All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Not everyone who wants Pitino gone is posting in bad-faith. You can legitimately want Pitino gone. But some people on here are just being trolls and in no way are acting in good-faith

Just because someone thinks he has been mediocre at best does not mean they want him gone right now or that they are a troll. Someone can be completely unimpressed with him and dissatisfied and not be a troll. They can be a great fan wants better results then the garbage i have seen.

Just because someone thinks he has been mediocre at best does not mean they want him gone right now or that they are a troll. Someone can be completely unimpressed with him and dissatisfied and not be a troll. They can be a great fan wants better results then the garbage i have seen.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I'm talking about the posters in the rumor mill thread gleefully ruminating on the idea that Pitino leaves us for Arkansas. that is a terrible look for the program.

well I guess things will sure be interesting here the next few days with all these rumors.....I guess we are going from who do you want to hire if Pitino is fired....to who do you want to hire if Pitino leaves for another job?

1. Musselman
2. Howland

3. Craig Smith
4. Mike Anderson
5. Tim MIles
6. Otzelberger.

Admittedly having Oates and Hoiberg off the board makes the timing not great. I don't really "want" him gone at this point. But if Coffey is leaving it feels inevitable that we're having this conversation a year from now, so we may as well get it over with.

Last edited:

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I'm talking about the posters in the rumor mill thread gleefully ruminating on the idea that Pitino leaves us for Arkansas. that is a terrible look for the program.

Is there a shred of evidence that Arkansas is remotely interested. I am hearing nothing but scoffs and laughter but by no means do i hear everything. I am not sure it is a bad look to lose someone to Arkansas, they have a better tradition then we do and some of the wealthiest donors on the planet.

Is there a shred of evidence that Arkansas is remotely interested. I am hearing nothing but scoffs and laughter but by no means do i hear everything. I am not sure it is a bad look to lose someone to Arkansas, they have a better tradition then we do and some of the wealthiest donors on the planet.

There are multiple reports that he has talked to them. Doesn't mean he's high on the list though.

1. Musselman
2. Howland
3. Craig Smith
4. Mike Anderson
5. Tim MIles
6. Otzelberger.

Admittedly having Oates and Hoiberg off the board makes the timing not great.

Current Head Coaches
1 Smith (Option A)
2 Musselman (not as sold on him, but name might sell some tickets)
3 Medved (doubt he'd want to be the guy known as 4 schools in 4 years, but still high on him)

High Major Assistant
1 Fife

Worth A Flyer On A Former Head Coach?
1 Matta (is he healthy?)

I have not seen a thing about it from anyone credible.

Agree it's not a bad look for us. Probably a bad look for Arkansas.

As far as the idea that Pitino would have no interest in Arkansas:

Look, I don't read minds, and I generally ignore coach-speak. A lot of coaches have talked about how much they love their current job - and the next thing you know, they're out the door.

It's certainly possible that Pitino loves MN and really believes he can win here. But, it's also possible that he has doubts about whether he will be able to win big at MN, and he might be willing to consider an offer from another major-conference program. In terms of the merits of each program, Arkansas has won a National Title. In the 90's, they were in the Elite 8 four times. The program has been down a little in recent years, but they did make the NCAA tournament in 3 of the last 5 years. so it's not like MN is head and shoulders above Arkansas as a program. In fact, Arkansas probably has a better hoops resume than the Gophers.

So, I don't think it's crazy, or makes you a troll, to at least consider that there is a chance Pitino might take the Arkansas job if it was offered.

the bold part....
1st no coach is going to come on to gopherhole and check what fans are saying about Pitino and have that play a role in whether they take the job or not...sorry we aren't that important (and for the record im not one of them that is hoping Pitino leaves for the Arkansas job)
2nd Musselman
3rd Musselman

Don’t be so naive. Do a google search about Gopher sports items and GH posts show up. You post on a public board that is linked into internet search engines. It is a one spot to check if someone wants to get a feel for how the fans of a specific school feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Musselman
2. Howland

3. Craig Smith
4. Mike Anderson
5. Tim MIles
6. Otzelberger.

Admittedly having Oates and Hoiberg off the board makes the timing not great. I don't really "want" him gone at this point. But if Coffey is leaving it feels inevitable that we're having this conversation a year from now, so we may as well get it over with.

Otzelberger took the UNLV job a week ago.

Last edited:

Everyone in this thread wishing Pitino leaves for Arkansas is a joke. You guys read more like Russian trolls propping up Trump on Twitter than real fans who want the best for the program. There is just no logic in any of this. You all claim you want this program to be top 4 or 5 in the B1G10, yet you want some middling SEC school to hire away our coach? Do you know how bad that makes this program look? Being outbid by Arkansas? Why would a coach want to come here after watching Pitino achieve some relative success knowing that he was run out of town for undeservedly being on the hot seat? Better question, which coach at this juncture is even out there that you would want to replace Pitino? Even better question, which coach out there would actually perform better than Pitino?

If we lose Pitino, we are going through a complete rebuild. Full stop. Then we will go through 2 or 3 years of a new coach trying to establish he can do it here, which there is zero guarantee.

This board is toxic and filled with bad-faith posters. I'm not leaving but man this place sucks

Spot on. These numbskulls think they are posting in a vacuum. A majority of all the “hot seat” crap comes from just a handful of GH posters. You all complain about us not getting certain players. Would you sign here if you were a recruit and you read all this bogus crap you post?

Otzelberger took the UNLV job a week ago.

Beard had the UNLV job for like 2 weeks before Texas Tech came calling.

(Again, not that I think we are going to be looking for a new coach in the next few weeks.)

Spot on. These numbskulls think they are posting in a vacuum. A majority of all the “hot seat” crap comes from just a handful of GH posters. You all complain about us not getting certain players. Would you sign here if you were a recruit and you read all this bogus crap you post?

If you think recruits would not come to the University of Minnesota because of chatter about a coach on a message board then I'd like to talk to you about some oceanfront property in Maple Grove that I can get you a great deal on

It is wishful narcissism to think that their fan board postings are influencing recruits one way or the other.

If you think recruits would not come to the University of Minnesota because of chatter about a coach on a message board then I'd like to talk to you about some oceanfront property in Maple Grove that I can get you a great deal on

So why don’t all the local recruits come to the U? I am not saying that everyone is hanging onto every word you say, but recruits won’t go someplace if they think the fans suck! Or if the fanbase is constantly hating on the coach or the program. Posts on a popular fan message board is not like shooting the sh!t with your friends at the bar. Your comments last forever and are easily searched and sorted by anyone.

So why don’t all the local recruits come to the U?

For a multitude of reasons, topped by the fact that the U is and has not been very good at basketball. Message board chatter might be #500 on a list of why a local recruit doesn't go to the U. If you're sincere in your belief that message board chatter is in any way consequential and drives local recruits away - please seek psychiatric help.

A. Recruits aren't reading this in any significant way and if they are they don't care.

B. Every team has a similar board with similar discussions.

There was once an Iowa fan that trolled every Gopher recruit on Twitter relentlessly telling them how much we sucked, etc. I'm sure all of them deal with similar crap.

It is wishful narcissism to think that their fan board postings are influencing recruits one way or the other.

Ok, so let’s say you get a couple of job offers from various companies across the country. Are you going to just believe what the recruiter or future employer says about the company and what is it like to live in that city? No, you would do some of your own research. Is it a nice place to work, is it a sweatshop, do the promote from within, etc... Also, which neighborhood has the best school district, what do the commutes look like, what are the crime rates, do they have the activities that I enjoy, etc....

So you don’t think that at least some recruits, or their families, do their own research?

Ok, so let’s say you get a couple of job offers from various companies across the country. Are you going to just believe what the recruiter or future employer says about the company and what is it like to live in that city? No, you would do some of your own research. Is it a nice place to work, is it a sweatshop, do the promote from within, etc... Also, which neighborhood has the best school district, what do the commutes look like, what are the crime rates, do they have the activities that I enjoy, etc....

So you don’t think that at least some recruits, or their families, do their own research?

Let's put those examples into college basketball terms:

Is it a nice school to go to? Are the people in the basketball program and athletic department good to be with? Do the coaches overwork you? How convenient and nice are the facilities? Do I have time to do other activities I enjoy?

If they're looking for answers here, they're in the wrong place.

Most recruits are advised as part of their recruiting process to ignore message boards as too many ignorant posts and sabotage of the truth. Moms generally want safety and academics. Kids and the dads research coaches and accomplishments and playing opportunities after school. They actually ask who was ranked where and who got to the NBA etc... If you had a highly skilled kid looking to play power 6 basketball and he had offers from Ohio State, Indiana, Notre Dame, UW , Stanford and here you certainly would be looking at one loss records, conduct or arrest records, Professional success. We are seldom going to trump those schools unless a kid simply wants to stay home. There is a whole different level above where coaches body of work , evidence and then the wow factor of the coach in person. There are a dozen coaches that walk into a room, a AAU event , a high school where there is a huge buzz amongst families, coaches and players. Recruiting before success is really tough, that is why those rare gems of coaches put a identity in play of absolutes and then win something pretty damn early and then they attract even better players as time goes on. The great sign is how they go about finding under the radar guys that not only win big but actually get to the NBA as well as succeed in school and exhibit high character. My son has actually tracked performance and components of every successful non blue blood program and the similarities are plain as day.

Top Bottom