All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

@Mulligan....Conquistadors?

I'm incorrect, not the San Diego Conquistadors, team was the San Diego Sails at that time. Just looked it up.

@Mulligan....Conquistadors?

I'm incorrect, not the San Diego Conquistadors, team was the San Diego Sails at that time. Just looked it up.

Thanks. As much as I dislike Holtz for what he did, I can't be upset at Muss even though he took a great player with him, caused another good one to transfer, and got us on probation. Can't fault the guy for staying ahead of the posse coming after him.

Sort of resigned to the fact that in a few years Pitino will leave; simply because I think he will be so successful that he'll get an offer he can't refuse.

Thanks. As much as I dislike Holtz for what he did, I can't be upset at Muss even though he took a great player with him, caused another good one to transfer, and got us on probation. Can't fault the guy for staying ahead of the posse coming after him.

Sort of resigned to the fact that in a few years Pitino will leave; simply because I think he will be so successful that he'll get an offer he can't refuse.

Get out of here with that. I'm 26 and no gophers coach(of men's basketball or football) has been hired away in my lifetime.

You would need it to be one of 4 positions for it to be only a few years from now. 1. UCLA after they fire their current coach, 2. Duke Coach K retires 3. syracuse when boeheim retires 4. Louisville when his dad retires.

I agree that there would be little difference between winning here and winning at Tennessee when it comes to using that as a stepping stone for one of the top jobs. Plus, aren't there normally buyouts imposed on a coach (or the new school) when a coach leaves early? If there is one here, Pitino's would surely be pretty hefty given that he just started. I heard a radio interview with the AD at Auburn discussing (quite frankly) his hiring of Bruce Pearl. The AD told him is would cost him 5 million if he left during the first three years and it would go down to 4 million in the 4th year.

The only advantage I would see to Tennessee over Minnesota for an up-and-coming coach is that the state of Tennessee may be a more attractive destination for recruits given its climate and its more centralized location to numerous metro areas.

You've obviously never been to Knoxville.

Tubby played footsie with a crappy SEC job every year too, he still never left.

But if he's truly willing to bail on us after one year for a medicore job like that, he's not who we thought he was anyway.

I don't think he's going anywhere.

This. If he's going to bail for a top-tier program at some point, so be it, and at that time we can lament the loss. If he bails for something like Tennessee...then he's not who we want here anyway.

Get out of here with that. I'm 26 and no gophers coach(of men's basketball or football) has been hired away in my lifetime.

You would need it to be one of 4 positions for it to be only a few years from now. 1. UCLA after they fire their current coach, 2. Duke Coach K retires 3. syracuse when boeheim retires 4. Louisville when his dad retires.

Or Kentucky when Cal leaves... his dad always said leaving Kentucky was the worst move he ever made. :)

Or Kentucky when Cal leaves... his dad always said leaving Kentucky was the worst move he ever made. :)

Yes or Kansas if Bill Self leaves. I just don't see those as being possibilities within 5 years so i didn't include them.

If we get the new practice facility built before a blue blood job (Louisville/Duke/Kentucky/UNC/Syracuse/KU/UCLA) opens up, then I think he will stay for the long haul. I'd also add, it would have to be a blue blood job outside the Big Ten. I don't see him leaving for MSU or Ohio State.

I think it is a little presumptuous for us to say that there are only five/six jobs in the country for which he would leave. We have terrible facilities. We have very little tradition. We have terrible weather. It isn't the easiest place to recruit to. We have no idea what the wife thinks of Minnesota -- she's not just along for the ride. We know what Pitino says publicly, but we really have no idea what he actually feels about the situation.

Not trying to be doom and gloom. I'm not predicting that he will leave, but I think it's a little crazy to say he's locked up for the next ten years. Time will tell.

I think it is a little presumptuous for us to say that there are only five/six jobs in the country for which he would leave. We have terrible facilities. We have very little tradition. We have terrible weather. It isn't the easiest place to recruit to. We have no idea what the wife thinks of Minnesota -- she's not just along for the ride. We know what Pitino says publicly, but we really have no idea what he actually feels about the situation.

Not trying to be doom and gloom. I'm not predicting that he will leave, but I think it's a little crazy to say he's locked up for the next ten years. Time will tell.

You know, this region might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't know where the notion comes from that it's a god-forsaken shat hole. It's not, otherwise why would anyone in their right mind live here at all? Might as well just nuke the place if it were that bad.

Sure we've had a couple harsh winters, but it's not usually that severe. Most people around here embrace the change of seasons. How many people do I know that moved away and came back? The answer is more than a few.

Facilities and tradition are things that can be changed.

Pitino is off to a nice start but it isn't a foregone conclusion that he is going to get offered a job that is considered a huge step up from Minnesota let alone a high profile job such as one of the blue bloods.

That is going to take being better than .500 in the
B1G year in and year out along with multiple runs in the NCAA Tourney.

First of all, I said assuming we get the facilities taken care of.

Second, I think Richard could care less about someone else's tradition. He seems to be on a mission to carve out his own legacy.

Third, our weather isn't a whole lot worse than the NE's and that along with Minnesota will be our recruiting base.

Fourth, who knows what his wife thinks about Minnesota, but Minnesota is definitely a good place to raise kid. Additionally parents typically don't like to move when their kids are growing up.

Fifth, I'm going to give Richard and Rick the benefit of the doubt in regards to their public statements until I am given reason not to.

First of all, I said assuming we get the facilities taken care of.

Second, I think Richard could care less about someone else's tradition. He seems to be on a mission to carve out his own legacy.

Third, our weather isn't a whole lot worse than the NE's and that along with Minnesota will be our recruiting base.

Fourth, who knows what his wife thinks about Minnesota, but Minnesota is definitely a good place to raise kid. Additionally parents typically don't like to move when their kids are growing up.

Fifth, I'm going to give Richard and Rick the benefit of the doubt in regards to their public statements until I am given reason not to.

On the facilities issue, I'm going to assume we don't until we have a shovel in the ground. No place in the country has a bigger problem getting facilities built than the Twin Cities, it seems. The donors aren't exactly lining up, or so it appears. It's an issue that needs to get resolved. No doubt about it.

On the tradition angle, it doesn't matter what Pitino thinks. It matters what potential recruits think. It has been a middle to bottom tier Big Ten program for a long time now. Doesn't have to be, but it has been. Nothing wrong with saying that. It's the truth.

On the weather issue....doesn't matter what the reality is, the perception is the weather is awful from those that live in other parts of the country. It's a barrier. It's the worse thing about living here, IMO. Not everybody shares that opinion. Some people would rather not deal with a foot of snow in the middle of April.

I agree it's a great place to raise kids. But their kids aren't exactly school age yet (unless I'm mistaken). Not really an issue until they get a little older.

On the Richard and Rick comments....they have always said the right things publicly. I have no reason to question what he is saying. But I'd be naive to think that everything said publicly by coaches in college and professional sports are always genuine.

Pitino is off to a nice start but it isn't a foregone conclusion that he is going to get offered a job that is considered a huge step up from Minnesota. ... That is going to take being better than .500 in the B1G year in and year out along with multiple runs in the NCAA Tourney.

Gotta' disagree there. If Pitino gets the Gophers to the Sweet 16 in the next 1-3 seasons, he'll get all kinds of quality job offers with huge pay increases. All it takes is one NCAA tourney run early in your tenure at a school (see Andy Enfield) and you become a hot commodity, multiply that by 10 if your last name is Pitino.

Gotta' disagree there. If Pitino gets the Gophers to the Sweet 16 in the next 1-3 seasons, he'll get all kinds of quality job offers with huge pay increases. All it takes is one NCAA tourney run early in your tenure at a school (see Andy Enfield) and you become a hot commodity, multiply that by 10 if your last name is Pitino.

He has already done what it takes to be a hot commodity. He exceeded expectations, at a B1G institution, with a reputation of recruiting. Anybody equal to, or better than us, will offer.

He has already done what it takes to be a hot commodity. He exceeded expectations, at a B1G institution, with a reputation of recruiting. Anybody equal to, or better than us, will offer.

Good point, though I'd argue he'll be more likely to jump ship to a better job after he's been here more than one season, especially if he sees no legitimate progress on the practice facility issue.

Good point, though I'd argue he'll be more likely to jump ship to a better job after he's been here more than one season, especially if he sees no legitimate progress on the practice facility issue.

I really think the practice facility is minor right now. Teague knows what he is doing. He would not promise something to a 31 year old coach that he wouldnt be able to deliver. I believe that Pitinos long term viability depends on what he thinks he can recruit here, with, or without the new facility. FWIW, I am hearing nothing, but he is staying

I believe that Pitinos long term viability depends on what he thinks he can recruit here, with, or without the new facility.

Fair enough, but there's almost certainly a meaningful difference between "with" and "without"! And he's not really going to know what that difference is, until we have one.

A commodity, sure. A hot commodity......let's not jump the gun. Pitino exceeded expectations. We still landed in the bottom half of the big ten, with an under .500 conference record, and we missed the NCAA tournament. Obviously the NIT run was great......and I'm pleased with the season.......but I don't see the blue bloods showing up to offer him a job quite yet.

I'd rather live naively thinking that he wont move on and enjoy the time anyone is a coach in MN than think as many people are and always looking over their shoulders afraid. Didn't we(as a fanbase) think many of these same things about Tubby? now look what happened, and Tubby had the national resume to get the offers!!! like I said to another poster... get out of here with that pessimistic nonsense!!! He's not leaving and if he does then our program will be better for it and Teague can hire the next up and comer!

Fair enough, but there's almost certainly a meaningful difference between "with" and "without"! And he's not really going to know what that difference is, until we have one.

A commodity, sure. A hot commodity......let's not jump the gun. Pitino exceeded expectations. We still landed in the bottom half of the big ten, with an under .500 conference record, and we missed the NCAA tournament. Obviously the NIT run was great......and I'm pleased with the season.......but I don't see the blue bloods showing up to offer him a job quite yet.
Tubby was a " blue blood". Pitino exceeded Tubby's B1G single season win total, his over all season win total, and won a championship...in 1 year. People will come a knockin'

Tubby was a " blue blood". Pitino exceeded Tubby's B1G single season win total, his over all season win total, and won a championship...in 1 year. People will come a knockin'

Sometimes when people come knocking they get turned down... look how many opportunities Billy Donovan turned down!!! He's the coach Pitino will try to mimic. And don't give me any of that Florida is better than MN... not when Donovan started it wasn't.

9-11 against B1G teams this season.

Tournament wins don't count in the Big Ten standings. And if we're going to magically make our own rules (like the Tubby Haters on this forum often do) and count conference tournament wins as Big Ten wins (they're not), Tubby won 12 games against Big Ten teams in 2009-10. So he's still quite wrong.

Top Bottom