All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Man, were we lucky to get Pitino. I can't imagine hiring someone like Tyndall now that we've had Richard for a year. We gotta do everything we can to hold on to him.

Just the same as Tennessee was lucky to get Martin. Whatever we have to do to make sure we're not sitting here in a few years settling for an inferior replacement, we'd better do it.

This back and forth has gone on long enough. All parties have voiced their opinion. If you would like to continue this discussion on who is right in their approach, we encourage you to open a new thread in the OT board. We will do our best to delete any comments in this thread that do not pertain to the original topic. Thank you.

This back and forth has gone on long enough. All parties have voiced their opinion. If you would like to continue this discussion on who is right in their approach, we encourage you to open a new thread in the OT board. We will do our best to delete any comments in this thread that do not pertain to the original topic. Thank you.

Thank you.

I think it is a little presumptuous for us to say that there are only five/six jobs in the country for which he would leave. We have terrible facilities. We have very little tradition. We have terrible weather. It isn't the easiest place to recruit to. We have no idea what the wife thinks of Minnesota -- she's not just along for the ride. We know what Pitino says publicly, but we really have no idea what he actually feels about the situation.

Not trying to be doom and gloom. I'm not predicting that he will leave, but I think it's a little crazy to say he's locked up for the next ten years. Time will tell.

I think you're far too negative. We have the potential to become a very competitive program. We have strong academics, one of the more attractive metropolitan areas in the country, and the only D1 school in the state. The quality of Minnesota high school basketball has improved significantly over the years, and we have some momentum thanks to wining the NIT. Our weather might be an issue for a certain percentage of recruits, but there are many successful basketball programs located in parts of the country with weather that is not much different than ours. That includes, for example, Syracuse, Michigan State, Michigan and Wisconsin. Moreover, Minnesota's weather tends to be very nice in the summer and fall. Something that is not true in the south. I live in Virginia and one of my friends once said, every summer, I remember that there is a worse season here than winter. I've spent time in Florida during the summer and I personally don't think Minnesota winters are any worse than Florida summers. Okay, you don't play basketball in the summer, but you don't play basketball outdoors. Our Achilles heal, in my opinion, is the lack of a modern practice facility, but I'm optimistic that we will fix this. Someone, and perhaps it was you, was pessimistic that we would do so citing the difficulties Minnesota has had in building other sports facilities. But the fact that in a relatively short period of time Minnesota has built a new Twins baseball stadium, a new UM football stadium, a new UM baseball facility, and is building a new Vikings stadium, suggests quite the contrary. The kind of opposition Minnesota experienced in those projects is not unique. Its fairly common across the country, but in Minnesota that opposition has been overcome. More significantly, in my opinion, is what I believe is the commitment of Eric Kaler and Norwood Teague to upgrade our Basketball and Football programs. That kind of administrative support is something we haven't had for at least 50 years when the University decided to de-emphasize these sports.

Richard Pitino may decide at some point to move on, but I think he can build a successful program here and that his stated goal to stay here is not unrealistic.

I respect your right to express your opinions, but I'm personally disappointed every time I see a post that essentially suggests Minnesota is unlikely to ever be competitive in basketball or football. I strongly believe that if we can increase our investment in these sports, we can become a perennial competitor for the Big Ten title in both of these sports. We were national football champions when I was a student at the U, and that was our seventh title. I'm confident that we can do it again. It may take some time, but some positive fan support would help.

Our Achilles heal, in my opinion, is the lack of a modern practice facility, but I'm optimistic that we will fix this. Someone, and perhaps it was you, was pessimistic that we would do so citing the difficulties Minnesota has had in building other sports facilities. But the fact that in a relatively short period of time Minnesota has built a new Twins baseball stadium, a new UM football stadium, a new UM baseball facility, and is building a new Vikings stadium, suggests quite the contrary.

Our Achilles heal, when it comes to basketball, has been that for the last 40 years every time the program "arrives" as one of the nation's elite, some scandal or other has promptly followed to knock it back to square one. (I'd add, Tubby was on the verge of having us back once again, the year he brought in Royce White and Mbakwe, but again, we all know what happened there, and his regime went downhill from that point).

You make a very good point regarding facilities. No other locale can claim to have a better combination of facilities than Target Field, XCel, the soon-to-be completed Vikings stadium, TCF (which still is the newest major CFB stadium IIRC), as well as Mariucci and Riddick. It's just that in this market, you kind of have to wait your "turn," and it's now the U's turn again to get the practice facilities done. Once this is done, the Twin Cities still will have the best combo of sports facilities but it'll be somebody else's turn to look for new digs, probably the Wolves.

Once this is done, the Twin Cities still will have the best combo of sports facilities but it'll be somebody else's turn to look for new digs, probably the Wolves.

Renovation of Target Center is starting this summer, new lease runs through 2032.

SI: Successor Series: Who takes over for Rick Pitino at Louisville?

If Pitino has a say, look for the search to be a family affair. His son, Richard, is likely set up to take over for the Cardinals – if he has enough success at Minnesota, where he is about to start his second season as head coach, and potentially elsewhere. If the job is not a hand-me-down for whatever reason? A Pitino acolyte who shares the coach's beliefs and approach, if not his surname, would almost certainly become the top target.

Richard Pitino, Minnesota head coach. The son ascends to the throne. Richard Pitino has been a head coach for just two seasons and turns 32 this year, but he has two stints as an assistant at Louisville on his resume, and he is at a perfect stepping-stone job in Minnesota. He won 25 games and the NIT championship in his first season with the Golden Gophers. Presuming that the younger Pitino keeps the program on an upward trajectory, the eventual outcome seems far too obvious to ignore: Rick Pitino keeps coaching for a few more years and then times his departure for the moment when his son's accomplishments would make him a slam-dunk replacement. If the elder Pitino left immediately? It might get a little fuzzy, given his son's limited track record as a head coach, but Louisville might take the leap anyway.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/06/20/rick-pitino-potential-replacement-louisville

Go Gophers!!

So how old was John Wooden when he hung up whistle?

Do we not believe those (including Pitino Sr. himself) who have argued that stepping in for Dad is not always a good idea. You'll always be compared to Dad. The bar is set pretty high.

I'm not saying that Pitino retires at MN. He just seems like a "chart his own course, build his own program" kind of guy.

Maybe wishful thinking.

Do we not believe those (including Pitino Sr. himself) who have argued that stepping in for Dad is not always a good idea. You'll always be compared to Dad. The bar is set pretty high.

I'm not saying that Pitino retires at MN. He just seems like a "chart his own course, build his own program" kind of guy.

Maybe wishful thinking.

Not wishful thinking at all. If Coach Rich Pitino listens to his dad, Coach Rick Pitino, he will remember these words...The best damned oportunity, go, and build your life at the University of Minnesota.

We love Coach Pitino. Does he love us as much as we love him?

Let's not forget that he purchased million dollar home on a 30 year mortgage. Maybe that means he intends to stay.

I would still ask SI: When has Minnesota ever been a stepping stone job in men's basketball?

Louisville is currently a top 15 job, there's no disputing that. But will it always be? #2 in its own state. Now a geographic outsider in a tough ACC. Dad's shadow. There will be reasons to pause before taking that leap. If he doesn't want to stay here, suceeding Billy Donovan at Florida is much more attractive, IMO.

If Richard were to leave for Louisville down the road, it likely means the Gophers program is going to be in a great position to lure a very good coach. Obviously it would be tough to lose him if he's having great success here, but at least we'll be in a good position.

Louisville is currently a top 15 job, there's no disputing that. But will it always be? #2 in its own state. Now a geographic outsider in a tough ACC. Dad's shadow. There will be reasons to pause before taking that leap. If he doesn't want to stay here, suceeding Billy Donovan at Florida is much more attractive, IMO.

That assumes Billy leaves. Let's let Pitino have some success here before we worry about him leaving. If you're a Louisville or Florida who do you go after first, a Shaka Smart(I'm not saying Smart would take it but I'm too lazy to look up some more coaches) type coach or a Richard Pitino? To me you go after an NCAA tournament proven coach first. But maybe that's why I'm not a chair of an athletic department.

Pitino is in as high of a job as he will get until he gets into the top 4 of the big ten and/or into the sweet sixteen.

That assumes Billy leaves. Let's let Pitino have some success here before we worry about him leaving. If you're a Louisville or Florida who do you go after first, a Shaka Smart(I'm not saying Smart would take it but I'm too lazy to look up some more coaches) type coach or a Richard Pitino? To me you go after an NCAA tournament proven coach first. But maybe that's why I'm not a chair of an athletic department.

Pitino is in as high of a job as he will get until he gets into the top 4 of the big ten and/or into the sweet sixteen.

I agree. I wouldn't mind him suceeding Billy...in about 20 years when Billy retires. I mean, really after the first 2 or 3 national titles, there won't be much to accomplish here anyway. :cool:

I would still ask SI: When has Minnesota ever been a stepping stone job in men's basketball?

Bill Musselman as a head coach and Flip as an assistant coach...would be two instances.

All this talk of Coach Pitino leaving Minnesota for greener pastures is making me more nervous than a whore in church. Please cease and desist all such speculation!

Maybe wishful thinking.

Just ask Joey Meyer

All this talk of Coach Pitino leaving Minnesota for greener pastures is making me more nervous than a whore in church. Please cease and desist all such speculation!

Not concerned if RP leaves. He'll leave the program in good shape and NT will hire the next Hot new coach

Bill Musselman as a head coach and Flip as an assistant coach...would be two instances.
Can the San Diego Sails really be called a step up? They didn't even last a month into their season before folding.

Minnesota isn't a stepping stone job because the basketball team has been mediocre-to-poor for most of its existence. I'm assuming that's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Top Bottom