All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Do you want to guess the last time they won the ACC?

1989. They've won it 13 times, all after WWII. We've won the Big Ten 8 times, twice after WWII and zero times in 35 years.

I'll give you a hint: We've won the B1G more recently.

Incorrect. We last won the Big Ten in 1982.

Last time they've reached the Elite Eight?

1986. They've been there 6 times. We've been once.

We've been to two.

Incorrect. See above.

They're a fairly comparable program.

Not really. They're not Duke or UNC, but still a cut above Minnesota by every conceivable measure. Among many other areas where they are more accomplished, they are one of only 15 programs with multiple NCAA Tournament championships. We have zero.

Remember when you thought Pitino would never make it to the NCAA tournament and would be fired before year 6? Funny to look back on.

I was wrong about Pitino. What does that have anything to do with the relative standing of Minnesota and NCSU?

No it isn't. Minnesota is an average Power 5 job with a few unique advantages.

Your perception of the bottom-feeder ACC jobs is vastly inflated. Coaches aren't going to beat the door down to go to a 15 team conference where they have to compete with not just Duke, UNC and UVa, but now Louisville, Syracuse etc. We're a couple plays against Wiscy and MSU from competing for the B1G title right now. VT and NC State are not better unless you hate winter or they pay significantly more.

Minnesota's not close to an average Power 5 job. That's just a bizarre take. Program accomplishments, coach salary, facilities, proximity to talent - not close to average in any. I get that you're being a homer, but be realistic.

I'm not talking about which is the better team right now. That's a completely separate argument. NCSU is a better program by almost any measure you can think of.

Business Insider Top 25 most dominant programs (http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dominant-mens-college-basketball-programs-2016-3):

NCSU #23, Minnesota not ranked

FanSided 75 Best College Programs (http://fansided.com/2014/10/21/75-g...l-programs-time-statistically-ranked/amp/9/):

NCSU #31, Minnesota not ranked

Hoopedia All-Time Top 100 Programs (http://www.collegehoopedia.com/schools/top-100-programs):

NCSU #14, Minnesota #31

Dyclif Dygest Top 25 Programs of All-Time (http://dyclif.sportsblog.com/posts/1062064/top_25_college_basketball_programs_of_all_time.html):

NCSU #18, Minnesota not ranked

These are objectively ranked on data (except for Hoopedia), and all rank NCSU better to much better. If you have your own data that shows otherwise, I'd love to see it.

All this being said, Pitino is not leaving Minnesota for NCSU or any other program, at least not anytime soon. But NCSU is a superior program to Minnesota by almost any measure you can dream up. To argue otherwise is to ignore basic facts.

I was wrong about Pitino. What does that have anything to do with the relative standing of Minnesota and NCSU?

Minnesota and NC State are essentially equals. Those numbers you posted do not prove NC State is a better job. This is just another perfect example of your bizarre need to correct people even when it's subjective like this. You are the contrarian of Gopherhole. You're not happy unless you can prove someone else wrong but in this case just like several others you are trying way to hard. It is a VERY reasonable argument to say that leaving Minnesota right now for NC State is NOT a step up. Yet here you are trying your best to prove you're right.

Business Insider Top 25 most dominant programs (http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dominant-mens-college-basketball-programs-2016-3):

NCSU #23, Minnesota not ranked

FanSided 75 Best College Programs (http://fansided.com/2014/10/21/75-g...l-programs-time-statistically-ranked/amp/9/):

NCSU #31, Minnesota not ranked

Hoopedia All-Time Top 100 Programs (http://www.collegehoopedia.com/schools/top-100-programs):

NCSU #14, Minnesota #31

Dyclif Dygest Top 25 Programs of All-Time (http://dyclif.sportsblog.com/posts/1062064/top_25_college_basketball_programs_of_all_time.html):

NCSU #18, Minnesota not ranked

These are objectively ranked on data (except for Hoopedia), and all rank NCSU better to much better. If you have your own data that shows otherwise, I'd love to see it.

All this being said, Pitino is not leaving Minnesota for NCSU or any other program, at least not anytime soon. But NCSU is a superior program to Minnesota by almost any measure you can dream up. To argue otherwise is to ignore basic facts.

You need help. Seek it. I'm serious your need to be smarter than everyone else is not normal. You're not proving anything to anyone 99% of Gopher fans don't read message boards just like every fanbase. Maybe you go to bed at night happier because you proved someone to be inaccurate with a post of theirs I'm not sure but you must be miserable to talk to in real life.

Minnesota's not close to an average Power 5 job. That's just a bizarre take. Program accomplishments, coach salary, facilities, proximity to talent - not close to average in any. I get that you're being a homer, but be realistic.

I'm not talking about which is the better team right now. That's a completely separate argument. NCSU is a better program by almost any measure you can think of.

Just out of curiosity, if you were a coach looking for a job and you had your pick of where you wanted to go, would you base your decision on how teams have performed throughout history, or would you base it on a combination of where they are now and where you think they are headed?

Just out of curiosity, if you were a coach looking for a job and you had your pick of where you wanted to go, would you base your decision on how teams have performed throughout history, or would you base it on a combination of where they are now and where you think they are headed?

All of the above.

Perfectly stated. RIGHT NOW it's more than reasonable to say the Minnesota job is as good as NC State. He's throwing out numbers post WWII for crying out loud. Anything to prove he knows more than someone else.

I'd first ask my wife where we were moving to and then I'd go there. Or else.

Anyone else hear the conversation about Lute Olson leaving Iowa for Arizona on the broadcast the other night? They made a big point of saying good coaches can make any place a destination.

All of the above.

Nice cop out. Let me rephrase. Which would you put more value in if you had to choose only one of the following two options:
1. What that particular team has accomplished in the past
2. How good the team is now and how good you think they will be going forward

1989. They've won it 13 times, all after WWII. We've won the Big Ten 8 times, twice after WWII and zero times in 35 years.

Incorrect. See above.

Not really. They're not Duke or UNC, but still a cut above Minnesota by every conceivable measure. Among many other areas where they are more accomplished, they are one of only 15 programs with multiple NCAA Tournament championships. We have zero.

Maybe this video will jog your memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDerafsb1l4. Just because you pretend it didn't happen doesn't mean it didn't happen. There's photographic evidence!

NC State is no more desirable a job than Minnesota. And recent history suggests that the programs are comparable. Just like nobody cares about our national championships in football, nobody cares about NC State's championships in basketball. Is UTEP a better program too?

Incorrect. See above.

You can hide behind the sanctions, but I distinctly remember seeing the Gophers win v the B1G in 1997.

By your standards we can confidently say that North Carolina has not won a national championship or ACC title since sometime before 1985. [emoji41]

You need help. Seek it. I'm serious your need to be smarter than everyone else is not normal. You're not proving anything to anyone 99% of Gopher fans don't read message boards just like every fanbase. Maybe you go to bed at night happier because you proved someone to be inaccurate with a post of theirs I'm not sure but you must be miserable to talk to in real life.
Give him a break. He displays clear signs of Aspergers. I bet dpodoll is a good guy, he just has some concrete views he can't get past.

Nice cop out. Let me rephrase. Which would you put more value in if you had to choose only one of the following two options:
1. What that particular team has accomplished in the past
2. How good the team is now and how good you think they will be going forward

It's not a cop-out. It's not an either-or situation. Anyone with common sense would weigh all of those factors and more. Did Steve Alford go to UCLA because they had a fantastic roster primed for an upswing? No, it was because they had an amazing history, a huge and dedicated fanbase generating tons of revenue, and thus a very desirable job paying a fantastic salary. Ditto all of the above for Tom Herman at Texas. Nick Saban left the NFL for an Alabama roster and "trajectory" that were ordinary at the time. You can all deny reality as much as you want, but the facts are that history and everything in place as a result of it are very important factors in the desirability of a job.

Give him a break. He displays clear signs of Aspergers. I bet dpodoll is a good guy, he just has some concrete views he can't get past.

If displaying a firm grasp of facts and truth is Asperger's, tinyarch, then call me Asperger Jones. I bet you're very proud of yourself for mocking people with a serious disorder.

Super respectful nickname 'ya coined there. You must be a huge fan of Coach.
Are all the nicknames you give yer besties respectful, BB? I love me some Dick Pit. He ain't goin' nowheres. Book it!

It's not a cop-out. It's not an either-or situation. Anyone with common sense would weigh all of those factors and more. Did Steve Alford go to UCLA because they had a fantastic roster primed for an upswing? No, it was because they had an amazing history, a huge and dedicated fanbase generating tons of revenue, and thus a very desirable job paying a fantastic salary. Ditto all of the above for Tom Herman at Texas. Nick Saban left the NFL for an Alabama roster and "trajectory" that were ordinary at the time. You can all deny reality as much as you want, but the facts are that history and everything in place as a result of it are very important factors in the desirability of a job.

It certainly is an either or situation when you're asked which one you put more value on. You're simply refusing to answer the question.

If displaying a firm grasp of facts and truth is Asperger's, tinyarch, then call me Asperger Jones. I bet you're very proud of yourself for mocking people with a serious disorder.
There was no mocking of Aspergers. I have friends with Aspergers who are nice guys, but struggle with social ques while being very particular about certain things. Your response to very specific things has me think you have Aspergers. There's nothing we can do about our biology so I'm not demeaning you. I'm actually trying to help others give you a break for being who you are. Does that help? I am not speaking of Aspergers in a negative light, nor am I speaking of you in a negative light.

There was no mocking of Aspergers. I have friends with Aspergers who are nice guys, but struggle with social ques while being very particular about certain things. Your response to very specific things has me think you have Aspergers. There's nothing we can do about our biology so I'm not demeaning you. I'm actually trying to help others give you a break for being who you are. Does that help? I am not speaking of Aspergers in a negative light, nor am I speaking of you in a negative light.
Shut-up, Tiny.

I have no problem seeing that NCST has a far better history as a program. including recent history. They have better facilities , better region to cast a wider net . They will pay more and play in a better conference. Why does it matter. Pitino is not being offered that job. Everyone knows who they want and they will get a top 3 choice. He is not even on a long list and Minnesota can call that bluff. Coyle is connected in the ACC and he knows that rumor has zero truth.

I don't have Asperger's, but thanks for the insincerity.

It certainly is an either or situation when you're asked which one you put more value on. You're simply refusing to answer the question.

I wouldn't put more value on either. That is answering the question.

Don't be an ass, tiny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no problem seeing that NCST has a far better history as a program. including recent history. They have better facilities , better region to cast a wider net . They will pay more and play in a better conference. Why does it matter. Pitino is not being offered that job. Everyone knows who they want and they will get a top 3 choice. He is not even on a long list and Minnesota can call that bluff. Coyle is connected in the ACC and he knows that rumor has zero truth.

After next year? probably not.

I bet the BIG wins the challenge next year. And i still think that BIG teams get more money than ACC schools so we could pay more if we need to.

No they wont. They have an inflated view of themselves and will reach too high for the first couple options.

I don't have Asperger's, but thanks for the insincerity.
It's not my responsibility to make you believe my opinion. I still defend the right for you to knit pick data and ignore the 1997 season.

After next year? probably not.

I bet the BIG wins the challenge next year. And i still think that BIG teams get more money than ACC schools so we could pay more if we need to.

No they wont. They have an inflated view of themselves and will reach too high for the first couple options.

What makes you think the B1G wins next year's challenge?
I'm not sure how the contract between the ACC and ESPN works, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC brings in more revenue.

That being said, I don't see a reason why Richard would be drawn to another school when he repeatedly has said this group of kids is the most selfless group he's ever been around. He's in a great spot right now in Minnesota.

Top Bottom