All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

NC State just hired Kevin Keatts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Seattle area typically has a lot of good talent, a big reason why Lorenzo Romar lasted so long. The problem is that over the last 10 years or so, Gonzaga has turned into a legitimate blue blood in terms of recruiting and national spotlight, so they have become the defacto power team in the state of Washington. Makes the Washington job much tougher and less appealing.

What?!?

Mizzou is a better job than Washington. Not that hard to finish 3rd in the SEC. Not hard in the Pac 12 either I guess, but I'd still take Mizzou any day.

Monson turned down Washington to stay at Minnesota despite his coaching roots being there. I'd be very surprised if Pitino ended up at Washington if Coyle wanted to keep him.

Washington is not pursuing coach Pitino. Why do people post schools that have not shown any interest and are already talking to their priority hire right now.

Why do people worry that much. Coaches who have had some success at a big conference school rarely leave for another gig as you have built your own program. Pitino just strikes me, based on what he has said, that he would rather build his program than inherit a program and simply be the next guy. Who knows - we will see. This is a good job now though, so why worry.

per CasualHoya.com:

No doubt Amaker and Ewing would have backers, though neither would be a bold hire, the kind Georgetown made in 1972 when it plucked a local High School coach named John Thompson for the job. Current High School coaches need not apply, but the point is the school could go in other directions beyond hitting iron off the tee. Dayton’s Archie Miller, Minnesota’s Richard Pitino, former Indiana coach Tom Crean and Rhode Island’s Danny Hurley are names often mentioned for most prominent openings. Jamion Christian, 34, just led Mount St. Mary’s to a second NCAA Tournament appearance in four seasons. For those wondering, no former Thompson assistants would make for obvious candidates.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/3/23...amaker-shaka-smart-patrick-ewing-danny-hurley

Go Gophers!!

Assuming that he's interested, Ewing seems like a no-brainer for the Georgetown job.

Why do people worry that much. Coaches who have had some success at a big conference school rarely leave for another gig as you have built your own program. Pitino just strikes me, based on what he has said, that he would rather build his program than inherit a program and simply be the next guy. Who knows - we will see. This is a good job now though, so why worry.

Because our fans got burned by Holtz 30 years ago, and since then assume all coaches are going to abandon us. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not.

I mean come on....what coach wouldn't want to leave a loaded roster with state of the art facilities about to open. Pitino would be insane to leave right now given what he has built here, especially before he gets to enjoy the potential payoff.

Because our fans got burned by Holtz 30 years ago, and since then assume all coaches are going to abandon us. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not.

I mean come on....what coach wouldn't want to leave a loaded roster with state of the art facilities about to open. Pitino would be insane to leave right now given what he has built here, especially before he gets to enjoy the potential payoff.

The fear Minnesotan's have about coaches leaving is so bizarre to me. Holtz left for his supposed dream job at Notre Dame....a school you could argue is the premiere name brand in college football. I feel like their should be more hand wringing over the Gophers record in revenue sports as opposed to whether a coach will stay when they actually win big...lets get the win big part of the equation out of the way and then deal with the potential ramifications of losing a coach...which has happened exactly once.

I am surprised to see Pitino's name in the rumor mill as I don't see him as a very attractive candidate even after the Gophers turnaround this year. I personally like Pitino, but his conference record, number of off the court incidents, and lack of tournament success in four years don't exactly scream "hire me". It's because of this, that I actually think Pitino could leave if he gets the right offer. Think about it from his perspective: the AD in charge did not hire him and has already made a move to change football coaches, a regression on the court next year could easily put him back on the hot seat at Minnesota and damage his prospects of landing another high major job...at this time last year it had to at least cross his mind that he'd have to go back to being an assistant again if things didn't turn around.

I think there are more reasons Pitino would want to stay: He's got this program headed in the right direction with new facilities opening soon and recruiting seems to be on the upswing. People are getting excited about Gopher Basketball again and being the only D1 in a state that produces a solid amount of talent becomes a major positive as long as the program is on good footing. He's got a very young family and moving to a new place where he'll likely have to build from the bottom up again (installing his schemes, recruiting his type of players, getting to know the "right" boosters and influential people at a University) wouldn't seem to be attractive. Also, while I don't think he's "earned" it yet, Minnesota has shown a willingness and ability to pay big $$$ to a head basketball coach. Outside of the Kentucky's and UCLA's of the world, Minnesota can compete with just about anyone else in regards to salary.

What does this moron mean when he says the names most mentioned for the most prominent jobs ! Of those names only archie Miller gets mentioned for the big jobs. Richard is not going anywhere and is not being pursued.

So we're down to talking about things that might potentially become rumors. We sure are masochistic.

What does this moron mean when he says the names most mentioned for the most prominent jobs ! Of those names only archie Miller gets mentioned for the big jobs. Richard is not going anywhere and is not being pursued.

I agree, Pitino isn't going anywhere. Look how long it took him to get Minnesota to 4th in the B1G. He's got some good recruiting classes lined up and the future is bright. I can't imagine it would be a good career move to go somewhere else now and start that process over. His best bet at future success is to continue this upward trend and fleece a B1G school for as much tv money as he can get. That's what I'd do.

per CasualHoya:

Georgetown Head Coach Candidate: Richard Pitino

Casual Hoya’s award-winning head coaching candidate series rolls on with the University of Minnesota’s Richard Pitino. There have been rumblings that Pitino may be interested in the Georgetown job. But is he ready?

As you likely already know or deduced, Richard Pitino is the son and namesake of Louisville’s hall of fame coach Rick Pitino. Richard went into the family business early, working as a manager while a student at Providence, a program that his father had taken to the Final Four two decades earlier. After graduation, Richard became an itinerant assistant coach, making six stops in eight years, including twice working for his father at Louisville and serving for two years as an assistant on Billy Donovan’s staff at Florida. In 2012, Pitiñito was hired as the head coach at Florida International, succeeding Isiah Thomas. Ricky only spent only one season in Miami, almost making the NCAA Tournament, before making the leap to Minnesota.

Pitino’s tenure with the Golden Gophers has been uneven, albeit with hints of progress lately. He took over a program that had been modestly successful but a bit stale under Tubby Smith, advancing to the Round of 32 in the 2013 NCAA Tournament before Smith was fired. In its first season under Pitino, a largely overhauled Gophers roster won the NIT. The next two teams regressed as Pitino struggled to attract top-tier talent to Minneapolis, bottoming out in 2015-16 with an 8-23 record. That only told part of the story, as the team was marred by a series of off-the-court incidents. In ‘14-’15, two players were dismissed from the team, one for being charged with assaulting his girlfriend, to which he later pled guilty. Freshman point guard (and DMV product) Kevin Dorsey reportedly tweeted out a video of him and another man engaged in a sexual encounter with a woman. Dorsey and two other Gophers were eventually suspended, with Dorsey eventually transferring.

With those issues in the rearview, this year was a breath of fresh air. Pitino brought in Amir Coffey, a top-50 recruit, while previous talented recruiting classes developed. The Gophers finished 24-10 thanks to a top-25 defense, earning their first trip to the Dance since the Tubby era.

Pitino’s teams play fast and hard, an aesthetically pleasing open-court style reminiscent in some ways of his father’s teams. He’s shown the ability to recruit to Minnesota—not an easy task—by landing in-state talent like Coffey as well as out-of-state recruits like four-star 2017 point guard Isaiah Washington, whom the Gophers plucked from New York. Pitino’s name, one of the most famous in the sport, would carry weight with recruits.

But there are concerns as well. Hiring Pitino, who’s just 34, would be a big bet. While he’s done well turning around FIU and appears to be rebuilding Minnesota, he has appeared in just a single NCAA Tournament game, which came this year when his team lost to — gulp — a double-digit seed. That was a very talented Middle Tennessee State team, but Hoya fans may not view a justifiable loss to a plucky mid-major as an attractive resume line. Pitino’s down years in Minnesota were accompanied by scandal, which won’t fly at Georgetown, particularly his father’s teams’ issues with off-the-court behavior. And while Georgetown presumably is looking for a coach it can rely on long-term, Pitino has jumped from one stop to the next.

Ultimately, Richard Pitino looks like a promising young coaching candidate but maybe not the best fit for Georgetown at this time.

Desirability Rating: 3 out of 10.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/3/24/15051690/georgetown-hoyas-head-coach-candidate-richard-pitino

Go Gophers!!

There's no NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, nor state income tax in Knoxville.

Not having the NBA is actually a negative, I have heard coaches say they actually use this as a selling point to recruits. They tell the recruits that they will get a lot of exposure to NBA scouts

Not having the NBA is actually a negative, I have heard coaches say they actually use this as a selling point to recruits. They tell the recruits that they will get a lot of exposure to NBA scouts

Oops, Tennessee does have the NBA, the NFL, and the NHL. Tennessee is also redneck.

per CasualHoya:

Georgetown Head Coach Candidate: Richard Pitino

Casual Hoya’s award-winning head coaching candidate series rolls on with the University of Minnesota’s Richard Pitino. There have been rumblings that Pitino may be interested in the Georgetown job. But is he ready?

As you likely already know or deduced, Richard Pitino is the son and namesake of Louisville’s hall of fame coach Rick Pitino. Richard went into the family business early, working as a manager while a student at Providence, a program that his father had taken to the Final Four two decades earlier. After graduation, Richard became an itinerant assistant coach, making six stops in eight years, including twice working for his father at Louisville and serving for two years as an assistant on Billy Donovan’s staff at Florida. In 2012, Pitiñito was hired as the head coach at Florida International, succeeding Isiah Thomas. Ricky only spent only one season in Miami, almost making the NCAA Tournament, before making the leap to Minnesota.

Pitino’s tenure with the Golden Gophers has been uneven, albeit with hints of progress lately. He took over a program that had been modestly successful but a bit stale under Tubby Smith, advancing to the Round of 32 in the 2013 NCAA Tournament before Smith was fired. In its first season under Pitino, a largely overhauled Gophers roster won the NIT. The next two teams regressed as Pitino struggled to attract top-tier talent to Minneapolis, bottoming out in 2015-16 with an 8-23 record. That only told part of the story, as the team was marred by a series of off-the-court incidents. In ‘14-’15, two players were dismissed from the team, one for being charged with assaulting his girlfriend, to which he later pled guilty. Freshman point guard (and DMV product) Kevin Dorsey reportedly tweeted out a video of him and another man engaged in a sexual encounter with a woman. Dorsey and two other Gophers were eventually suspended, with Dorsey eventually transferring.

With those issues in the rearview, this year was a breath of fresh air. Pitino brought in Amir Coffey, a top-50 recruit, while previous talented recruiting classes developed. The Gophers finished 24-10 thanks to a top-25 defense, earning their first trip to the Dance since the Tubby era.

Pitino’s teams play fast and hard, an aesthetically pleasing open-court style reminiscent in some ways of his father’s teams. He’s shown the ability to recruit to Minnesota—not an easy task—by landing in-state talent like Coffey as well as out-of-state recruits like four-star 2017 point guard Isaiah Washington, whom the Gophers plucked from New York. Pitino’s name, one of the most famous in the sport, would carry weight with recruits.

But there are concerns as well. Hiring Pitino, who’s just 34, would be a big bet. While he’s done well turning around FIU and appears to be rebuilding Minnesota, he has appeared in just a single NCAA Tournament game, which came this year when his team lost to — gulp — a double-digit seed. That was a very talented Middle Tennessee State team, but Hoya fans may not view a justifiable loss to a plucky mid-major as an attractive resume line. Pitino’s down years in Minnesota were accompanied by scandal, which won’t fly at Georgetown, particularly his father’s teams’ issues with off-the-court behavior. And while Georgetown presumably is looking for a coach it can rely on long-term, Pitino has jumped from one stop to the next.

Ultimately, Richard Pitino looks like a promising young coaching candidate but maybe not the best fit for Georgetown at this time.

Desirability Rating: 3 out of 10.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/3/24/15051690/georgetown-hoyas-head-coach-candidate-richard-pitino

Go Gophers!!

Is the Georgetown gig even a desirable job anymore?

Is the Georgetown gig even a desirable job anymore?

Recruiting base, lots of competition but winning there can go a long way as far as recruiting is concerned, wouldn't take much to turn it around.

Recruiting base, lots of competition but winning there can go a long way as far as recruiting is concerned, wouldn't take much to turn it around.

Georgetown has a lot of competition for that recruiting base right now. Maryland, Villanova, Virginia, Virginia Tech, VCU, West Virginia, and the North Carolina blue bloods are all at an elite level or at least on the rise. When you look at that level of local competition, it makes you value Minnesota's position of being the only D1 program in a state that has been producing a lot of high major D1 talent for at least the last 10 years. For the most part we only have to worry about Wisconsin and the occasional blue blood when we produce a Tyus/Tre Jones-level talent.

Top Bottom