All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

You can only hope Richard is serious about building something big here. Not sure how Tennessee would be more appealing

I view Tennessee as a tier above Minnesota in the program rankings. Not a big upgrade over Minnesota however. Especially next year as they lose four starters. I just don't see Pitino going to his third program in three years unless they offer him an ubsurd ammount of cash, which is unlikely.

Pitino ain't going anywhere right now, no matter what job opened up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Their coach just left for Cal. Tennessee is going to then get Minnesota's coach? Don't see it. This type of move makes zero sense for Pitino unless he feels like he can't get over .500 in conference play in the next couple years here. Pitino will get just as much consideration for one of the few destination jobs by winning at Minnesota as he would at Tennessee.

From the original USA Today article:

Some names the Vols will consider:

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall
Virginia Commonwealth coach Shaka Smart (because there's never a coaching vacancy without his name attached)
Southern Mississippi coach Donnie Tyndall
Former UCLA coach Ben Howland
Xavier coach Chris Mack
Colorado coach Tad Boyle
Dayton coach Archie Miller
Belmont coach Rick Byrd
Louisiana Tech coach Michael White
Minnesota coach Richard Pitino.
Duke assistant Jeff Capel

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...zo-martin-california-bears-tennessee/7740323/

Go Gophers!!

From the original USA Today article:

Some names the Vols will consider:

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall
Virginia Commonwealth coach Shaka Smart (because there's never a coaching vacancy without his name attached)
Southern Mississippi coach Donnie Tyndall
Former UCLA coach Ben Howland
Xavier coach Chris Mack
Colorado coach Tad Boyle
Dayton coach Archie Miller
Belmont coach Rick Byrd
Louisiana Tech coach Michael White
Minnesota coach Richard Pitino.
Duke assistant Jeff Capel

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...zo-martin-california-bears-tennessee/7740323/

Go Gophers!!

Boyle would be a great choice, but I don't think he's leaving Colorado. I'll say they go with Michael White.

Tyndall would be a huge mistake.

I read a tweet where RichmondInsider is claiming Pitino and Shaka Smart to be named co-head coaches at Tennessee. :cool:

Impossible, he signed a 30 year mortgage.

Boyle would be a great choice, but I don't think he's leaving Colorado. I'll say they go with Michael White.

Tyndall would be a huge mistake.

Michael White or Michael Jai White? I'd go with Michael Jai White. No doubt he'd spawn a winning program.

michael-jai-white-spawn.jpg

Hopefully all of the Tennessee players tweeting about how poorly Martin was treated there will sway Pitino from not even considering it.

That or looks like he's getting a Gophers raise already.

And if he takes it, just fold the program. For the health of all of us fans, just close it down.

You don't leave Tennessee to go to Cal if the Vols are a desirable program. Besides, that would be Pitino's third job in three years, which would be unseemly. He's not going anywhere yet.

Hopefully all of the Tennessee players tweeting about how poorly Martin was treated there will sway Pitino from not even considering it.

And if he takes it, just fold the program. For the health of all of us fans, just close it down.[/QU

Seonded. No way he would take it now, but this would be a good example of a place he could go if the administration does not move forward on needed infrastructure in the program, including a practice facility. It's a place with a lot of resources in a power conference that it would be much easier to win than the B1G. It would be the reincarnation of Lute Olson pursuing the tan in Tuscon.

And if he takes it, just fold the program. For the health of all of us fans, just close it down.[/QU

Seonded. No way he would take it now, but this would be a good example of a place he could go if the administration does not move forward on needed infrastructure in the program, including a practice facility. It's a place with a lot of resources in a power conference that it would be much easier to win than the B1G. It would be the reincarnation of Lute Olson pursuing the tan in Tuscon.

I don't know Holy Man, much, much similar to Lute's first move to get to Iowa than his second move. That being said, rumors will fly with Richard. Young, well spoken. Succeeded at FIU and made most people happy here in year one. Probably has a clever agent. If this isn't reoccurring, Gophers will be lousy.

Never say never, but highly unlikely. He is considered one of the top young coaches in the country, so his name will surface everytime a job equal to, or better than Minnesota opens up. Looks like the market value has determined he deserves a pay bump

As I mentioned on the other coaching thread, the fans at volnation brought Pitinos name up. As I posted there, why would he want to go to that circus there...to a fan base that filed a petition to have Martin removed before the end of the season. Its a circle jerk, sh!t storm in Knoxville. Those maroons actually wanted to bring the cheater Pearl back! Unless they throw $2.5 mil a year at him, he ain't going to that clown show...of course, if he goes, we can start Shaka 2.0 again!

I honestly don't see it as an upgrade...other than financial. I would take the B1G over the SEC all day.

For the record, I dont THINK he would leave for the vols. With that being said, it all comes down to recruiting. I BELIEVE that if he feels he can recruit better somewhere else, he would leave.

Wow, reading through the UT thread... They're a bunch of head cases down there. I mean, I do think that UT is probably a tier above us in terms of desirability, but they're reasonably talking about going after Gregg Marshall and even their former coach, Bruce Pearl (just accepted a position with SEC foe, Auburn).

These fans made two separate petitions during the season, one to get their coach fired and then one to give him a pay raise after he got them to the sweet 16.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=collegebasketballnation&id=98518

I'm not too worried about him leaving for Tennessee that would almost be like taking a step back. They play in a weaker conference and just look at the way they treated their last coach and he left for Cal. I'd guess they get some mid major coach like maybe the La.Tech or S.Miss coach.

Tennessee cant be any more desirable than Minnesota. I would put them on the same tier. If your not Florida or Kentucky, the SEC is the worst major conference. Watching SEC games this year was painful...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Top Bottom