All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

per Duke Basketball Report:

It's too early to start speculating about who might be on the hot seat, but it's not too early to start thinking about who might be good candidates for the next ACC openings. Here's our early Hot List:

Richard Pitino, Minnesota. He's moving up rather fast, isn't he? Minnesota is not really a destination job though. He won't be there for long.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...e-louisville-syracuse-montrezl-harrell-pitino

Go Gophers!!

per Duke Basketball Report:

It's too early to start speculating about who might be on the hot seat, but it's not too early to start thinking about who might be good candidates for the next ACC openings. Here's our early Hot List:

Richard Pitino, Minnesota. He's moving up rather fast, isn't he? Minnesota is not really a destination job though. He won't be there for long.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...e-louisville-syracuse-montrezl-harrell-pitino

Go Gophers!!

Schools the head coaches on this list are currently employed by: Dayton, Buffalo, Rhode Island, Towson, VCU, Louisiana Tech, Valparaiso, Memphis...and Minnesota? One of these things is not like the others, one of these things is different...

And Josh Pastner? Why is Josh Pastner on this list? The writer needs to lay off the crack.

Somehow I feel that the jobs that would attract Rich Pitino are not the ones where he can duplicate his father's success. I believe he would be most attracted where his father and many other college coaches have failed. THe NBA.

Somehow I feel that the jobs that would attract Rich Pitino are not the ones where he can duplicate his father's success. I believe he would be most attracted where his father and many other college coaches have failed. THe NBA.

He has no interest in coaching in the NBA.

Dr. Don with Sid coming back to be his GM would be a dream team. He ran the Lakers once, you know.

As a part owner, yes he did. And he will never quit reminding us of George Mikan, the one player responsible for widening the lane.

As a part owner, yes he did. And he will never quit reminding us of George Mikan, the one player responsible for widening the lane.

Your starting PG...Christian Ponder...

Amelia fanning the flames. I get answering the question, but this seems over the top:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Amelia's probably the lamest beat writer we've ever had, so I take everything she says with a grain of salt.

No way in hell is Pitino leaving after this season. Such a stupid topic. Honestly can't believe that people talk/worry about it so much.

I would bet Amelia's gone before Pitino. I kind of get the feeling she doesn't really like it here. She'll probably jump at the chance to write somewhere else.

I would bet Amelia's gone before Pitino. I kind of get the feeling she doesn't really like it here. She'll probably jump at the chance to write somewhere else.

Do high school papers hire non-students?

Kidding, kidding.

Yeah, I sense the same. I think she'll be gone back to NC or the vicinity sooner than later.

per Amelia's Q&A:

@Radman_50: @AmeliaRayno Will Richard Pitino be coaching somewhere else at this time next year? :)

If the Gophers make the NCAA tournament -- and I think they will -- and especially if they win a game there, I expect he will be. Pitino would have plenty of suitors in that scenario and his stock might never be higher than when he's tagged with the label of up-and-coming head coach with a clear upward trajectory.

I've said plenty of times before -- I believe Pitino likes Minnesota, but business is business and money talks. Why should he say no to other programs with more assets, particularly after Minnesota hasn't stepped up with a show of good will at stage one? Pitino is certainly one of the trendy young coaches in the game and the Gophers may have hurt their chances of keeping him long term by failing to give him a contract extension after he brought home an NIT trophy.

That accomplishment isn't always a game-changer, but when it comes in the first year of a young coach who appears to be changing the program from the ground up, it should realistically be compensated.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/280642812.html

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia's Q&A:

@Radman_50: @AmeliaRayno Will Richard Pitino be coaching somewhere else at this time next year? :)

If the Gophers make the NCAA tournament -- and I think they will -- and especially if they win a game there, I expect he will be. Pitino would have plenty of suitors in that scenario and his stock might never be higher than when he's tagged with the label of up-and-coming head coach with a clear upward trajectory.

I've said plenty of times before -- I believe Pitino likes Minnesota, but business is business and money talks. Why should he say no to other programs with more assets, particularly after Minnesota hasn't stepped up with a show of good will at stage one? Pitino is certainly one of the trendy young coaches in the game and the Gophers may have hurt their chances of keeping him long term by failing to give him a contract extension after he brought home an NIT trophy.

That accomplishment isn't always a game-changer, but when it comes in the first year of a young coach who appears to be changing the program from the ground up, it should realistically be compensated.

Go Gophers!!

Are we surprised that a MSP writer has such a negative nelly stance on things?

I guess Amelia, as well as a lot of others, forgets that the year prior to Pitino coming to Minnesota, the Gophers did go to the NCAA tourney and did win their first round game. Is winning the NIT a step up? I am not sure. Is Pitino's recruiting, the excitement surrounding the program, the optimism, the fun better under Pitino? Absolutely. But, let's see how he does this year. I am hoping and expecting a great year, but it hasn't happened yet. His contract is just fine for what he has done here and prior.

I guess Amelia, as well as a lot of others, forgets that the year prior to Pitino coming to Minnesota, the Gophers did go to the NCAA tourney and did win their first round game. Is winning the NIT a step up? I am not sure. Is Pitino's recruiting, the excitement surrounding the program, the optimism, the fun better under Pitino? Absolutely. But, let's see how he does this year. I am hoping and expecting a great year, but it hasn't happened yet. His contract is just fine for what he has done here and prior.

Pitino is doing what he has hoped to do, recruit here. It is all about winning, and money now! 2015 is an outstanding class! If we win this year, it is pony up, or lose him.

per Amelia's Q&A:

Go Gophers!!

Not that I think Pitino didn't deserve a raise, but I don't get Amelia's continuous theory that Pitino will somehow hold it against Minnesota that he didn't get a raise after winning the NIT. It seems to me that Pitino knows damn well that the NIT isn't even close to the ultimate prize; he's Rick Pitino's son for crying out loud, he knows what success looks like. I don't agree with Amelia's "changing the program from the ground up" comment either. While he has done a great job here so far, he did take over a team that was coming off of an NCAA tourney appearance. I wouldn't consider that rock bottom by any means. I get the impression that Richard and Norwood have a real good relationship, and Richard likely realizes that Norwood took a gamble by hiring Richard in the first place without much of a track record. I just don't see Richard bolting this program at the first opportunity to do so.

Not that I think Pitino didn't deserve a raise, but I don't get Amelia's continuous theory that Pitino will somehow hold it against Minnesota that he didn't get a raise after winning the NIT. It seems to me that Pitino knows damn well that the NIT isn't even close to the ultimate prize; he's Rick Pitino's son for crying out loud, he knows what success looks like. I don't agree with Amelia's "changing the program from the ground up" comment either. While he has done a great job here so far, he did take over a team that was coming off of an NCAA tourney appearance. I wouldn't consider that rock bottom by any means. I get the impression that Richard and Norwood have a real good relationship, and Richard likely realizes that Norwood took a gamble by hiring Richard in the first place without much of a track record. I just don't see Richard bolting this program at the first opportunity to do so.

I agree
+1

Not to mention, the U very well may have approached Pitino with a $200K-$300K raise, and he very well may have turned it down, knowing if he makes the Tourney this year he could be in-line for a much bigger raise/contract extension. He knows he's not going to get an extension offer every year, but he very well may get a nice salary bump if we make the Tourney and win a game or two. The implication that Amelia is making is as much of a leap as my implication, so not sure why she chose the narrative she did.

Go Gophers!!

Lets face it. Amelia is a terrible writer/beat writer/blogger. For the market she's in, she's terrible. Twin Cities and UofM fans deserve better.

Exactly. Norwood knew he didn't have to worry about the Tennessee's and Missouri's this year. When those same level jobs come open next year, he might. Hopefully Norwood will be ready, unlike Mr. Maturi.

Top Bottom