All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

It's clear to me that Rayno is in a spiteful mood because of what's about to happen to UNC. I'm serious.

It's clear to me that Rayno is in a spiteful mood because of what's about to happen to UNC. I'm serious.

This, along with her journalistic ability, makes you wonder... If we should investigate the validity of Ms. Rayno's Chapel Hill degree :rolleyes:

Coaching searches are always fun

And

I don't get all the Amelia bashing.

I'm afraid that title goes to Myron Metcalf.

True. I think a lot of her early popularity was due to her looks and because she was replacing that hack Myron...

She's an average beat writer.

True. I think a lot of her early popularity was due to her looks and because she was replacing that hack Myron... She's an average beat writer.

I think that beat writers are greatly constrained by tight editing, deadlines and increasingly controlled access to their sources. They rarely get scoops and their articles are often stale by the time they come out. I'll bet the job doesn't pay that well either. Considering the inherent constraints of the job, I think she's pretty good.

I think that beat writers are greatly constrained by tight editing, deadlines and increasingly controlled access to their sources. They rarely get scoops and their articles are often stale by the time they come out. I'll bet the job doesn't pay that well either. Considering the inherent constraints of the job, I think she's pretty good.

I agree. I enjoyed her articles this summer, in particular. The grammatical errors are a little bit head scratching for that profile of a job. However, what do people expect from a content standpoint?

If you read this site long enough....there isn't a journalist/radio personality in town worth reading or listening to.

I agree. I enjoyed her articles this summer, in particular. The grammatical errors are a little bit head scratching for that profile of a job. However, what do people expect from a content standpoint?

If you read this site long enough....there isn't a journalist/radio personality in town worth reading or listening to.

Except for Sid.

I don't know if that's a problem with gopherhole or with the TC media's portrayal of Minnesota athletics.

Seriously? A raise because of an NIT banner? "Realistically compensated"? Is that all our expectations are? Amelia should go work for TMZ...nothing more than speculation. She has no more connection to Pitino than any of us.

He will get an extension this year if/when we make the tourney and win the first round game. I am not entirely sure there are too many positions that he would jump at if they don't include: Louisville, North Carolina, Mich. State, Michigan, Duke, etc..

It would have to be a big school that would come calling. I don't see any team losing their coach, maybe Michigan in a few years. Maybe. And Louisville when Rick retires. I think all this speculation is ridiculous really. UCLA just hired a new coach, maybe UConn or Kentucky if one of them got hired for the NBA? That's my only thought on all that. I truly believe a young coach with an AD like Norwood can thrive, and Pitino is already in the top 30 with his first real recruiting class. When he starts winning, he shouldn't have a problem with pulling in a top 15-20 class in the next couple years. After that, hopefully we will have raised enough for a good practice facility. Winning solves everything.

I agree. I enjoyed her articles this summer, in particular. The grammatical errors are a little bit head scratching for that profile of a job. However, what do people expect from a content standpoint? If you read this site long enough....there isn't a journalist/radio personality in town worth reading or listening to.

Editors are supposed to catch grammatical errors.

Really?? To each his own. The fact that she posted recruiting news that was often times 2-3 weeks old made me question how plugged in she actually is to the program.

Really?? To each his own. The fact that she posted recruiting news that was often times 2-3 weeks old made me question how plugged in she actually is to the program.

I should have clarified. I don't read Amelia for her recruiting news. I'm more interested in her blogs on the current players, coaches, etc.....I rely on Twitter and updates I get on Gopher Hole from people (including yourself, by the way) to get my recruiting news. If the bar is set by how much news she breaks, then yes you are right. She falls short in that regard.

The focus really shouldn't be on Richard's contract. A raise after missing the NCAA tournament is not a realistic expectation. What Amelia (and others) should be noticing is that Richard is not hearing the word "no" a lot from Norwood. Since the season ended, the "U" has continued to make upgrades to the temporary practice facility, added a barber's chair (!) to Williams, and renovated the Williams Arena locker room. These types of things matter to coaches and it's pretty clear that Norwood is in Richard's corner. If and when Coach Pitino gets offers from other programs, I think Norwood will be there with both the cash and the solid relationship to keep him in the Twin Cities.

Amelia wrote, " Why should he say no to other programs with more assets." Uhhhhhh, he already turned down Tennessee, which is top 10 in athletic department revenue and have some of the best facilities in the country. It's not like we are a mid major or something and can't compete salary wise. I think Tubby was in the 15-20 range of top paid coaches.

Are we supposed to think that a NIT championship is a step up? Teague FIRED Tubby after he went to the second round of the Tournament. How is a NIT championship possibly be a step up?

Are other ADs supposed to be impressed if the Gophers make the tournament this year? We're supposed to make the tournament this year. Nearly all publications have us as a top-40 team. Historically, we're one of the best 50 programs. We're a program that's supposed to make the tournament. I'm pretty sure that Pitino won't have a lotttt of suitors if he makes the Tournament this year.

Typical MN fandom here. A beat writer answered a fan's question on a *blog* about Pitino's potential career arch and the board critiques every last word and phrase, claims that she should be banished, and complains that we deserve better writers.

Relax people, she's a beat writer waiting for the season to start so there is real material and opinions to write about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amelia wrote, " Why should he say no to other programs with more assets." Uhhhhhh, he already turned down Tennessee, which is top 10 in athletic department revenue and have some of the best facilities in the country. It's not like we are a mid major or something and can't compete salary wise. I think Tubby was in the 15-20 range of top paid coaches.

He was. And Richard can be too. The basketball program is also one of the 20 most profitable programs in D1. Outside of the practice facility, there is nothing that MN can't match when competing against anyone outside of the top dozen jobs.

Typical MN fandom here. A beat writer answered a fan's question on a *blog* about Pitino's potential career arch and the board critiques every last word and phrase, claims that she should be banished, and complains that we deserve better writers.

Relax people, she's a beat writer waiting for the season to start so there is real material and opinions to write about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that you Amelia?....... If it is, you're a terrible beat writer.

I don't read no sports wrote by no girl! Derpy derp derp! Dey took our jobs!

I don't read no sports wrote by no girl! Derpy derp derp! Dey took our jobs!

I don't think people are bringing gender into this, just saying she's not very good on the beat.

I agree with those people...I do think her long features (this spring's on Elliott and the recent one on Mathieu) have been fantastic though.

I don't think people are bringing gender into this, just saying she's not very good on the beat.

I agree with those people...I do think her long features (this spring's on Elliott and the recent one on Mathieu) have been fantastic though.

Agreed, I like her special interest pieces. She should stick to those and try to carve out her career path that way.

I like Amelia's features better than Sid's features.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Lol. Every year the rumors about every crap SEC job. Of course Bama has unlimited $$ if they tell boosters it's for Saban's 3rd summer home.

Lol. Every year the rumors about every crap SEC job. Of course Bama has unlimited $$ if they tell boosters it's for Saban's 3rd summer home.

This same dude Tweeted something about Pitino/Alabama earlier this year. As far as I can tell he's just a fan and shouldn't be taken any more seriously than that guy in Arizona who Tweeted that Shaka had agreed to a deal with Minnesota a couple years ago. Actually, the Shaka guy actually had some basketball credentials, but a similar situation.

Top Bottom