All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

There are a couple hundred that i have no insight into . But when i have insight into a situation that affects one of the programs i support i will offer what i know. Facilities means all of the GEORGETOWN facilities. They play in a dump. Have you even been there ? The comment on Tony Bennett is pure ignorance. Dream job at UW ? EVERYONE KNOWS he turned it down and Greg Gard even thanked him for the endorsement. Take shots at his offense if you want but they have been very efficient. That is 4 years in a row that UVA has won a NCAA game, 1st time ever at UVA, NEVER done at Minnesota. Any AD has him on the very short list of who they most want. All you take is shots, i did not bring up Bennett. Richard has not contacted GTOWN nor vice versa. He has a job , a better job that he came here to complete with success.

So the 20 year old Verizon Center which also hosts the Wizards and the Capitals is a dump? What would you consider the Barn then?

To recap, Georgetown has a less than 1 year old practice facility and plays in a 20,000 seat 20 year old arena. But according to you their facilities are terrible. Despite being completely wrong on both of those, you still say you have inside information on their coaching search. You're a fraud.

You obviously place a huge weight on historical success. I don't. Clearly Georgetown has far more success in its history than MN.

But they don't have much lately (both have 1 Final Four the last 20 years), and they play in an inferior conference now and have fallen behind Maryland and UVa locally. All that said, it's probably still better than MN, but not by enough to make it some sure thing he'd leave for it.

No, they don't. Minnesota has yet to achieve a legitimate Final 4 appearance. In addition to theirs being 10 years ago, they also have 2 additional Sweet Sixteen appearances since. Minnesota has one Tournament win, mocked and belittled by its own fans. They also paid their recently fired coach more than double what we pay ours and have a nicer arena with roughly a third more capacity. None of that has anything to do with history older than the last decade. I doubt Pitino would leave for it (particularly since he built the entire roster), but it is unquestionably a better job.

So the 20 year old Verizon Center which also hosts the Wizards and the Capitals is a dump? What would you consider the Barn then?

To recap, Georgetown has a less than 1 year old practice facility and plays in a 20,000 seat 20 year old arena. But according to you their facilities are terrible. Despite being completely wrong on both of those, you still say you have inside information on their coaching search. You're a fraud.

I was in Verizon for BTT. A dump may be overstated, but it is a really crappy arena and there is a reason the owner of Wizards and Capitols is demanding a facelift. The historic Barn is not in a different category. Verizon is a newer arena with no character and lacks the brightness and amenities of the newer arenas. It's just not a very nice place.

I was in Verizon for BTT. A dump may be overstated, but it is a really crappy arena and there is a reason the owner of Wizards and Capitols is demanding a facelift. The historic Barn is not in a different category. Verizon is a newer arena with no character and lacks the brightness and amenities of the newer arenas. It's just not a very nice place.

Pitino won't end up at Georgetown because they don't want him. Facilities are one of the last reason's someone would turn down Georgetown.

In the Gophers horrific 2016 season they averaged 10,706 fans, that same year Georgetown averaged 8,879 fans. I still think Georgetown has some appeal, but the new Big East hurts as does the Big East being on FS1. I think it has the potential to be a very good job, but the brand has been damaged and fans/administrators need to realize that it has to be built back up.

It's also half full, even in their best seasons. I was a Georgetown season ticket holder for a year, not in the Verizon Center, but the Capital Centre. Not that attendance is bad, but it's hard to get a lot of energy going in a building that's half full.

Can we please stop he isn't going anywhere. Zero chance yup zero

Yep, no chance he's leaving now with the team he has coming back next season.

But next year at this time, if the Gophers have the true breakthrough season that results in, say, a Sweet 16 berth, that's when Pitino's ticket will never be hotter. If Gophers are a top-shelf B1G team (top 4 again) and then have success in the NCAA, pretty safe bet he'll be at the top of any list of the major-conference programs with a job opening. If he wants to move on (have no idea whether that's the case), next year could be his best chance to cash in.

Yes, it's is.

Next question.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Empty does not mean it's a dump. Lack of atmosphere/character is a totally different argument.

Pitino would not turn down Georgetown because the facilities are better at Minnesota. As of today, Minnesota's are worse.

Empty does not mean it's a dump. Lack of atmosphere/character is a totally different argument..

I was making two points, no atmosphere for college basketball and a much like the Metrodome was at 20 years old, it's in the decline.

SI article on the botched Georgetown coaching search:

Whoever gets the job, it will be clear how far it has fallen to them. That could be Rhode Island’s Danny Hurley, Minnesota’s Richard Pitino, Duke assistant Jeff Capel, USC’s Andy Enfield or South Carolina’s Frank Martin. (Former Indiana coach Tom Crean has been told he’s not a candidate.)

And, of course, it could be former Georgetown star Patrick Ewing, currently the associate head coach for the Charlotte Hornets. Ewing’s candidacy is the most intriguing, as it would show that instead of Georgetown splitting from Big John, the Hoyas are doubling down on him. Ewing is certainly a strong coach, as he’s received significant NBA interest in head jobs. But his insertion into Georgetown’s political climate would lead to near unanimous forecasts of doom, as there’s not a strong track record of former NBA stars with no college coaching experience coming back to college and crushing it. Just ask St. John’s how Chris Mullin is faring. How’d that Clyde Drexler experiment work out at Houston? Ewing has exponentially more coaching experience than those two, but none of it has come in college.

http://amp.timeinc.net/si/college-b...own-coaching-search-hoyas-thompson?source=dam

Go Gophers!!

there’s not a strong track record of former NBA stars with no college coaching experience coming back to college and crushing it. Just ask St. John’s how Chris Mullin is faring. How’d that Clyde Drexler experiment work out at Houston? Ewing has exponentially more coaching experience than those two, but none of it has come in college.

This is exactly why the comparison is so unbelievably stupid, so why even make it - because they all are NBA Hall of Famers? So what? Drexler and Mullin had absolutely zero coaching experience at any level when they were hired. Hell, Drexler was 35 years old and still playing in the NBA when he became Houston's head coach. Ewing is 54 years old and has 15 years of NBA assistant coaching experience. If he did get the Georgetown job, he could flame out spectacularly, but it would have nothing to do with the fact that he's an NBA Hall of Famer, nor would it be due to lack of experience.

Not to mention Mullins inherited an absolute **** show. He has recruited well at St. John's, have another strong class coming in. I think Ewing would be a good hire he has been an NBA assistant for a long time. Hoiberg was pretty damn good at ISU with less experience.

This is exactly why the comparison is so unbelievably stupid, so why even make it - because they all are NBA Hall of Famers? So what? Drexler and Mullin had absolutely zero coaching experience at any level when they were hired. Hell, Drexler was 35 years old and still playing in the NBA when he became Houston's head coach. Ewing is 54 years old and has 15 years of NBA assistant coaching experience. If he did get the Georgetown job, he could flame out spectacularly, but it would have nothing to do with the fact that he's an NBA Hall of Famer, nor would it be due to lack of experience.

I couldn't imagine Ewing taking the job...he is inline for a HC job in the NBA...way better pay, no recruiting and way more resources.

I couldn't imagine Ewing taking the job...he is inline for a HC job in the NBA...way better pay, no recruiting and way more resources.

True on the others, but doubtful on this. Thompson was making $3.6 million when fired, and that salary will place you higher than about 8-10 coaches in the NBA. If Georgetown wants him (who knows?), they could pay him in the same ballpark as most NBA teams willing to hire him.

True on the others, but doubtful on this. Thompson was making $3.6 million when fired, and that salary will place you higher than about 8-10 coaches in the NBA. If Georgetown wants him (who knows?), they could pay him in the same ballpark as most NBA teams willing to hire him.

Maybe, but I will stick with my statement, I think the NBA will offer him a bigger payday.

Ewing named to coach the Hoyas.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think there's any doubt who's calling the shots with regard to Georgetown basketball head coaching hires:

Craig Esherick (Big John's top assistant)

John Thompson III (Big John's son)

Patrick Ewing (Big John's greatest player)

Curious why you are so confident he would "flame out"? I have no idea how he might do, but usually you have something quantitative to support assertions. Is there something out there about him, other than lack of college coaching experience, I'm not aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious why you are so confident he would "flame out"? I have no idea how he might do, but usually you have something quantitative to support assertions. Is there something out there about him, other than lack of college coaching experience, I'm not aware of?

"Could"

Empty does not mean it's a dump. Lack of atmosphere/character is a totally different argument.

Pitino would not turn down Georgetown because the facilities are better at Minnesota. As of today, Minnesota's are worse.

You think Pitino might be able to think to the facilities the U will have in 2018? I think he's bright enough to think to 2018 when on campus arena and practice facility will be better than Georgetown. Not worth even debating though - he's not going to Georgetown.

He is nowhere close to an NBA head coaching gig. Was year 15 better than years 13 and 14 in terms of getting targeted as a potential head coach? Phil Jackson would have targeted him last year or 3 years ago if he was such a hot commodity

Top Bottom