All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Don’t be so naive. Do a google search about Gopher sports items and GH posts show up. You post on a public board that is linked into internet search engines. It is a one spot to check if someone wants to get a feel for how the fans of a specific school feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could be right. I will say this: there aren't many forums devoted to Gopher fans, so, yes, I'd say this one is better known and has considerably more traffic than some of the others I've seen. I think that speaks to the relative level of indifference towards Gopher sports in the state. In contrast, there are more Iowa sites despite that being a smaller university in a much smaller state. Relative indifference can be both bad and good. The good part is that you don't live in a fishbowl as a Gopher coach or athlete to the same degree that you would in Iowa or Nebraska (for football anyway).

You could be right. I will say this: there aren't many forums devoted to Gopher fans, so, yes, I'd say this one is better known and has considerably more traffic than some of the others I've seen. I think that speaks to the relative level of indifference towards Gopher sports in the state. In contrast, there are more Iowa sites despite that being a smaller university in a much smaller state. Relative indifference can be both bad and good. The good part is that you don't live in a fishbowl as a Gopher coach or athlete to the same degree that you would in Iowa or Nebraska (for football anyway).

Yeah, a Gopher football player can go out on the week-end and not generally be recognized. Even a basketball player might get away with it in some cases.

Ok, so let’s say you get a couple of job offers from various companies across the country. Are you going to just believe what the recruiter or future employer says about the company and what is it like to live in that city? No, you would do some of your own research. Is it a nice place to work, is it a sweatshop, do the promote from within, etc... Also, which neighborhood has the best school district, what do the commutes look like, what are the crime rates, do they have the activities that I enjoy, etc....

So you don’t think that at least some recruits, or their families, do their own research?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well sure they do, but not on fan message boards. It is the same as looking at reviews on the internet about a restaurant. Every restaurant from Oceanaire to Taco Bell has some reviews that say "Loved it, best food I have ever had" and others that say "I **** blood for a week, don't ever go there"

The point is your research for big decisions better be more than what you see on the internet.

Yeah, a Gopher football player can go out on the week-end and not generally be recognized. Even a basketball player might get away with it in some cases.

Sure, especially if the player's height isn't so unusual. Matz would be noticed and people would start asking "Who is that guy?"

Bakary Konate showed up to a service we attended in Alexandria at a small Lutheran church. He was comically tall compared to everyone there.

Sure, especially if the player's height isn't so unusual. Matz would be noticed and people would start asking "Who is that guy?"

For sure. But Brock Stull looks like some dude who shoots hoops at Lifetime.

per Shama:

Internet reports and a Sports Headliners source believe the University of Arkansas has interest in the Gophers’ Richard Pitino for its head basketball coach opening.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Now sounding like it's almost a done deal for Musselman to Arkansas. Better start working on his, "Wooooooo, pig soooooey" chant.

I hope it all works out for Pitino, but if it doesn't, missing on Musselman, Hoiberg and Oats when they were all gettable will be most unfortunate.

Now sounding like it's almost a done deal for Musselman to Arkansas. Better start working on his, "Wooooooo, pig soooooey" chant.

Out of curiosity, where are you reading this? I seen there's a random tweet from someone, but not entirely sure how he would know.

Out of curiosity, where are you reading this? I seen there's a random tweet from someone, but not entirely sure how he would know.

Not sure about SS, but there tends to be some halfways reliable poop from this source:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Didn't his dad do a short stint at Ark Little Rock?

No I think that was one of the hyphenated Alabama schools. State, Southern or something. They gave Arizona a mighty scare in the tournament one year.

From what I’ve read the $8M buyout for Dixon is a hang up. If you’re tcu would you let Dixon negotiate that down? Per some SoCal press this is what’s going on, trying to lower that buyout

per Shooter:

Multiple sources say Arkansas had been seriously interested in the Gophers’ Richard Pitino for its basketball coaching vacancy, along with Nevada’s Eric Musselman and fired UCLA coach Steve Alford. Pitino, though, won’t be getting an offer from the Razorbacks.

People who know say Musselman was next on the Gophers’ radar when Pitino has hired six years ago by then-a.d. Norwood Teague.

Were Pitino, 36, to receive an Arkansas offer that would have paid about the same he’s making at Minnesota (nearly $2.2 million) annually, it would have been interesting if Gophers a.d. Mark Coyle would have chased Musselman, 54.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/06/3329852/

Go Gophers!!

I hope it all works out for Pitino, but if it doesn't, missing on Musselman, Hoiberg and Oats when they were all gettable will be most unfortunate.

Tim Miles should now be available.

He'd be a great assistant for us.

Miles would be a great head coach for us, too. His "failure" at Nebraska (frankly, he had a few of the better Neb. teams I can remember in my lifetime) was probably more due to inability to recruit the big out-of-state names to Nebraska Basketball than anything else, and Neb. does not have a wealth of area talent. If he were better than the past several Gopher coaches at keeping local kids home - and I think he could be - the Gophers would be a consistent Tournament team.

Last edited:

Mike Max did just speculate on the 6:00 news whether Richard would jump to Cincy. He suggested that he's not happy with the terms of his extension.

Mike Max did just speculate on the 6:00 news whether Richard would jump to Cincy. He suggested that he's not happy with the terms of his extension.

then why sign it.

Not sure who I trust more, Mike Max or Doogie.

BG, thanks for sharing.

Post edit: Wait a minute......Is Maxie friends with Hoiberg?

Last edited:

Boo hoo. Don't threaten when you have no leverage.

Do speculation and news really go together? The 24 hour news cycle is killing us in a lot of ways. If he has real data he can share, he should share it. If not, he should keep his mouth shut. This in between "speculation" in public is unhelpful to those being speculated about and those forced to listen to it.

Do speculation and news really go together? The 24 hour news cycle is killing us in a lot of ways. If he has real data he can share, he should share it. If not, he should keep his mouth shut. This in between "speculation" in public is unhelpful to those being speculated about and those forced to listen to it.

My wife heard it better than I did, as I was busy heating some dinner up. I had to ask her a few times how it was actually worded, and I'm still not sure I got it straight.

If there is any truth to this he should do us a favor and jump to Cincy, if he's not 100% committed he's not going to be successful.

Top Bottom