All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Minnesota and NC State are essentially equals. Those numbers you posted do not prove NC State is a better job. This is just another perfect example of your bizarre need to correct people even when it's subjective like this. You are the contrarian of Gopherhole. You're not happy unless you can prove someone else wrong but in this case just like several others you are trying way to hard. It is a VERY reasonable argument to say that leaving Minnesota right now for NC State is NOT a step up. Yet here you are trying your best to prove you're right.

There's no point in trying to reason with the Cliff Clavin of Gopherhole. Dude has made the same post probably hundreds of times on this site denying that the Gophers went to the final four, LOL. The lack of an ignore feature (at least that I'm aware of) is a real detriment to Gopherhole, would clean up the junk in a lot of threads.

There's no point in trying to reason with the Cliff Clavin of Gopherhole. Dude has made the same post probably hundreds of times on this site denying that the Gophers went to the final four, LOL. The lack of an ignore feature (at least that I'm aware of) is a real detriment to Gopherhole, would clean up the junk in a lot of threads.

There is an ignore feature. Just click on the poster's name, then click on the "Add to Ignore List" button.

Have you been to NC State ? The arena and facilities are off the chart. They are willing to pay 3.5. It is not just about the challenge, the ACC WENT 17-6 this year and does better in the tourney. It does have a richer basketball tradition. Heck , i cheer for the Big Ten but nationally the rep of the ACC is much better and the historical perception of NCST is one that is a great deal better than Minnesota. You have to have some huge years for a sustained period of time. Look at the Gophers record every year in conference history and it is very mediocre. I give my money here hoping to change that. We can not pretend to be near equal to what they have done but we can support trying to get there.

Revenue

B1G revenues are a lot higher than the ACC, no comparison.

Minnesota Athletics per USA today are 18th at 111 million, North Carolina State 43 at 76 million, the only ACC school with higher revenue is Florida State.

Facillities

With the athletic village comming online in 2018 there won't be any that are much better.

Recruiting

For basketball Minnesota isn't a bad location, a decent level of local talent and only 1 division 1 school, a little remote for out of state players but I'm just not sure being remote is that important anymore.

Tradition

Probably the one thing you can ding Minnesota on, judging from the support basketball is getting, a winner will be very well received though.

Outside of a top tier basketball school I don't see Pitino leaving.

Pitino will either want to be at one of the top 5-8 schools that win almost despite who the coach is, or he really means it when he says he wants to build his own program here that wins consistently. I think he wants this to be his program, instead of being simply the next coach at a program. We will fin out though, and if it's not him there will be someone who wants to do it.

There are not a lot of coaches that leave Big Ten or ACC type programs if they start winning, because if you're winning you have a good thing going in a top conference with resources - not just here, but in any of these top conferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you been to NC State ? The arena and facilities are off the chart. They are willing to pay 3.5. It is not just about the challenge, the ACC WENT 17-6 this year and does better in the tourney. It does have a richer basketball tradition. Heck , i cheer for the Big Ten but nationally the rep of the ACC is much better and the historical perception of NCST is one that is a great deal better than Minnesota. You have to have some huge years for a sustained period of time. Look at the Gophers record every year in conference history and it is very mediocre. I give my money here hoping to change that. We can not pretend to be near equal to what they have done but we can support trying to get there.

NC State just fired a coach who made 4 tourney trips with 2 Sweet 16's but now had two bad years in a row. If year 2 and 3 for Pitino's Gophers had happened at NC State, Pitino would have already been canned.

They may have better tradition but they also may have unrealistic expectations.

I'm not really agreeing or disagreeing with anyone on this thread, but NC State is kind of a tough job. It reminds me a little bit of Nebraska in football. Historically, they are a better program than ours. They are a step up. I think that sort of historical context can give a program a set of unrealistic expectations. They are willing to pay a lot of money for a coach, they have good facilities, they have a great fanbase, but they aren't perfectly set up for success. For NC State, they are third fiddle in North Carolina. Because they have all of these nice things, their expectations are pretty high.

So, while I think it's a better program, I'm not sure it's a better job.

We are seeing a lot of coaches make this distinction now. IF they can get similar money at a place that is easier to win (and often has more realistic expectations), it's hard to get a basketball coach to leave.

If Pitino puts together a program that makes the NCAA most years, finishes in the top 3 of the Big 10 every four or so years and makes a couple NCAA runs. He'll be a god here. That is essentially what was going on with Clem and Clem had 100% job security before, well, ya know.

What makes you think the B1G wins next year's challenge?
I'm not sure how the contract between the ACC and ESPN works, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC brings in more revenue.

That being said, I don't see a reason why Richard would be drawn to another school when he repeatedly has said this group of kids is the most selfless group he's ever been around. He's in a great spot right now in Minnesota.

We weren't all that far off this year a fair number of close games lost in the challenge(VaTech vs Mich, Minnesota v FSU, Clemson vs. Nebraska, Virginia vs OSU all close games went acc way). Next year in the BIG we should only have a drop off of wisconsin(I'm not giving gard the benefit of the doubt compared to ryan) and maybe michigan. Everyone else should improve or at least maintain.

The BTN brings us the most money than any other conference not named SEC with their network.

We weren't all that far off this year a fair number of close games lost in the challenge(VaTech vs Mich, Minnesota v FSU, Clemson vs. Nebraska, Virginia vs OSU all close games went acc way). Next year in the BIG we should only have a drop off of wisconsin(I'm not giving gard the benefit of the doubt compared to ryan) and maybe michigan. Everyone else should improve or at least maintain.

The BTN brings us the most money than any other conference not named SEC with their network.
Purdue hinges on swanigan right? Haas a senior?

Purdue hinges on swanigan right? Haas a senior?

Haas is a junior this year. The have the #4 player(a PF) in the country by 247 sports coming in next year so I figured that would be a touch of a drop off but combine that with improvements from Edwards and Haas and you got a similar level basketball team.

If Pitino puts together a program that makes the NCAA most years, finishes in the top 3 of the Big 10 every four or so years and makes a couple NCAA runs. He'll be a god here. That is essentially what was going on with Clem and Clem had 100% job security before, well, ya know.

That's the thing...the pressure to be elite isn't part of the job here. Clem was held in very high regard and could have been at the U until retirement; and let's be realistic, he has a very good, but far from elite basketball program at the U. If you can get paid very well to be at the U and don't need the pressure that comes with being part of a blue blood program, heck why not?!

As an added bonus, the U is the only program in a state that has plenty of bball talent.

Haas is a junior this year. The have the #4 player(a PF) in the country by 247 sports coming in next year so I figured that would be a touch of a drop off but combine that with improvements from Edwards and Haas and you got a similar level basketball team.

Had to look this up, as I figured I would have seen something about it if Purdue landed a player of that caliber. He's a juco player, so he's the #4 juco on 247 and is a 3 star. They do have one 4-star among the 5(!) players they're bringing in. Didn't realize they'd have that many open scholarships.

Had to look this up, as I figured I would have seen something about it if Purdue landed a player of that caliber. He's a juco player, so he's the #4 juco on 247 and is a 3 star. They do have one 4-star among the 5(!) players they're bringing in. Didn't realize they'd have that many open scholarships.

Gotcha, thats really confusing that 247 does that that way. Ignore my comment and purdue falls back a touch next year then.

NC State just fired a coach who made 4 tourney trips with 2 Sweet 16's but now had two bad years in a row. If year 2 and 3 for Pitino's Gophers had happened at NC State, Pitino would have already been canned.

They may have better tradition but they also may have unrealistic expectations.

This. In the Jim Valvano era, NC State was right there with Duke and UNC. They no longer are and haven't been for 20 years. But their fans/admin still think they should be. And now they have to deal with Syracuse, Louisville and a resurgent UVa. Tough situation.

I'm not really agreeing or disagreeing with anyone on this thread, but NC State is kind of a tough job. It reminds me a little bit of Nebraska in football. Historically, they are a better program than ours. They are a step up. I think that sort of historical context can give a program a set of unrealistic expectations. They are willing to pay a lot of money for a coach, they have good facilities, they have a great fanbase, but they aren't perfectly set up for success. For NC State, they are third fiddle in North Carolina. Because they have all of these nice things, their expectations are pretty high.

So, while I think it's a better program, I'm not sure it's a better job.

We are seeing a lot of coaches make this distinction now. IF they can get similar money at a place that is easier to win (and often has more realistic expectations), it's hard to get a basketball coach to leave.

Well written post. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Shooter:

Does Rick Pitino ever get questions about Richard some day succeeding him at Louisville?

“All the time,” Rick said. “And I tell them this: A, Richard wants to blaze his own trail, and B, he truly loves Minnesota. Somebody said to me the other day about a job that was rumored to be open, and (Richard) said, ‘Hey, we’ve got this new ($166 million) Athletes Village opening up, and this is going to be a special job.’

“He said this can be just like Wisconsin someday, only a different style of play. And he loves the new (athletics director), Mark Coyle. He thinks they’ve got very good home-grown talent, he’s got a special job and he said we’re making it more special once we get the players we need to get in.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/25/charley-walters-gophers-success-has-rick-pitino-beaming/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Does Rick Pitino ever get questions about Richard some day succeeding him at Louisville?

“All the time,” Rick said. “And I tell them this: A, Richard wants to blaze his own trail, and B, he truly loves Minnesota. Somebody said to me the other day about a job that was rumored to be open, and (Richard) said, ‘Hey, we’ve got this new ($166 million) Athletes Village opening up, and this is going to be a special job.’

“He said this can be just like Wisconsin someday, only a different style of play. And he loves the new (athletics director), Mark Coyle. He thinks they’ve got very good home-grown talent, he’s got a special job and he said we’re making it more special once we get the players we need to get in.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/25/charley-walters-gophers-success-has-rick-pitino-beaming/

Go Gophers!!

Bingo! Rick and Richard have been saying the same thing ever since he got offered the job at the U. This is a great place to build a program, it is all about getting in the right level of players. This season is the turning point for the Pitino era at Minnesota. Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is hard to argue the ACC tradition in basketball. But remember in the challenge the ACC has only beat the Big Ten once in the past eight years.

Jen is Washington's AD:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Jen is Washington's AD:

Go Gophers!!

I'm not actually too worried about losing Pitino.
Doing a good job, but I don't think it's impossible to find another coach who can succeed here.

I might be wrong, but I'm not losing sleep over it tonight.

Looks like Washington is reaching out to Eric M. and his representatives.

Pitino has this squad locked and loaded for next year. No reason to go anywhere at the moment as he will make plenty here and be certain of a really good team to coach. Most openings (with the exception of the two Big Ten openings) are rebuilds.

Pitino has this squad locked and loaded for next year. No reason to go anywhere at the moment as he will make plenty here and be certain of a really good team to coach. Most openings (with the exception of the two Big Ten openings) are rebuilds.

This time 1,000,000.....

Fans here love to wring their hands and worry about coaches leaving but why would Pitino be in any hurry to get out of town? He has a loaded roster coming back, recruiting is on the rise, the fanbase is buzzing again, shiny new facilities are about to open, and he has an administration that has shown they are willing to pay coaches (Fleck hire).

I know we have an inferiority complex here but frankly if he were to bolt for some crazy reason I would love our chances of bringing in an awesome replacement because this would be an extremely attractive job.

This time 1,000,000.....

Fans here love to wring their hands and worry about coaches leaving but why would Pitino be in any hurry to get out of town? He has a loaded roster coming back, recruiting is on the rise, the fanbase is buzzing again, shiny new facilities are about to open, and he has an administration that has shown they are willing to pay coaches (Fleck hire).

I know we have an inferiority complex here but frankly if he were to bolt for some crazy reason I would love our chances of bringing in an awesome replacement because this would be an extremely attractive job.

If I were Pitino, I'd want to stick around and enjoy the fruits of what I've built, especially the incoming class and the athletic facilities. The next few years is the payoff of everything he's worked for.

Jen is Washington's AD:

Go Gophers!!

Washington seems like a lateral move at best. Doesn't make sense that he would throw away the last four years and the recruits he's got coming in to move sideways.

Washington seems like a lateral move at best. Doesn't make sense that he would throw away the last four years and the recruits he's got coming in to move sideways.

Not even...complete rebuild mode there. I don't see Richard as a west coast guy. He has too much invested here and I don't think he wants to rebuild anything. I could see Crean doing something like this.

Not even...complete rebuild mode there. I don't see Richard as a west coast guy. He has too much invested here and I don't think he wants to rebuild anything. I could see Crean doing something like this.
Even Crean would look for a more attractive option in my opinion. Think he could still land at a pretty reputable school.

The Seattle area typically has a lot of good talent, a big reason why Lorenzo Romar lasted so long. The problem is that over the last 10 years or so, Gonzaga has turned into a legitimate blue blood in terms of recruiting and national spotlight, so they have become the defacto power team in the state of Washington. Makes the Washington job much tougher and less appealing.

Top Bottom