Limegrover: “I think our receivers know we recruited three phenomenal freshmen”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Competition makes players better and not only do the Gophers returnees have each other to face but they’re aware of three freshman wide receivers who will join the team next season—Melvin Holland, Isaiah Gentry and Conner Krizancic.

“I think our receivers know we recruited three phenomenal freshmen,” Limegrover told Sports Headliners in late March. “Those kids are going to be able to come in and compete right away.

“Those guys who are here understand they have an advantage because they’re here and they’re getting those reps and doing those things. …I’ve seen them take a step up as far as how they’re trying to approach things and what they’re (supposed) to do now because they know some young guys are gonna come and be pushing them.”

Holland is from Ashburn, Virginia, Gentry from Cincinnati and Krizancic is from Mentor, Ohio. Limegrover believes their commitment to attend Minnesota represents a recruiting milestone for the Gophers.

“We’re really, really fortunate,” Limegrover said. “Those are guys that in the past wouldn’t have made their way to Minnesota—that (would) have gotten gobbled up by somebody else and we would have been left trying to find the scraps at the bottom of the heap. The stars aligned for us recruiting those three kids and we’re pretty excited about them.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Melvin Holland looks like a stud. Good hands/speed/size. Can't wait to see him get some playing time next year.

I like that he is saying this and I like that this staff will play whoever they think will give them the most at the position. Good to know that the returnees don't get to relax knowing they very well may not be playing next year if they can't get open.

Lol. You took that as me being a Nelson fanboy? I'm a hit the receiver in the damn chest fanboy.

As am I, but I think the biggest problem with our passing game last year was the receiving the position (regardless of whether the QB was Nelson or Leidner).

Lol. You took that as me being a Nelson fanboy? I'm a hit the receiver in the damn chest fanboy.

I'm with you, Fuzzy. And like you, as long as the receiver is 10 feet away and st anding still, and you get 2 chances out of 3 to hit him. :)

Melvin Holland looks like a stud. Good hands/speed/size. Can't wait to see him get some playing time next year.

Obviously this is premature, but his body type definitely reminds me of big time wide receivers in the NFL.

That being said, lets hope a couple of the returnees can greatly improve this offseason so we can redshirt at least one of these recruits.

Leidner is a D2 QB, so if they are indeed skillful, it's unfortunate they won't have a QB to deliver them quality throws. It was absolutely embarrassing watching him play QB at the spring game (and last year). If he's the clear #1, this staff has done an abysmal job of recruiting and developing QBs

Leidner is a D2 QB, so if they are indeed skillful, it's unfortunate they won't have a QB to deliver them quality throws. It was absolutely embarrassing watching him play QB at the spring game (and last year). If he's the clear #1, this staff has done an abysmal job of recruiting and developing QBs

You should try watching some of the games and open practices. Leidner had some great drives last year as a RS Freshman with almost no experience. In particular, a great drive against Michigan and, of course, the 4th qtr of the bowl game. He would have won that game for us if the special teams hadn't allowed a run back. As it was he took the game down to the last play.

In the spring practices so far Mitch has looked very good. He can throw an accurate long ball. We haven't seen that in Minnesota since Cory Sauter (sp?).

After summer workouts, 30 practices in the fall, and 4 non-conference games (which minnesota will win), Mitch will enter the B10 as a very good QB - a real threat.

You should try watching some of the games and open practices. Leidner had some great drives last year as a RS Freshman with almost no experience. In particular, a great drive against Michigan and, of course, the 4th qtr of the bowl game. He would have won that game for us if the special teams hadn't allowed a run back. As it was he took the game down to the last play.

In the spring practices so far Mitch has looked very good. He can throw an accurate long ball. We haven't seen that in Minnesota since Cory Sauter (sp?).

After summer workouts, 30 practices in the fall, and 4 non-conference games (which minnesota will win), Mitch will enter the B10 as a very good QB - a real threat.

What you describe is exactly what I am hoping for with Mr. Leidner during this 2014 season. May he have a break-out season and may he have the good fortune to stay healthy!

Obviously this is premature, but his body type definitely reminds me of big time wide receivers in the NFL.

That being said, lets hope a couple of the returnees can greatly improve this offseason so we can redshirt at least one of these recruits.
Krizancic and maybe Gentry as well will probably redshirt. No way all 3 play regardless of the current WR situation.

Was Philip Nelson a D2 QB as well? Or did he just transfer to another D1 school? Because pretty sure Leidner had similar or better stats than Nelson last year and seemed to move the ball better. Posts like this are just stupid. Not every team can find a Johnny Football.

What you describe is exactly what I am hoping for with Mr. Leidner during this 2014 season. May he have a break-out season and may he have the good fortune to stay healthy!

The coaches have said they don't plan to run the QB as much this year as last. They understand they need to keep Mitch healthy. That said, the B10 is a big boys conference and it wouldn't surprise me if Mitch missed a game or so. The good news is Streveler, with a little game experience, will be pretty good as well. Streveler is quite fast and it wouldn't surprise me if, at some point we see Streveler and Edwards run some variation of the option - sort of a poor man's version of Martinez and Abdullah. If a team hasn't prepared for that it would be very hard to stop.

Anyway, keep the faith Wren - this year we WILL beat Wisconsin. This team is a lot better than last year's team - perhaps the best team I have seen in the last 30 years.

this is cute

Jury is out on Leidner but I am probably more optimistic than a lot of you. Let's see how he does when he isn't coming off the bench and a fill-in type role like last year. That's a different mindset. He talks the talk but can he perform under pressure. He has a rocket arm when he gets set properly and can make all the throws.

We have a lot of young talent between him and Streveler and McKinzy. With receivers like Holland Jr and a back like Jeff Jones (fingers crossed) coming in the future is very bright.

The coaches have said they don't plan to run the QB as much this year as last. They understand they need to keep Mitch healthy. That said, the B10 is a big boys conference and it wouldn't surprise me if Mitch missed a game or so. The good news is Streveler, with a little game experience, will be pretty good as well. Streveler is quite fast and it wouldn't surprise me if, at some point we see Streveler and Edwards run some variation of the option - sort of a poor man's version of Martinez and Abdullah. If a team hasn't prepared for that it would be very hard to stop.

Anyway, keep the faith Wren - this year we WILL beat Wisconsin. This team is a lot better than last year's team - perhaps the best team I have seen in the last 30 years.

And IF that could come to be: the last 30 years of waiting will have been WELL worth the wait! And the sweetest win to me would be a win in Madison! But, that is just me. I've lived so near that border with wisky for what seems to be a lifetime. That Mississippi River around South Eastern Minnesota has one Bank on the Minnesota side and the other Bank on the wisky side. The Mighty Mississippi will roll on by no matter which team wins...but...there will be MUCH better balance in the world when Minnesota starts winning their 50% of the battles with the stinking badger state. And, this old Gopher Fan needs a win over the stinking badgers in the worst way too! The badgers have ALMOST evened the all time series record. My Gophers...your Gophers...the Minnesota Golden Gophers need to beat the stinking badgers!

Check out the segment of Holland Jr. video starting at 1:56. He (Holland #21 on defense) strips the ball, teammate recovers and it's off to the races. Obviously the players are not DBs but the speed differential is impressive, man amongst boys type stuff. Dare I ask what is his (official) 40 time?

Neither Isaiah Gentry or Conner Krizancic had really significant offers. Both players had MAC offers and Conner was committed to Cincinnati (best offer either guy had), so for a Big Ten program landing these guys shouldn't be a milestone. Now I know Gentry reportedly would have had better offers if more teams were willing/able to wait on some hurdles he had to clear and maybe Conner would have gotten some more offers if he wasn't a Cincinnati commit. This staff recruited a lot of guys at wide receiver this past recruiting cycle and their wasn't a lot of interest in playing in this offense. They did a very good job of finding some guys who could be quality guys and getting them committed very late in the recruiting cycle. Limegrover makes it sound like we beat a number of B1G and SEC schools for these kids, which simply did not happen.

Check out the segment of Holland Jr. video starting at 1:56. He (Holland #21 on defense) strips the ball, teammate recovers and it's off to the races. Obviously the players are not DBs but the speed differential is impressive, man amongst boys type stuff. Dare I ask what is his (official) 40 time?
Just checked it and confirmed. Dude is lighting fast, he most definitely will be playing game 1

Actually, Leidner is a Division I QB. For reference, see the Gophers roster.

I wish the coaches would hold back on the praise with incoming Fr's. These kids could be very good and be our best WR's but Minnesota fans have been burnt putting a lot of stock in players like Nelson, Harbison, McDonald and DCT to a lesser degree.

The best we have had under Coach Kill in the passing/WR game has been a QB recruit many thought would end up at TE and walk-ons Engel & Barker. What does that say about potential and higher rated recruits?

Neither Isaiah Gentry or Conner Krizancic had really significant offers. Both players had MAC offers and Conner was committed to Cincinnati (best offer either guy had), so for a Big Ten program landing these guys shouldn't be a milestone. Now I know Gentry reportedly would have had better offers if more teams were willing/able to wait on some hurdles he had to clear and maybe Conner would have gotten some more offers if he wasn't a Cincinnati commit. This staff recruited a lot of guys at wide receiver this past recruiting cycle and their wasn't a lot of interest in playing in this offense. They did a very good job of finding some guys who could be quality guys and getting them committed very late in the recruiting cycle. Limegrover makes it sound like we beat a number of B1G and SEC schools for these kids, which simply did not happen.

According to Rivals, Gentry had a Rutgers offer (a Big Ten school). In Krizancic's defense, he played quarterback his senior year, which may have cut down offers for playing WR in college.

Actually, Leidner is a Division I QB. For reference, see the Gophers roster.

To the best of my knowledge, the only two players to score four TDs in a single game at any level are Mitch Leidner and Al Bundy. I'd say Mitch is legit.

Top Bottom