All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Its easy for a coach and/or an ad to tell every report on earth "no"....if he does leave, does he care what the local media here thinks? Highly doubt it.

It would be easy enough for Norwood to simply avoid comment on it if it were true. Why go on KFAN and end up looking like a fool? Or if you must comment, you can play the Eyore Maturi 'I know nothing, I won't know until he's already gone. Woe is me' card.

Very true. Just so much GOOD about having here as coach...I'm playing Gopher fan pessimist card. I need to shake that.

Its easy for a coach and/or an ad to tell every report on earth "no"....if he does leave, does he care what the local media here thinks? Highly doubt it.

It would be easy enough for Norwood to simply avoid comment on it if it were true. Why go on KFAN and end up looking like a fool? Or if you must comment, you can play the Eyore Maturi 'I know nothing, I won't know until he's already gone. Woe is me' card.

Very true. Just so much GOOD about having here as coach...I'm playing Gopher fan pessimist card. I need to shake that.

Weekly interview

Voted "Best Drama post" 2014.

He ain't goin nowheres

Even so, you can choose not to comment on that instead of 'guaranteeing' it won't happen, if you have any reason to believe it will.

You didn't hear it so you have no idea how it went down. It was not a big deal, relax. I'm glad he is not a stiff that says "no comment" or "I cannot discuss this at this moment". He believes Richard wants to build something here, good, let him say it.

Hey guys, I live in Louisville, KY so get to hear all about the Pitino's all the time. Here's my take. Tennessee is at best a lateral move, as much as I would love to have Richard in the SEC I just don't see that happening. Not at Tennessee anyway. Moving again after one year would just not be a good move unless it was a MAJOR step up and Tennessee is not a major step up. The ONLY thing that gives me pause is I have heard the figure of $3 MIL thrown around. If that's the case then who knows..

Honestly, I think Pitino stays with you guys unless they really overpay and he just can't pass it up. There has been a lot of rumors that Pitino wants Richard to take over for him at Louisville, that part is very true. I could see Richard staying there until either a traditional "blue blood" type program opens up or he goes to take over for his dad. He may not want to do that though.. following your dad isn't always something a son wants to do.

I found this hilarious on the Tennessee 247 forum. "Never been a fan of hiring a coach in his first year. If she's willing to cheat WITH you, she's going to be willing to cheat ON you. Women or coaches, same outcome…."

There has been a lot of rumors that Pitino wants Richard to take over for him at Louisville, that part is very true.

Which part is true? That Rick wants him to take over; or that rumors exist?

To be honest with maybe exception of Northwestern I really can't see any coach in the Big Ten that is winning enough to get some looks at a big time program actually bolt for a "better job." Even with a program like Penn State who lacks tradition, if they were winning and by that i mean had 2 or more sweet 16 appearances then they would be considered at least a semi destination job with all of their facilities and what not. Same goes for Minnesota excluding the facilities part. We still need facilities but If Richard is winning then this would be considered a semi destination job. We aren't VCU or Butler, at least i hope that isn't the perception.

This is standard fare, and how coaches get big pay raises to stay put. Nothing more, nothing less.

We might want to consider setting up a system for trolling other teams' boards like VCU does. That looks like a lot of fun...

Bad news, looks like he's already been practicing with the players at Tennessee...

geMJi2P

Attachments

• pitino.jpg
    pitino.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 100

Get used to it. His name will be floated for just about every coaching vacancy. I believe he stays a very long time with great success. I'm more worried that someone will steal Norwood. I think our current President is our rock that keeps this ship steady.

We might want to consider setting up a system for trolling other teams' boards like VCU does. That looks like a lot of fun...

Go make a RichmondInsider account on their board!

I didn't peruse the entire thread but has anyone tried to tie Mo's "this is crazy" tweet with a potential move by Coach P?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can't tell you who will be Tennessee's next hoops coach. But it surely won't be Shaka Smart and probably won't be Richard Pitino, either.</p>— Pat Forde (@YahooForde) <a href="https://twitter.com/YahooForde/statuses/456820263582056449">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per an interview w/ Teague on KFAN;

Addressing rumors that the University of Tennessee has interest in first year Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino, Teague squashed the fears by saying that the Tennessee has not contacted Minnesota with interest in Pitino.

"[Richard] will be here," Teague told Barreiro. "I am extremely confident and assured that we're in great shape with him being here and staying here. We've both got a lot of work to do together."

-Now we can move on from this thread....

Read more: http://www.kfan.com/onair/gopher-bl...ors-of-richard-pitino-12263001/#ixzz2zA68JGF1

I don't think Pitino is going anywhere. I'm curious though if there is some sort of agreement within whatever coaching stable these guys are associated with that contractually keeps them with a team for a certain amount of time. Anyone?

Oh, Sid...

• If Tennessee does offer Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino a job, it would be hard for him to turn it down because it’s one of the best jobs in the country. While at Texas Tech, Bob Knight had a chance to get the Tennessee job and he later talked about what a big mistake he made by not taking it.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/255591551.html?page=2

Top Bottom