a scholarship at the U of M.

The other thing Ryan stepped into was talent. He had Devin Harris, Kirk Penney, Mike Wilkinson and Dave Mader on that first team. Pitino stepped into a depleted roster due to graduations.

The other thing Ryan stepped into was talent. He had Devin Harris, Kirk Penney, Mike Wilkinson and Dave Mader on that first team. Pitino stepped into a depleted roster due to graduations.

Bennett made Ryan's early years easy. Chances are that Ryan would have succeeded because he is a great basketball coach. But early success like he had, partially due to Bennett, was a big accelerator for him. What Bennett did was exactly what I had hoped Tubby would be able to do when he got here; win like crazy and then hand over the reigns to a successor while going out a winner with solid returning roster. Too bad, it just didn't work out that way.

Bennett made Ryan's early years easy. Chances are that Ryan would have succeeded because he is a great basketball coach. But early success like he had, partially due to Bennett, was a big accelerator for him. What Bennett did was exactly what I had hoped Tubby would be able to do when he got here; win like crazy and then hand over the reigns to a successor while going out a winner with solid returning roster. Too bad, it just didn't work out that way.

Yes, it meant that Ryan could hit the ground running. But he would have been successful anyway. It's interesting to wonder whether he'd have taken the Wisconsin job if the program and roster had been in disrepair.

Clem dug a pretty deep hole that was tough to get out of, Tubby almost made it, I think we are on the brink again, interesting to see what happens to Syracuse and how far down that program goes.

Do you mean on the brink in a bad way? I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I'm not ready to give up on Pitino or anything, but there wasn't anything I saw this year that makes me feel like we are on the cusp of a positive breakthrough.

Yes, it meant that Ryan could hit the ground running. But he would have been successful anyway. It's interesting to wonder whether he'd have taken the Wisconsin job if the program and roster had been in disrepair.

As I recall- the national impression was not that good when Ryan got the job. "Bo who?" Regionally, people knew Ryan's track record as a coach at a lower level. But could he make the jump or would Wisconsin return to the abyss which they had been in prior to Bennett? Had his first few years been rough- people might have panicked, making it tougher for him to do his thing.

Makes sense. Doogie hosts that show, right? And he tweeted something about how he had heard rumors of Pitino not liking it here. So it makes sense that Pitino would cancel the show.

no Doogie on that show-- hosted by Mike Grimm and Phil Mackey.

they have cancelled shows in the past so it wasn't unprecedented. But i was looking forward to the free lunch.

Do you mean on the brink in a bad way? I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I'm not ready to give up on Pitino or anything, but there wasn't anything I saw this year that makes me feel like we are on the cusp of a positive breakthrough.

The next two years could be rough, but I do see some light at the end of the tunnel in 2017-18. You will have seniors in Konate, Mason and Gaston. Juniors with McBryer(might be a senior), Jarvis, Dorsey, Nwanko, Ellison?, and sophomores(hopefully) Coffee, Hurt, a big, and frosh- Trent, John and Mar.

Perfect world of course....but this is recruiting only local kids after next season. That potentially would be a long, fast, deep and athletic team.

It's like with Kill. It took 4 years to really build it. As many have said, he needs 4 years to do this...and I'm sure his father has told him that.
Pitino isn't going anywhere.

The next two years could be rough, but I do see some light at the end of the tunnel in 2017-18. You will have seniors in Konate, Mason and Gaston. Juniors with McBryer(might be a senior), Jarvis, Dorsey, Nwanko, Ellison?, and sophomores(hopefully) Coffee, Hurt, a big, and frosh- Trent, John and Mar.

Perfect world of course....but this is recruiting only local kids after next season. That potentially would be a long, fast, deep and athletic team.

It's like with Kill. It took 4 years to really build it. As many have said, he needs 4 years to do this...and I'm sure his father has told him that.
Pitino isn't going anywhere.

So now we're giving him 5 years to make the Tournament? It's not at all like it was with Kill. For one thing, Kill inherited one of the worst teams in Gopher football history. For another, Kill had the football team in the postseason in year 2. So far, Pitino made it to the consolation tournament in year 1, and missed the postseason altogether in year 2. The football team has gotten demonstrably better each year under Kill. Pitino's team in year 1 was worse than the year before, and year 2 was worse than year 1. The trajectories couldn't be more different.

That would be an interesting research project...how many Big Ten coaches have been allowed to go 4 years without making the Tournament and still keep their job? Carmody is one for sure, but then again no Northwestern coach has ever made the Tournament. Outside of Northwestern, I wonder if it's happened since 1985.

That would be an interesting research project...how many Big Ten coaches have been allowed to go 4 years without making the Tournament and still keep their job? Carmody is one for sure, but then again no Northwestern coach has ever made the Tournament. Outside of Northwestern, I wonder if it's happened since 1985.

Dan Monson. Obviously he inherited a mess, but he didn't make the Tournament until the 6th year.

Go Gophers!!

So now we're giving him 5 years to make the Tournament? It's not at all like it was with Kill. For one thing, Kill inherited one of the worst teams in Gopher football history. For another, Kill had the football team in the postseason in year 2. So far, Pitino made it to the consolation tournament in year 1, and missed the postseason altogether in year 2. The football team has gotten demonstrably better each year under Kill. Pitino's team in year 1 was worse than the year before, and year 2 was worse than year 1. The trajectories couldn't be more different.

He's in deep trouble if he doesn't make it by year 4 IMO. However, it's always going to more complicated than that. If he is close but no cigar in year 4 and he has another good class of recruits on the way and people are optimistic that he's going to get it done- then he stays. If on the other hand the optimism for the future is gone and the recruiting is going dry- he's toast.

Tommy Amaker had 6 years at MICHIGAN and never made it.
John Beilein - incredible coach in my view had the following record his first 4 Big Ten seasons:
5-13, 9-9, 7-11, 9-9 He made two NCAAs and even advanced in both but he was treading water in the regular season and as Illinois can attest a 9-9 or better record in the Big Ten is not certain NCAA invite.

That's why personally, while making the NCAAs is very important and it must be done at some point- the arc of the program is more important because making it at 9-9 or 8-10 is just luck.

Pitino's team in year 1 was worse than the year before....

Pitino inherited such an embarrassment of riches...the team with the greatest season in the last 23 years of Gopher basketball....minus Mbakwe, minus Williams, minus Coleman, minus Welch, minus Ingram, minus a recruiting class.

Pitino inherited such an embarrassment of riches...the team with the greatest season in the last 23 years of Gopher basketball....minus Mbakwe, minus Williams, minus Coleman, minus Welch, minus Ingram, minus a recruiting class.

Details, details.

So now we're giving him 5 years to make the Tournament?

well, RP did just have his best ever second year as head coach (at the same school)

i don't see us making the tourny on the backs of Freshmen and Sophomores, so I'm guessing year 5, at the earliest

Chambers just finished year four at PSU with no tourny bids. Are there rumors he won't get a year 5?

So he took an already-depleted roster and has made it even worse. I'm glad we agree.

I remember going down to Williams Arena to see Pitino's presser and thinking- he sounds impressive, but look at the squad he's got coming back- the two Hollins, EE and big huge Mo was about it. Had he reversed the two seasons, we probably would feel better right now.

So he took an already-depleted roster and has made it even worse. I'm glad we agree.

Are you saying he made the roster worse than what he inherited? Are you saying that he would have done better had he kept Coleman and not brought in Matheui and King?

Or are you saying that the roster that he inherited was better than what he will have next year?

Or are you just being your usual self?

I Don't Agree

Pitino didn't inherit a team at all. He had the two Hollins coming back. 5 of the top 9 minutes performers were gone. The other two of the 9 that played were EE at 2.2 ppg and Maverick at 3.3 ppg who was universally criticized. Mo was on the roster along with Oto and nobody expected anything from either. No incoming recruits. He gets the job in APRIL and you don't think he salvaged what should have easily been the worst team in Gopher history into a respectable Big Ten representative? You expect that group to be better than Tubby's team with 5 guys gone and no recruits?
This year did not work. They lost close games. McNeil's defensive presence was critical. We lost our two best defenders in Austin and Mc Neil. Arguably our only two defenders. So, McNeil's loss was one major difference from winning those close losses. He provided depth, defense, some points with the hope of more to come, plus competition for his guard teammates to have to grind. Without him, there was nobody to take anybody's minutes as a guard. He had 15 points vs UMD on 6 of 7 shooting.
Make free throws and we have a whole different season. Lots of little things that didn't happen. We were very close to having a decent season without any players, again. Konate was not here all summer. Gas couldn't do anything until nearly January. Lots of things sabatoged what was close to a nice season. (We lost a lot of close games)
Pitino can coach. He does not deserve criticism for that.
He was great in picking up guys in the parking lot to play initially when he got the job. In his 2nd year he landed Mason. Morris is a Big Ten player. Konate and Gas are forced to play before their time with no foundation because of late arrival and starting raw. So, I think the analysis of Pitino is off base.
He can coach! Can he evaluate and secure talent? At least wait until we see what the 7 new guys look like coming in.

Are you saying he made the roster worse than what he inherited?

Yes.

Are you saying that he would have done better had he kept Coleman and not brought in Matheui and King?

Why does it have to be either/or? How about option C - recruiting players who are better than Coleman, Mathieu, and King? By the start of next season, he will have turned over 12 of the 13 scholarships available to him, and thus far those 12 scholarships have turned into 1 player with all-conference potential. That's embarrassing. Pitino and Collins took over at about the same time - Collins at a worse program with far more stringent academic requirements. Whose roster would you rather have right now? And recruiting is allegedly Pitino's best asset.

Or are you saying that the roster that he inherited was better than what he will have next year?

TBD, but I'm not optimistic.

Or are you just being your usual self?

Yes - thank you for the compliment! I am pretty awesome.

I'm pretty sure he understood seniors graduate and would not be here. He added Joey King, Malik Smith, Deandre Mathieu and Daquein McNeil.

I would imagine that Pitino unless he leaves on his own or things go so far south such as back to back 2-16 conference seasons he is going to get a full 5 years. This was Teague and Ellis's first hire for the revenue generating sports at this university I find it unlikely they will bail on the hire without giving it a fair amount of time.

We can argue if 5 years is too long but it seems certain they will see this through as long as they can.

Top Bottom