All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Just wondering your thoughts, why do you think Kill had a plan since day 1 and Pitino doesn't?

From the moment he started he identified the type of recruits they were looking for, the state of the program, and said we're going to build defense first. He also said it would take 3-5 years. They've done it all and are producing NFL talent. Pitino says we're going to play fast and recruit???

per Amelia:

1. Does this mean Pitino is definitely not leaving? No, it doesn’t. I do believe he’s genuinely happy in Minnesota, as he says, and the jump-and-rebuild, jump-and-rebuild process is not a fun one for coaches. While next year’s team will be young and raw and could struggle a lot, it will finally be his foundation: players recruited to his system; a culture firmly in place. At the same time, this is not a business of loyalty. If and when the right offer comes, Pitino may well leave and it could be before people think. In his release, he stopped short of saying he is staying or making any meaningful statement beyond the fact that he likes it here. To be clear, I don’t think Pitino plans on leaving. But at this stage, I’m also not sure he plans on not leaving.

2. Despite frustration from the local fanbase, Pitino’s value from a national perspective hasn’t gone down. Pitino was hired at Minnesota two years ago on the basis that he a) had a stellar resume as an assistant b) seemed to have a lot of upside and room to grow and c) the name doesn’t hurt. One thing he wasn’t hired for? His immaculate record as a head coach. He’d only coached one year in that role, after all, and although it was a solid one at Florida International, it hardly provided the sample size to determine anything. The reason places like Minnesota (or Alabama, for that matter) make hires like this is that they hope to get in on the ground floor. Once a young, trendy coach gets to be TOO hot a name, he becomes unhireable for the Minnesotas and the Alabamas of the world. He becomes a Shaka Smart or a Brad Stevens. But most coaches go through some early growing pains. Programs who look at Pitino’s body of work, in its context (shortened recruiting periods, in one of the toughest leagues in the country) and determine they see potential there, would be smart to try to lure him away before he wins his way to the next tier. Hires like this have big risk as well, of course, and Minnesota did take on some risk when hiring Pitino. It’s also probably the only way a place like Minnesota or Alabama gets a GREAT coach at this stage of the program (that or rain money). Pitino’s value hasn’t diminished at all because he’s still 32 and a third-year head coach. The upside and the potential is still there – he hasn’t fallen on his face, after all – even if the immediate results aren’t.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/298602871.html

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia: 1. Does this mean Pitino is definitely not leaving? No, it doesn’t. I do believe he’s genuinely happy in Minnesota, as he says, and the jump-and-rebuild, jump-and-rebuild process is not a fun one for coaches. While next year’s team will be young and raw and could struggle a lot, it will finally be his foundation: players recruited to his system; a culture firmly in place. At the same time, this is not a business of loyalty. If and when the right offer comes, Pitino may well leave and it could be before people think. In his release, he stopped short of saying he is staying or making any meaningful statement beyond the fact that he likes it here. To be clear, I don’t think Pitino plans on leaving. But at this stage, I’m also not sure he plans on not leaving. 2. Despite frustration from the local fanbase, Pitino’s value from a national perspective hasn’t gone down. Pitino was hired at Minnesota two years ago on the basis that he a) had a stellar resume as an assistant b) seemed to have a lot of upside and room to grow and c) the name doesn’t hurt. One thing he wasn’t hired for? His immaculate record as a head coach. He’d only coached one year in that role, after all, and although it was a solid one at Florida International, it hardly provided the sample size to determine anything. The reason places like Minnesota (or Alabama, for that matter) make hires like this is that they hope to get in on the ground floor. Once a young, trendy coach gets to be TOO hot a name, he becomes unhireable for the Minnesotas and the Alabamas of the world. He becomes a Shaka Smart or a Brad Stevens. But most coaches go through some early growing pains. Programs who look at Pitino’s body of work, in its context (shortened recruiting periods, in one of the toughest leagues in the country) and determine they see potential there, would be smart to try to lure him away before he wins his way to the next tier. Hires like this have big risk as well, of course, and Minnesota did take on some risk when hiring Pitino. It’s also probably the only way a place like Minnesota or Alabama gets a GREAT coach at this stage of the program (that or rain money). Pitino’s value hasn’t diminished at all because he’s still 32 and a third-year head coach. The upside and the potential is still there – he hasn’t fallen on his face, after all – even if the immediate results aren’t. http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/298602871.html Go Gophers!!

This may be the first time I've ever said this, but holy cow I agree with Amelia ...

per Amelia:

1. Does this mean Pitino is definitely not leaving? No, it doesn’t. I do believe he’s genuinely happy in Minnesota, as he says, and the jump-and-rebuild, jump-and-rebuild process is not a fun one for coaches. While next year’s team will be young and raw and could struggle a lot, it will finally be his foundation: players recruited to his system; a culture firmly in place. At the same time, this is not a business of loyalty. If and when the right offer comes, Pitino may well leave and it could be before people think. In his release, he stopped short of saying he is staying or making any meaningful statement beyond the fact that he likes it here. To be clear, I don’t think Pitino plans on leaving. But at this stage, I’m also not sure he plans on not leaving.

2. Despite frustration from the local fanbase, Pitino’s value from a national perspective hasn’t gone down. Pitino was hired at Minnesota two years ago on the basis that he a) had a stellar resume as an assistant b) seemed to have a lot of upside and room to grow and c) the name doesn’t hurt. One thing he wasn’t hired for? His immaculate record as a head coach. He’d only coached one year in that role, after all, and although it was a solid one at Florida International, it hardly provided the sample size to determine anything. The reason places like Minnesota (or Alabama, for that matter) make hires like this is that they hope to get in on the ground floor. Once a young, trendy coach gets to be TOO hot a name, he becomes unhireable for the Minnesotas and the Alabamas of the world. He becomes a Shaka Smart or a Brad Stevens. But most coaches go through some early growing pains. Programs who look at Pitino’s body of work, in its context (shortened recruiting periods, in one of the toughest leagues in the country) and determine they see potential there, would be smart to try to lure him away before he wins his way to the next tier. Hires like this have big risk as well, of course, and Minnesota did take on some risk when hiring Pitino. It’s also probably the only way a place like Minnesota or Alabama gets a GREAT coach at this stage of the program (that or rain money). Pitino’s value hasn’t diminished at all because he’s still 32 and a third-year head coach. The upside and the potential is still there – he hasn’t fallen on his face, after all – even if the immediate results aren’t.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/298602871.html

Go Gophers!!

I too agree with Amelia. People need to understand the bolded part. Pitino's style is full court relentless pressure. Hasn't had players with the quickness and hasn't had the depth to implement his style of play. Next year we will start to see his program implemented.

He just finished year 2. Less than expected, yes but many factors led to a disappointing year. I can't believe the number of people that are ready to throw coach under the bus at this point. Too much of the 'I want it now' crowd.

Was checking the news on Rubio on the Canis Hoopus site and noticed a link to Alabama not getting Marshall. Some really depressed folks over there, and Pitino's name came up a dozen times. A reaction to not getting Marshall, but absolutely nobody wanted Pitino. Most charitable guy mentioned he might be good some day, but, so far, he hash't done anything. All of the others simply wrote him off. Interesting how there would have been two basically p*ssed off fan bases for different reasons. Got a feeling it won't be the last time we go through this drama. Just hope his name being out there doesn't mess up recruiting down the road. People do need to be patient; hopefully, Richard is also patient.

“@SportsCenter: Alabama will meet with former Mavericks and Nets coach Avery Johnson tonight. He last coached in 2012. (via @GoodmanESPN)”

Can we all please talking about or bringing up coaches leaving until they actually do. Tubby, kill, pitino ..... Hate the media hate the fans let's quit starting rumors. Amelia started this one.

per the Courier Journal:

In four sentences, Rick Pitino's sophisticated son succeeds in accomplishing the three primary goals of a coach under consideration for other jobs:

1) He expresses loyalty to his present employer.

2) He closes no doors that might lead to a more enticing position.

3) He avoids saying anything that might later qualify as self-incrimination.

You can't blame a guy for being coy about his plans when the coaching carousel is still in motion. With Rick Barnes moving from Texas to Tennessee and VCU's Shaka Smart taking over in Austin, the two most attractive openings have already been filled, but new vacancies may yet materialize that could turn the heads of the most committed coaches.

If reports of Billy Donovan's renewed interest in the NBA indicate an imminent opening at Florida, you'd see a long line of applicants even if you had to wrestle an alligator to get that gig. If John Calipari should ever leave Kentucky, the ripple effect might resemble a tidal wave.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...itino-says-something-saying-nothing/25302597/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Schidt. This will close the Pitino to Alabama gossip.

And it was so entertaining. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Pitino's style is full court relentless pressure. Hasn't had players with the quickness and hasn't had the depth to implement his style of play. Next year we will start to see his program implemented.

In basic basketball terms, what will this result in?

We can start it all over when Billy Donovan goes to the NBA, so don't get depressed.

Probably taking you too literally here, but Florida would definitely be able to aim higher than Pitino. If Billy Donovan is going to leave Florida, might as well be now.

Probably taking you too literally here, but Florida would definitely be able to aim higher than Pitino. If Billy Donovan is going to leave Florida, might as well be now.

And somebody like an Archie Miller, even after the salary extension, would be a much more reasonable option.

Pitino to OKC?

“@GoodmanESPN: Sam Presti has hired two guys off Billy Donovan’s staff. Just saying.”

Pitino to OKC?

“@GoodmanESPN: Sam Presti has hired two guys off Billy Donovan’s staff. Just saying.”

I think Rick is happy with his recruits coming in and the move to OKC is a lateral move at best from Louisville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Rick is happy with his recruits coming in and the move to OKC is a lateral move at best from Louisville. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant Richard :) since he also was a Donovan assistant.

Florida is not coming after Pitino based on his "National Championship" and 2014-15 season. He is way to prestigious for them!

Top Bottom