Athlon ranks Jerry Kill as #36 coach in FBS, #7 in the Big Ten

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-128-college-football-coaches-2014

Kill was a successful coach prior to taking over at Minnesota and has guided the Golden Gophers to back-to-back bowl games for the first time sine 2008-09. In five years at Saginaw Valley State (1994-98), Kill went 38-14 and followed that stint with a two-year stop at Emporia State (11-11). From 2001-07, Kill recorded a 55-32 mark at Southern Illinois, which included five consecutive appearances in the FCS playoffs. And in three years at Northern Illinois, Kill went 23-16 with three bowl trips. After a 3-9 mark at Minnesota in 2011, Kill is 14-12 and clearly has the program on the right track. Also, last year’s 4-4 Big Ten mark is the first record of .500 or better in Big Ten play by Minnesota since 2005.

Dpdoll, for what it's worth, Jerry Kill is OUR coach, and is therefore #1 in my book. And as many people who believe Athlon, the same number of people believe in the Easter Bunny.

No way Andersen is ahead of Kill. What has he done at Wisconsin that has elevated there program even remotely close to how much Kill has elevated this program. Kill also has a superior pre Big Ten resume then Andersen.

Get use to this nonsense. We'll see a lot of this stuff over the next few months. August 28 can't come soon enough!

How long until we lose Kill? If he's the #36 coach in the country and we are only the #56 job, he'll be leaving for a better job soon. :rolleyes:

JAMES FRANKLIN #11?!?!?!?!?!

That's all the further I got when I determined this whole thing is malarkey

And Kill, Hoke, Ferentz and Pelini are all better than the career 38-35 Gary Andersen. What a joke..

JAMES FRANKLIN #11?!?!?!?!?!

That's all the further I got when I determined this whole thing is malarkey

He's currently the tight ends coach for the Tennesse Titans. How'd he get on this list?

Hahahahah.....

"Again, wins are important. But our rankings also take into account a blank slate. If you start a program from scratch, which coach would you hire?"

Kill #36

SportingNews Rankings of Big Ten Coaches:

#8: Jerry Kill, Minnesota

Here’s hoping Kill gets his seizure disorder under control, because when healthy, he’s a terrific coach. He won big in the NCAA lower divisions (Saginaw Valley State, Southern Illinois), then won big at Northern Illinois (and set up Dave Doeren) before arriving at Minnesota and rebuilding the mess he inherited.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...dy-hoke?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

As has been previously said... get used to these dumb "rankings" as writers scramble to provide "information" over the long off season between the spring games and the opening of fall camp. In the coming months we will learn TCF Bank Stadium is the 13th best stadium in the B1G, the University of Minnesota has the 73rd best traditions in college football, the marching band ranks below Hamline's according to 'somebody', and the Gophers will be going into next season with the 49th best set of d-backs in the country according to that guy that wrote a similar article last June and watched 3 college games since then.

Rankings? All these list makers care about are the top handful. After that their ratings become a crapshoot as they substitute perception for real research and thought. Print 'em off and reline your bird cages.

No way Andersen is ahead of Kill. What has he done at Wisconsin that has elevated there program even remotely close to how much Kill has elevated this program. Kill also has a superior pre Big Ten resume then Andersen.

Well, so if you're saying I took over Alabama and won 2 out of the next 3 National Championships, I couldn't be considered a top coach because all I did was keep the program where it is? Seems like that logic needs a little work.

Top Bottom