All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

If there is any truth to this he should do us a favor and jump to Cincy, if he's not 100% committed he's not going to be successful.

If he jumped to Cincy, just who would we get to coach the Gophers now that Hoiberg and Muss are of the table? Miles? No thanks.

How old is Bobby Knight?

If he jumped to Cincy, just who would we get to coach the Gophers now that Hoiberg and Muss are of the table? Miles? No thanks.

How old is Bobby Knight?

Pitino is not on any short or long list I've seen for the Cinci position, but if it did happen I'd throw Brian Dutcher in the mix. Not a flashy name but obvious ties to the U and B1G. Known as a great recruiter and player developer, and has a lot of post season experience.

Pitino is not on any short or long list I've seen for the Cinci position, but if it did happen I'd throw Brian Dutcher in the mix. Not a flashy name but obvious ties to the U and B1G. Known as a great recruiter and player developer, and has a lot of post season experience.

Good call.

How old is Bobby Knight?

I doubt there is anything to this one. However, just because a coach's name comes up at other jobs, and he even listens, that doesn't mean he is not 100% committed. Wichita State's coach is mentioned for every big job and he seems to be committed to what he is doing.

That said, at this late stage in the process, it would be a total train wreck to have a coaching switch. Players and recruits would move on with little left to replace them. Would Jeter or Linsted be candidates?

I doubt there is anything to this one. However, just because a coach's name comes up at other jobs, and he even listens, that doesn't mean he is not 100% committed. Wichita State's coach is mentioned for every big job and he seems to be committed to what he is doing.

That said, at this late stage in the process, it would be a total train wreck to have a coaching switch. Players and recruits would move on with little left to replace them. Would Jeter or Linsted be candidates?

Jeter could do it. That being said, its still early enough in the process to bring someone in. Its not like its 3 weeks before the season, and there are only so many power 6 school openings.

If there is any truth to this he should do us a favor and jump to Cincy, if he's not 100% committed he's not going to be successful.

My gut feel on this is, if in fact he is reaching out or flirting, it's not because he's not happy or committed here; it would be because he knows his seat is warm, which is reinforced by the apparent terms of the extension, which is more or less just a paper extension.

How old is Bobby Knight?

Step 1 you see if Mussleman can get out of his contract. Usually the full thing is not done when they announce. I think Tubby coached almost his entire first season with a "memo of understanding".

He's only ever coached a program he inherited and is near 60. Pass.

How is it late though? 3-4 coaches have been announced in the last 5 days. If it happens a month from now, then yes.

Jeter could do it. That being said, its still early enough in the process to bring someone in. Its not like its 3 weeks before the season, and there are only so many power 6 school openings.

We have 3-5 open scholarships. Who's going to commit to an interim coach?

First off, Pitino isn't leaving. But lets say in some crazy world he does, the first call I make it is Craig Smith at Utah St. Midwest roots (Miles assistant), did a great job at USD and had a great year at Utah St.

We have 3-5 open scholarships. Who's going to commit to an interim coach?

No one. I'm saying Jeter can coach, so if they wanted to stay in house to keep players, Jeter could do it.

My preference wouldnt be him

If Pitino left, I wouldnt be opposed to Tim Miles. I still think he can coach. Nebraska is a tougher job than Minnesota. But he has proven he can win.

First off, Pitino isn't leaving. But lets say in some crazy world he does, the first call I make it is Craig Smith at Utah St. Midwest roots (Miles assistant), did a great job at USD and had a great year at Utah St.

I'm with you. If Richard bolts, I'm road tripping to Utah and picking the dude up myself. Not leaving this to chance.

Jeff Goodman: Predicting St. John’s Next Head Basketball Coach

TAKE A SWING

Bobby Hurley, Arizona State – Cragg had better come in with a big-time offer, because otherwise he’ll have no shot at bringing Hurley back to the New York area. Hurley has taken ASU to a couple of NCAA tourneys, but is from Jersey City, N.J. – so this is intriguing to him.

Frank Martin, South Carolina – Martin took South Carolina to a Final Four a couple years ago, but it’s a football school. There are two issues with this one: the money, and also whether Cragg would go this route with a big personality like Martin (even though it’s exactly what they need).

Mike Brey, Notre Dame – Here’s another one that would likely say “no thanks,” but should at least get a call. Maybe Brey is ready for a new challenge.

Tommy Amaker, Harvard – Amaker has made Harvard relevant in college hoops, and he loves it there. There’s the Duke connection, but I just don’t see Amaker leaving for this one.

MAYBE

Richard Pitino, Minnesota – Cragg can’t touch his father due to the ongoing NCAA-Louisville investigation, but the younger Pitino could be in play. He’s taken Minnesota to the NCAA tourney two of the last three seasons.

https://watchstadium.com/news/predicting-st-johns-next-head-basketball-coach-04-10-2019/

Go Gophers!!

I could see him going to st John's. He is east coast and it's a job in an urban area

I could see him going to st John's. He is east coast and it's a job in an urban area

He hasn't been on the Upper East coast for awhile now. I think he'd go back "out east" but it'd be more SEC or ACC jobs that'd he'd have to be offered. (Big if at this point)

No one. I'm saying Jeter can coach, so if they wanted to stay in house to keep players, Jeter could do it.

My preference wouldnt be him

Really, so there isn’t paint drying for you watch or something? You have to get over this Pitino leaving fixation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, so there isn’t paint drying for you watch or something? You have to get over this Pitino leaving fixation!

i want pitino to stay. I know there are plenty of haters out there, but you better have proof before you hurl insults to a pitino supporter. We were just playing the theoretical game.

Why do you keep trying to shut down conversation on a conversation board? Shouldn't you be at Target keeping people from shopping?

For a multitude of reasons, topped by the fact that the U is and has not been very good at basketball. Message board chatter might be #500 on a list of why a local recruit doesn't go to the U. If you're sincere in your belief that message board chatter is in any way consequential and drives local recruits away - please seek psychiatric help.

Hate to bring this thread back up, but have any of you idiots read the recent comments from Tre Williams' mom?

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?88151-Tre-Williams-Mom-critical-of-fans-who-are-critical-of-Pitino-s-in-state-recruiting

Well, at least the idiots know who they are...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, at least the idiots know who they are...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't have asked for a better comment to prove my point about the lack of self-awareness. Classic.

I actually like Pitino and think he more than earned another year. But alchemy's bit is so foolish and childish it demands response. But it may be just that a bit, and I am falling for it hook line and sinker.

Last edited:

I couldn't have asked for a better comment to prove my point about the lack of self-awareness. Classic.

I actually like Pitino and think he more than earned another year. But alchemy's bit is so foolish and childish it demands response. But it may be just that a bit, and I am falling for it hook line and sinker.

Really? How ironic. Didn’t you think that recruits/families looking into a school would never do a Google search and possibly click on a link that sends them to comments on GH. Funny, but I think being naive is foolish and childish.

Really? How ironic. Didn’t you think that recruits/families looking into a school would never do a Google search and possibly click on a link that sends them to comments on GH. Funny, but I think being naive is foolish and childish.

I am pretty sure the families are aware that some people like a coach at a school and some don't. Don't really need a Google search for that.

Further, Pitino is not going anywhere. Not a single power 6 school is remotely interested. He would be at best a 6th or 7th choice.

Top Bottom