All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

FOR AN EXTRA MILLION A YEAR.

That's the only bit that would make Alabama a job that you would take in a second- and Pitino may well have meant it that way.

Yeah, I agree. I get the feeling that Elder Pinto is implying when he was young, he would have chased the money.

FOR AN EXTRA MILLION A YEAR.

That's the only bit that would make Alabama a job that you would take in a second- and Pitino may well have meant it that way.

True. That's why Sr. needed to chose his words better or not at all. I'd guess Richard had a nice little talk with Rick.

More importantly, when is Jordan Murphy suppose to visit? Any word? - NM, found the answer.

Coach Ivey at TexasD1Ambassadors said that Jordan Murphy (@jordanmurphy24) has not set a Gopher visit yet but staff is coming after him hard

True. That's why Sr. needed to chose his words better or not at all. I'd guess Richard had a nice little talk with Rick.

More importantly, when is Jordan Murphy suppose to visit? Any word?
Hopefully as early as next week but nothing planned yet.

Word on the street is Pitino is staying at Minnesota, and he was never a serious candidate for any job. Who'd have thought that? :rolleyes:

Have a positive vibe good news is on the way soon, and hopefully all this will blow over (at least until the next time Rick opens his mouth).

Word on the street is Pitino is staying at Minnesota, and he was never a serious candidate for any job. Who'd have thought that? :rolleyes:

Yep. All this talk is pure insanity. No decent program is looking at Lil' Ricky at this time.

Have a positive vibe good news is on the way soon, and hopefully all this will blow over (at least until the next time Rick opens his mouth).

Perhaps with "Murphy's Law" having been fully satisfied this year, we can now...sign Murphy?

Perhaps with "Murphy's Law" having been fully satisfied this year, we can now...sign Murphy?

The Gopherhole account with some encouraging comments about Murphy. He'd make this class so so so good.

Wow that's a surprise. The medial took some of Rick's comments out of context. Makes me love and trust the media even more.

I think Richard is genuine in his comments about liking it here and wanting to build the program. It was very nice to hear that and he did admit that Alabama called him. He said that getting a call like that really made him think about how much he really like it here.

This part of the a country that is hard to get people to move to, but it is even harder to get people to move away once they are here for a few years. We have that all the time at work, people are worried about having to move here, but most really like it and you couldn't get then to move back south.

OK, we are back on the bandwagon. Richard said he called his dad after hearing the interview and he told him it was not going to be a received very well in Minnesota. Just like we all felt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pitino was on the Sports Huddle with Sid on Sunday - his comments were very close - if not identical - to what he said on 1500. It could be genuine - or it could be some damage control.

FWIW, in the rest of the interview with Sid, Pitino talked about how next year's group will be the first that will be learning his system from day 1. Said "they had to work with" the players they inherited, but some of them were not a good fit for his system. Also talked a little bit about Konate and Gaston and their potential, calling them "more athletic" than the big men he inherited. Also talked about need to get bigger on the wings and at SF - said Gilbert would help with that.

I'm not participating in Dwight Schrute's strange NC State posts, but since this is a credible outlet, I'll post in this thread where this belongs. Let me state that I don't think there is any chance that Pition leaves this year, let alone for USF.

Per SI:

Open

USF: The NCAA issues that Orlando Antigua left behind at USF are not expected to impact the quality of candidate the Bulls should be able to lure. This job has been very quiet, which has led some in the industry to speculate that athletic director Mark Harlan has already found his coach. There’s a chance of a lateral name popping up here as well. Minnesota’s Richard Pitino is one possibility, along with Seton Hall’s Kevin Willard and former Alabama coach Anthony Grant. Monmouth’s King Rice, Florida Gulf Coast’s Joe Dooley, Chattanooga’s McCall and Forbes could all fit. Miami assistant Chris Caputo makes sense if the school attempts the high-major assistant route again.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/23/nc-state-indiana-coaching-carousel

Go Gophers!!

I'm not participating in Dwight Schrute's strange NC State posts, but since this is a credible outlet, I'll post in this thread where this belongs. Let me state that I don't think there is any chance that Pition leaves this year, let alone for USF.

Per SI:

Open

USF: The NCAA issues that Orlando Antigua left behind at USF are not expected to impact the quality of candidate the Bulls should be able to lure. This job has been very quiet, which has led some in the industry to speculate that athletic director Mark Harlan has already found his coach. There’s a chance of a lateral name popping up here as well. Minnesota’s Richard Pitino is one possibility, along with Seton Hall’s Kevin Willard and former Alabama coach Anthony Grant. Monmouth’s King Rice, Florida Gulf Coast’s Joe Dooley, Chattanooga’s McCall and Forbes could all fit. Miami assistant Chris Caputo makes sense if the school attempts the high-major assistant route again.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/23/nc-state-indiana-coaching-carousel

Go Gophers!!

It's pretty insulting and laughable that the author considers Minnesota to USF a lateral move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see it... It's a turd of a program. Good recruiting base and weather? Terrible everything else?
----

Let’s face it: head coach of USF men’s basketball is a really, really tough job. Through 46 seasons:

Conference championships: zero
Conference tournament championships: one (1990)
NCAA Tournament appearances: three
NCAA Tournament wins: two. Both in 2012, one outside of First Four in Dayton.

1: Aim high and spend a bunch of cash.

Richard Pitino is a name we’ve heard as a possibility for the USF job long before today, but that was before his program was 13-2 and likely heading for the NCAA Tournament this year. He’d cost a bunch of cash (his $1 million buyout alone from Minnesota makes this unlikely), but if USF could get a big basketball booster to write the check it’s possible. Believe it or not, you can argue there’s more of a booster base for a basketball coaching move at USF than a football move, because football moves cost more.

http://www.thedailystampede.com/201...s-to-recruit-a-coach-not-the-other-way-around

It's pretty insulting and laughable that the author considers Minnesota to USF a lateral move.

Wow, and I usually like Pete Thamel. Pitino is going to leave a team that could contend for the B1G championship next year for USF? That is one of the dumbest things I've read in awhile.

If Pitino were to leave for the USF job the U has a lot more problems within in it's athletic department than just a basketball coach leaving.

Dick Pit is not going anywhere. He is building something. He would be a fool and there is no indication whatsoever that he wants to move. He's got something to prove. Coyle will keep him here.

q.e.d.

The weather thing continues to steam my cachongas. The weather in south Florida sucks for most of the year, while the weather here rocks for most of the year. Don't perpetuate the propaganda!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridiculous. NC State isn't even a lateral move. USF is a massive step down.

Dick Pit is not going anywhere. He is building something. He would be a fool and there is no indication whatsoever that he wants to move. He's got something to prove. Coyle will keep him here.

q.e.d.

Super respectful nickname 'ya coined there. You must be a huge fan of Coach.

I understand that everybody has their own opinions, but all of this is laughable to me. Richard Pitino has not accomplished anything at Minnesota. Yes, he won the NIT championship but that was a long time and many losses ago. Maybe I am naive but I really believe that coach Pitino wants to build something here at Minnesota. When I think about Richard Pitino leaving Minnesota I always remember a quote from when he was hired from his father. Richard asked Rick about taking the job and feeling inadequate. Richard asked him if he should take the job or not, and Rick told him "why wouldn't you it's a big ten program."

I always remember that quote and I hope that Richard Pitino does as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Right, because it's a step up. Your perception of relative program rankings is really bizarre.

Do you want to guess the last time they won the ACC? I'll give you a hint: We've won the B1G more recently.

Last time they've reached the Elite Eight? We've been to two.

They're a fairly comparable program.

Right, because it's a step up. Your perception of relative program rankings is really bizarre.

Remember when you thought Pitino would never make it to the NCAA tournament and would be fired before year 6? Funny to look back on.

You can only hope Richard is serious about building something big here. Not sure how Tennessee would be more appealing

Oh, I don't know. He seems like a bit of a prima donna -- I'd guess he'd rather be number two in Knoxville than number six or seven in Minneapolis.

I understand that everybody has their own opinions, but all of this is laughable to me. Richard Pitino has not accomplished anything at Minnesota.

Yes, he won the NIT championship
Your words.

Maybe I am naive but I really believe that coach Pitino wants to build something here at Minnesota. When I think about Richard Pitino leaving Minnesota I always remember a quote from when he was hired from his father. Richard asked Rick about taking the job and feeling inadequate. Richard asked him if he should take the job or not, and Rick told him "why wouldn't you it's a big ten program."
You are projecting both.

No it isn't. Minnesota is an average Power 5 job with a few unique advantages.

Your perception of the bottom-feeder ACC jobs is vastly inflated. Coaches aren't going to beat the door down to go to a 15 team conference where they have to compete with not just Duke, UNC and UVa, but now Louisville, Syracuse etc. We're a couple plays against Wiscy and MSU from competing for the B1G title right now. VT and NC State are not better unless you hate winter or they pay significantly more.

Top Bottom