All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Inspired by GW's cryptic message, I went to http://www.ichingonline.net/index.php
to ask the I Ching if Richard Pitino was leaving for another coaching job. I think it means he should stay. Maybe. Any other interpretations? GW?

Cast Hexagram:13 - Thirteen - T'ung Jên / Social Mechanism

Heaven reflects the Flame of clarity:
The Superior Person analyzes the various levels and working parts of the social structure, and uses them to advantage. [Interp. hence his name is mentioned and he uses this to his advantage]

Success if you keep to your course.
You may cross to the far shore. [Yikes! this could mean an east coast team...?]

SITUATION ANALYSIS:

This is a matter of Positioning -- not only yourself, but others as well.
There are niches to be filled, potentials to be realized, right livelihoods to be found.
You are not building a new organization, but shoring up an existing infrastructure.
It's worth the effort, because it will provide union, community, and an ironclad alliance.

Were you named after Dr. Graham?

Can we be honest? No major conference team is hiring Richard Pitino in 2015. While he clearly has an agent who is good at calling Myron et al, he is at least one year of success away from a better job.

Tennessee would go crazy if they hired a 6-12 Big coach. Rightly so.

Fret not fellow Gopher fans.

I disagree. I have zero idea if Richard Pitino is interested in leaving but if he was I believe he'd have opportunities to do so. (1) He can coach. (2) He's great with the media (3) It's harder to recruit here than almost anywhere top 50. (4) He inherited a major mess. (5) He learned some lessons for the next job, to start fresh. (6) He has the Pitino name. (7) He is young and energetic. Those things make him an attractive hire. I hope he stays but not sure he will.

I disagree. I have zero idea if Richard Pitino is interested in leaving but if he was I believe he'd have opportunities to do so. (1) He can coach. (2) He's great with the media (3) It's harder to recruit here than almost anywhere top 50. (4) He inherited a major mess. (5) He learned some lessons for the next job, to start fresh. (6) He has the Pitino name. (7) He is young and energetic. Those things make him an attractive hire. I hope he stays but not sure he will.

The next person after Richard will inherit a bigger mess or still is a carryover from the previous people????

I am simply amazed that there are 43 pages devoted to determining whether or not Pitino will leave MN at this point in time. It is quite hilarious to me, 43 PAGES!!! Dam, kind of sad actually.....

There used to be 20 posts per page, but it recently changed to just 15. So really under the old system there'd only be about 32 pages on this topic, not 43.

Depends

The next person after Richard will inherit a bigger mess or still is a carryover from the previous people????

If he left now and the 4 new recruits ask for their release...that'd be pretty equal wouldn't it? For sure not good.
But if the 4 recruits are in house then we would have improved.
I like how we discuss all these hypotheticals on here. lol
The right additions to the four incoming and we look much improved....at least from an optimism standpoint.
The mess at present is a combo platter.

Great then we can hire Archie Miller away from Dayton, the coach we should have hired two years ago.

No Pitino to Texas rumors will be coming, but you'd think Barnes will be a candidate at almost every other opening...

Knoxville News Sentinel: Mike Strange: Men's basketball coach, stability wanted

Possible candidates range from the 61-year-old Byrd to 32-year-old Will Wade at Chattanooga.

While the Vols can’t get Rick Pitino, his son, Minnesota coach Richard Pitino, could be in the mix.

It wouldn’t be shocking to see Hart return to Michael White at Louisiana Tech. White was the top pick last year but balked at the “security” factor of the offer Tennessee made.

Here’s a wild card: Texas and Rick Barnes parted ways Saturday. The fallout could impact the searches at both Alabama and Tennessee.

Somewhere out there is the next Tennessee basketball coach. If another Sweet 16 trip in the not-too-distant future is part of the bargain, good for him.

And stability? Is that too much to ask?

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/...ns-basketball-coach-stability-wanted_58895809

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Teague said last week that he hadn't heard that men's basketball coach Richard Pitino is being pursued for other jobs, as reported in the Pioneer Press on Saturday. Recent rumors include Tennessee and St. John's. Teague said he's not concerned about rumors.

"I mean, you hear something all the time," he said. "(Pitino) and I are doing things together that make him very encouraged about being here."

The Gophers finished a disappointing 6-12 in the Big Ten this season.

"Nobody's more disappointed than Richard, but it's a long-term deal with him," Teague said. "If you saw how he operates behind the scenes with the program, it's encouraging."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27806831/charley-walters-devan-dubnyk-hasnt-missed-beat-says

Go Gophers!!

The Daily Herald: Tennessee Vols potential coaching candidates

Richard Pitino, Minnesota

Record: 43-28, with an NIT championship last season, in two seasons.

Salary: The original deal with the Golden Gophers pays the 32-year-old Pitino $1.2 million annually.

Coaching capsule: The son of Louisville coach Rick Pitino was linked to Tennessee’s vacancy a year ago, and ESPN already linked him to the Vols this go-round. After assistant coaching stints at Louisville and Florida, Pitino coached for one season at Florida International before Minnesota came calling. The Gophers are just 14-22 in the daunting Big Ten under Pitino.

http://columbiadailyherald.com/sports/college/tennessee-vols-potential-coaching-candidates

Go Gophers!!

per Yahoo:

Sources told Yahoo Sports that Marshall already had signaled Alabama not to waste its energy putting together a whopper offer for his services, because he had his eyes on Texas. So this conceivably could be a short courtship – if anything can get done simply in Austin.

(At Alabama, the search to replace Anthony Grant could be getting dicey. Marshall is off the table and VCU coach Shaka Smart is extremely unlikely to replace his buddy Grant. Archie Miller can afford to stay at Dayton and wait for the right time and place – and Alabama seems like neither. Latest name in the mix in Tuscaloosa is Minnesota coach Richard Pitino, who may be parlaying his father’s connection to former Alabama coach C.M. Newton, who certainly has the ear of decision makers at ‘Bama.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-r...s-next-for-the-longhorns-230810668-ncaab.html

Go Gophers!!

The people who hold the money do not want Pitino, they want a proven winner.

per Yahoo:

Sources told Yahoo Sports that Marshall already had signaled Alabama not to waste its energy putting together a whopper offer for his services, because he had his eyes on Texas. So this conceivably could be a short courtship – if anything can get done simply in Austin.

(At Alabama, the search to replace Anthony Grant could be getting dicey. Marshall is off the table and VCU coach Shaka Smart is extremely unlikely to replace his buddy Grant. Archie Miller can afford to stay at Dayton and wait for the right time and place – and Alabama seems like neither. Latest name in the mix in Tuscaloosa is Minnesota coach Richard Pitino, who may be parlaying his father’s connection to former Alabama coach C.M. Newton, who certainly has the ear of decision makers at ‘Bama.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-r...s-next-for-the-longhorns-230810668-ncaab.html

Go Gophers!!
Isn't Forde a football writer? Unless Alabama is offering a big raise that Norwood isn't willing to match I don't see Pitino leaving.

Transcript of Rick Pitino's season ending press conference:

On Richard Pitino and potential job interest: I don't know officially. He knows not to talk to me about that during the tournament. (The tournament's been over 12 hours.) I know, but I don't think my children will talk to me for about 48 hours. They want no part of me right now, but I don't know how to answer that. I will call him tomorrow.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...oach-rick-pitinos-season-wrap-up-qa/70692290/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino is set to take over at Kentucky after Cal goes to Wolves to coach Towns/wiggins.

You didn't hear it from me! #sources

Last time Alabama went sloppy seconds on a Teague hire it didn't go too well, surprised that they are considering a return to that well.

Last time Alabama went sloppy seconds on a Teague hire it didn't go too well, surprised that they are considering a return to that well.

Was thinking the same thing. Richie doesn't seem like he'd be a good fit there. Probably a little too slick for some of the yokels down there.

Was thinking the same thing. Richie doesn't seem like he'd be a good fit there. Probably a little too slick for some of the yokels down there.

my sources are telling me that Alabama hopes to hire him. Their thought process is that over 50% of the fan base will be unable to distinguish him from Papa Rick. Essentially obtaining a hall of fame coach for half the price! Pure genius

Just rolled through Bama message boards and they are not happy about Richard being a candidate... one even said he would rather them call Grant and give him his job back. One said it is all Pitino camp stirring things up because, he is desperate to get out of Minnesota. Hahaha its pretty funny

Just rolled through Bama message boards and they are not happy about Richard being a candidate... one even said he would rather them call Grant and give him his job back. One said it is all Pitino camp stirring things up because, he is desperate to get out of Minnesota. Hahaha its pretty funny

The further south you go, the dumber they get.

We've had a couple of posters hint at the same thing on this message board too.

We've had a couple of posters hint at the same thing on this message board too.

That to me is just dumb. I think he is genuine when speaking about this being a pleasant place to live for him and his family. Has a good relationship with Teague. He knows we gave him a job nobody else was going to that spring. Now having said that, I'm the first to admit that I think he will leave for a better job if the right opportunity presented itself to him. But I think it's wildly inaccurate to say he is desperate to leave.

Top Bottom