All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

If Richard is in Fayetteville, he's probably already taken the job. Have these rumors been posted on the pay sites or something? Normally coaches agree to everything somewhere else, often someplace neutral (Teague met with candidates in Orlando I believe, many AD's have met with candidates in Dallas) and don't actually go to campus until its done/basically done.

If Richard is in Fayetteville, he's probably already taken the job. Have these rumors been posted on the pay sites or something? Normally coaches agree to everything somewhere else, often someplace neutral (Teague met with candidates in Orlando I believe, many AD's have met with candidates in Dallas) and don't actually go to campus until its done/basically done.

Wouldn't bother me. He's on the hot seat here. He barely has held on to his job and doesn't seem to be able to turn the corner. Granted the last 6 guys didn't either...

Please please please [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120] Arkansas, make the mistake, hire Pitino. Please please please [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Coffey is indeed leaving, Pitino going to Arkansas is just as well. Next year will be ugly. May as well make the transition now.

These rumors could be baseless, false accounts. It's good to keep that in mind.

Please please please [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120] Arkansas, make the mistake, hire Pitino. Please please please [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120].

I love how last week it was mentioned that Pitino would get a contract extension. And now part of the fan base is hoping he takes the Ark job (I’m part of that group).

AMP: Fran McCaffery, Richard Pitino or Steve Alford?

The University of Arkansas basketball coaching search has reached a fever pitch, as reports on Wednesday suggest Arkansas AD Hunter Yurachek is now also considering Iowa’s Fran McCaffery, Minnesota’s Richard Pitino and former UCLA coach Steve Alford.

A number of media outlets, including the Nevada Sports Network, pointed out the flight path, as detailed by FlightTracker, of a private plane that left from Springdale on Monday afternoon for Iowa City, home of the University of Iowa and Hawkeyes basketball coach Fran McCaffery.

The plane then left from Iowa City to Minneapolis, home of the University of Minnesota and Golden Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino, son of former Louisville coach Rick Pitino.

The plane then traveled from Minneapolis to Reno, Nevada, home of the University of Nevada and head basketball coach Eric Musselman. On Tuesday, several national media outlets connected the University of Arkansas to Musselman, who’s spent the last four years leading Nevada’s men’s basketball team after years spent coaching in the NBA.

On Tuesday, the private plane flew from Nevada to Van Nuys, Calif., leading some to speculate a meeting with Steve Alford, who was recently fired from his role as head coach of UCLA’s basketball team.

Minnesota’s Richard Pitino just finished his seventh season as a head coach, his sixth with the University of Minnesota. After winning the NIT in his first season leading the Gophers, in 2013-14, Pitino has made two NCAA Tournament appearances, including this season when his team made it to the second round.

In 2017, the University of Minnesota extended Pitino’s contract through the 2021-22 season, with an annual salary of approximately $1.7 million.

https://amppob.com/fran-mccaffery-richard-pitino/

Go Gophers!!

well I guess things will sure be interesting here the next few days with all these rumors.....I guess we are going from who do you want to hire if Pitino is fired....to who do you want to hire if Pitino leaves for another job?

Those that wish Pitino gone, better look to see who is left!!! Musselman would be the only one and looks like he may be gone as well.

Those that wish Pitino gone, better look to see who is left!!! Musselman would be the only one and looks like he may be gone as well.

Reminds me of getting my Prom date. Before you say no, you might want to take a look around as to what's left.

I'm not on any pay sites, so I don't know about that. I have seen tweets from a few different people who -- only based on their own description of themselves and other recent tweets -- don't seem to have much credibility. Nobody I would trust has reported on it. I keep coming here to see if there's an insider who knows something.

I'm hoping it's true. Everybody wins.

Everyone in this thread wishing Pitino leaves for Arkansas is a joke. You guys read more like Russian trolls propping up Trump on Twitter than real fans who want the best for the program. There is just no logic in any of this. You all claim you want this program to be top 4 or 5 in the B1G10, yet you want some middling SEC school to hire away our coach? Do you know how bad that makes this program look? Being outbid by Arkansas? Why would a coach want to come here after watching Pitino achieve some relative success knowing that he was run out of town for undeservedly being on the hot seat? Better question, which coach at this juncture is even out there that you would want to replace Pitino? Even better question, which coach out there would actually perform better than Pitino?

If we lose Pitino, we are going through a complete rebuild. Full stop. Then we will go through 2 or 3 years of a new coach trying to establish he can do it here, which there is zero guarantee.

This board is toxic and filled with bad-faith posters. I'm not leaving but man this place sucks

Everyone in this thread wishing Pitino leaves for Arkansas is a joke. You guys read more like Russian trolls propping up Trump on Twitter than real fans who want the best for the program. There is just no logic in any of this. You all claim you want this program to be top 4 or 5 in the B1G10, yet you want some middling SEC school to hire away our coach? Do you know how bad that makes this program look? Being outbid by Arkansas? Why would a coach want to come here after watching Pitino achieve some relative success knowing that he was run out of town for undeservedly being on the hot seat? Better question, which coach at this juncture is even out there that you would want to replace Pitino? Even better question, which coach out there would actually perform better than Pitino?

If we lose Pitino, we are going through a complete rebuild. Full stop. Then we will go through 2 or 3 years of a new coach trying to establish he can do it here, which there is zero guarantee.

This board is toxic and filled with bad-faith posters. I'm not leaving but man this place sucks

the bold part....
1st no coach is going to come on to gopherhole and check what fans are saying about Pitino and have that play a role in whether they take the job or not...sorry we aren't that important (and for the record im not one of them that is hoping Pitino leaves for the Arkansas job)
2nd Musselman
3rd Musselman

the bold part....
1st no coach is going to come on to gopherhole and check what fans are saying about Pitino and have that play a role in whether they take the job or not...sorry we aren't that important (and for the record im not one of them that is hoping Pitino leaves for the Arkansas job)
2nd Musselman
3rd Musselman
I never said that a coach would check Gopherhole (although I do think recruits check this site). If a coach is on the hot seat, then that would necessarily mean that fans are not satisfied with performance and some want the coach gone..

Pitino doesn't leave for Arkansas unless he legitimately feels as if he is on the hot seat. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that some fans of this program have really bizarre, borderline crazy expectations that will never be satisfied

I'm not on the list of people that hopes he leaves, but "bad faith" seems strong. Would you also say that people who wanted mason, tubby, claeys, Brewster, or Lucia fired did so in bad faith?

I'm not on the list of people that hopes he leaves, but "bad faith" seems strong. Would you also say that people who wanted mason, tubby, claeys, Brewster, or Lucia fired did so in bad faith?

Not everyone who wants Pitino gone is posting in bad-faith. You can legitimately want Pitino gone. But some people on here are just being trolls and in no way are acting in good-faith

Not everyone who wants Pitino gone is posting in bad-faith. You can legitimately want Pitino gone. But some people on here are just being trolls and in no way are acting in good-faith

Which ones do you consider the trolls?

For what it's worth, you noted in an earlier post that it would look bad to be "outbid" by Arkansas. I think we could keep Pitino, but my guess is that Coyle will choose not to if it comes to that. Just my guess.

I never said that a coach would check Gopherhole (although I do think recruits check this site). If a coach is on the hot seat, then that would necessarily mean that fans are not satisfied with performance and some want the coach gone..

Pitino doesn't leave for Arkansas unless he legitimately feels as if he is on the hot seat. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that some fans of this program have really bizarre, borderline crazy expectations that will never be satisfied

a division 1 basketball coach understands that there will always be fans that will never be happy.....and its not like there are lines of fans campaigning for Pitino to be fired....so its not like the fans are toxic here....so again, I find it hard to believe that a head coach looking to take this job is going to say "man I want nothing to do with this fan base"

I would be very surprised if Pitino leaves, so must of this discussion is a big waste of time.

Which ones do you consider the trolls?

For what it's worth, you noted in an earlier post that it would look bad to be "outbid" by Arkansas. I think we could keep Pitino, but my guess is that Coyle will choose not to if it comes to that. Just my guess.

I would think that Pitino would stay in Minnesota even if Arkansas offered him more. I agree that if there is a huge difference between what we and Arkansas are offering then Pitino might go to Fayetteville, but I would think Pitino's first choice is to stay here.

a division 1 basketball coach understands that there will always be fans that will never be happy.....and its not like there are lines of fans campaigning for Pitino to be fired....so its not like the fans are toxic here....so again, I find it hard to believe that a head coach looking to take this job is going to say "man I want nothing to do with this fan base"

I would be very surprised if Pitino leaves, so must of this discussion is a big waste of time.

If you read this board, half of the most vocal posters adamantly want Pitino gone and are absolutely giddy over this Arkansas news...

I agree that the average fan probably has no opinion one way or another. I also don't think this Arkansas thing will happen, but I've followed sports long enough to know that anything can happen

this is your best post by far!! +10000

I would think that Pitino would stay in Minnesota even if Arkansas offered him more. I agree that if there is a huge difference between what we and Arkansas are offering then Pitino might go to Fayetteville, but I would think Pitino's first choice is to stay here.

It's way more likely that he would accept an offer from them (if we're making the assumption that they offer) than it is that they would actually make an offer. Check out Twitter and Arkansas message boards -- they want nothing to do with him.

I really don't even think Arkansas is interested. No one credible has reported that they are (unless you count Goodman's tweet, which was clearly trolling), and it doesn't even make sense that they would want him.

Why would a coach want to come here after watching Pitino achieve some relative success knowing that he was run out of town for undeservedly being on the hot seat?

Re: the bold - jokes are funny.

How would Pitino leaving for the Arkansas job mean that he was "run out of town"? Oh, and it doesn't appear that he's on the hot seat anymore, but his performance to date most definitely warrants it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that some fans of this program have really bizarre, borderline crazy expectations that will never be satisfied

Dear Lord. What on God's green earth are you talking about? My God - if anything, Gophers fans have expectations that are way too low. Expecting Pitino to do better than a bottom-quartile-of-the-Big-Ten cumulative winning percentage over his 6 years as the head coach is neither bizarre nor borderline crazy.

Nothing like a clumsy low intellect attempt to interject some personal political beliefs into a basketball post. That's why I love my Lakers posts. The theater of this place is worth the free membership.

I personally have no preference whether Pitino stays or goes. I feel like he's done a decent job but he's certainly replaceable. My biggest concern with Pitino has been his inability to lock down the best in-state talent although last year's class looks extremely promising. I won't lose any sleep as a Gopher fan regardless of what happens.

Nothing like a clumsy low intellect attempt to interject some personal political beliefs into a basketball post. That's why I love my Lakers posts. The theater of this place is worth the free membership.

If I wanted to share my personal political beliefs I'd do it in the off-topic board. The last thing I want to do on this site is debate politics.

Top Bottom