Limegrover: “I think our receivers know we recruited three phenomenal freshmen”

I'm not sure what's been over-the-top in this thread. Stating that Streveler and McKinzy need to be ready? Mitch's hard-nosed running style isn't exactly conducive to playing every snap for a full 12 games, so they better be ready even if one believes Mitch will be great this year. And I realize that isn't what I was alluding to.

Saying things like Leider is a DII QB is over the top to say the least. Also i don't think predicting a top 3 DT-QB recruit and future NFL player to be an all big ten player automatically disqualifies someones opinion.

All I know is Mentor and Cinci Moeller went head to head in the large schools state championships in Ohio (D1 of 7 divisions) and these two (Gentry and Krizanic) were the two biggest impact players on the field.

I watched the scrimmage again last night and, besides Dave Lee and BTN's comical inability to recognize the proper qb, Leidner had some nice throws and some obvious miscommunications and a few clunkers. Not as bad as my first impression.

I suppose it's the power of expectations. We expected to see 70 yard td bombs and precision crossing routes and it wasn't that. It was more of the same type of routes we saw last year.

We'll be fine.

The production from BTN looked like a bunch of high school kids running the truck and announcing. It was pathetic but that may be par for the course in spring games. I didn't watch any other b10 spring games, so I can't comment. I doubt many teams are springing 70 yard bombs in practice anyway, what do they prove? I think the new receivers can only help, since lack of talent and depth at WR contributed to crappy passing game as much as Qb's errant throws did. What's funny with the Leidner fumbling comment is that if you think about it, the more we pass and he's a Pocket QB, the less he'll fumble. The more we can't pass and we're forced to rely on his running to offset the RB's, the more he'll fumble. At least, that's when he fumbled last year (running, not passing). Not sure if any of the incoming freshmen receivers have it in them, but there is plenty of room for them to be stars this year.

Our passing game has been the victim of bad luck in many ways. We've lost QBs to injuries and been forced to play freshmen. At wide receiver our more promising recruits (Harbison, McDonald) fell victim to off the field problems while DCT just didn't like football. If even one of those three lived up to expectations we probably wouldn't be calling Leidner a D2 QB and maybe Nelson wouldn't have transferred. That's just speculation of course. Still wouldn't it be nice to be going into this season with a say McDonald a junior or DCT a senior to go along with the existing guys?

A d2 QB puhlease

Performance in a spring game, who cares? A glorified practice scrimage where a lot of starters either were out or sat out, that very few plays of any consequence. The same spring game that we run the ball a lot and third team walk-on's can look like stars playing against other 3rd team players and end of the bench types.
Leidner is fine, the dude can run anyone over he want's to at any time and the kid has a fantastic arm.
I'm not worried about Mitch Leidner his teamates have his back and once the o-line is back together and we mix in the new receivers to challenge the older guys and the status quo things will only look up. The new kids are some of the best receivers that we have recruited in 10 years.
All I need to know is that Leidner threw about as good a pass as you can throw at the end of the bowl game against Syracuse, it was well defended and hit the reciever in the chest, if he had reacted to the ball with hands instead of body that's a game winning touchdown. All of that with pressure and a throw not a lot guys can make on a dime, to know that Leidner can only get better. Mitch is going to square his crap away and be a good one.
By the end of next season Leidner will be one of the better QB's in the Big 10 when it is all said and done.

Still wouldn't it be nice to be going into this season with a say McDonald a junior or DCT a senior to go along with the existing guys?

Here we go again with the DCT love on this board. I won't be goated again.

Here we go again with the DCT love on this board. I won't be goated again.

Whats so crazy about believing that having a senior WR that played major minutes as a frosh and soph would be convenient when probably our top 2 WRs this year will be sophomores? He isn't saying he will be megaton and he didn't even single him out. He grouped him in with 2 other receivers. You would think he would be referring to a player the caliber of Victor Kiese with that type of reaction.

Whats so crazy about believing that having a senior WR that played major minutes as a frosh and soph would be convenient when probably our top 2 WRs this year will be sophomores? He isn't saying he will be megaton and he didn't even single him out. He grouped him in with 2 other receivers. You would think he would be referring to a player the caliber of Victor Kiese with that type of reaction.

Why take a shot at Victor?

Pass blocking is still my concern with our passing game. We're done if having to be more than 55% pass. I hope it improves.

Don't bring Moses Alipate into this.

Performance in a spring game, who cares? A glorified practice scrimage where a lot of starters either were out or sat out, that very few plays of any consequence. The same spring game that we run the ball a lot and third team walk-on's can look like stars playing against other 3rd team players and end of the bench types.
Leidner is fine, the dude can run anyone over he want's to at any time and the kid has a fantastic arm.
I'm not worried about Mitch Leidner his teamates have his back and once the o-line is back together and we mix in the new receivers to challenge the older guys and the status quo things will only look up. The new kids are some of the best receivers that we have recruited in 10 years.
All I need to know is that Leidner threw about as good a pass as you can throw at the end of the bowl game against Syracuse, it was well defended and hit the reciever in the chest, if he had reacted to the ball with hands instead of body that's a game winning touchdown. All of that with pressure and a throw not a lot guys can make on a dime, to know that Leidner can only get better. Mitch is going to square his crap away and be a good one.
By the end of next season Leidner will be one of the better QB's in the Big 10 when it is all said and done.

A guy next to me complained about the defense every time the offense gained yardage. Maybe our defense played well, which is fine with me.

Don't count on the big strong quarterback to be fine just because: "...the dude can run anyone over he want's to at any time and the kid has a fantastic arm..." Didn't we hear that about M Gray all the time. And, sadly, by mid-way through his senior year he couldn't even get healthy enough to get back out on the field. Now he looked like superman running the ball against those OOC teams early in the season. But, even the biggest, strongest quarterbacks don't stay healthy all the time when they both have the ability to run over linebackers and they have too many opportunities to run over linebackers.

If Coach Kill and Limegrover and the qb coach don't keep Leidner from running into, over, through and under linebackers too often, I fear he will suffer the same fate as M. Gray who, if anything was bigger and stronger than Leidner. It is up to our coaches to keep this young quarterback healthy by putting a short leash on his running the ball habits.

Our Coaches have GOT to realize they don't have any experience behind Leidner, so if he has to miss an extended portion of the Conference Schedule, they had better be getting their 2nd...3rd and 4th string quarterbacks some game experience early and often during this 2014 season.

Remember M. Gray Coach Kill. Quarterbacks get hurt and can't play when they run over, around, through and under linebackers. And Coach Limegrover: when you run your quarterback off-tackle too many times the results may not be all that conducive to keeping your quarterback in the game the last few weeks of November.

.....If Coach Kill and Limegrover and the qb coach don't keep Leidner from running into, over, through and under linebackers too often, I fear he will suffer the same fate as M. Gray who, if anything was bigger and stronger than Leidner. It is up to our coaches to keep this young quarterback healthy by putting a short leash on his running the ball habits.

Our Coaches have GOT to realize they don't have any experience behind Leidner, so if he has to miss an extended portion of the Conference Schedule, they had better be getting their 2nd...3rd and 4th string quarterbacks some game experience early and often during this 2014 season.

Remember M. Gray Coach Kill. Quarterbacks get hurt and can't play when they run over, around, through and under linebackers. And Coach Limegrover: when you run your quarterback off-tackle too many times the results may not be all that conducive to keeping your quarterback in the game the last few weeks of November.

I absolutely LOVE it when wren imagines himself as the consultant to the coaches. Can you imagine how many delay of games we'd have if wren were in charge? It would take him 5 minutes to make a play call to express the fact that he wanted to run off tackle on 2. I can see it now:

wren: "Remember boys, this is a B1G Game. Nothing else matters but these conference games. It means A LOT! Mason is not here, but don't worry, I endorse the Kill system and will provide a contrast to him. We need to beat Wisky and the Hawgeyes. Now you big strong linemen you need to open up HOLES in the line. Leidner....remember M GRAY! Hand off the ball to COBB! We need to RUN the ball OVER, UNDER, AROUND, and THROUGH these guys." (meanwhile, referee is marching off a 5-yard delay of game). Wren waddles out on to the field and tells the referee that they are OOC refs and that they don't matter. While the clock continues to run, wren tells the players to get out on to the field. "THIS is a B1G game, this Brewster never understood that. Mason did understand it. Lou Hoax understood it. Now O-Line, you need to open up HOLES in the line." (5-more yards is marched off by the referee - 1st time there has been 2-successive delay of game calls).

I could go on and on, but it would be too boring.

; 0 )

If I didn't know better, I'd swear wren was a traveling shower curtain ring salesman.

Wren everything you said I think the coaches already know.

Don't count on the big strong quarterback to be fine just because: "...the dude can run anyone over he want's to at any time and the kid has a fantastic arm..." Didn't we hear that about M Gray all the time. And, sadly, by mid-way through his senior year he couldn't even get healthy enough to get back out on the field. Now he looked like superman running the ball against those OOC teams early in the season. But, even the biggest, strongest quarterbacks don't stay healthy all the time when they both have the ability to run over linebackers and they have too many opportunities to run over linebackers.

If Coach Kill and Limegrover and the qb coach don't keep Leidner from running into, over, through and under linebackers too often, I fear he will suffer the same fate as M. Gray who, if anything was bigger and stronger than Leidner. It is up to our coaches to keep this young quarterback healthy by putting a short leash on his running the ball habits.

And Mtch for that matter also. I think Mitch knows he has to stay healthy and will be selective when he tries to run the ball or people over. That is all.

And Mtch for that matter also. I think Mitch knows he has to stay healthy and will be selective when he tries to run the ball or people over. That is all.

Hope so. One problem with ML the freshman was he selected to run too quickly & too often. If he stands in the pocket when under pressure and still looks to pass in that situation he will help our team in more ways than just by staying healthy.

Hope so. One problem with ML the freshman was he selected to run too quickly & too often. If he stands in the pocket when under pressure and still looks to pass in that situation he will help our team in more ways than just by staying healthy.

I liked how he was more decisive in deciding to run or pass last year more so then Nelson. Also i'm not completely worried if he has to miss about 2 or 3 games due to injury, Streveler and Dimonic went 9-10

I absolutely LOVE it when wren imagines himself as the consultant to the coaches. Can you imagine how many delay of games we'd have if wren were in charge? It would take him 5 minutes to make a play call to express the fact that he wanted to run off tackle on 2. I can see it now:

wren: "Remember boys, this is a B1G Game. Nothing else matters but these conference games. It means A LOT! Mason is not here, but don't worry, I endorse the Kill system and will provide a contrast to him. We need to beat Wisky and the Hawgeyes. Now you big strong linemen you need to open up HOLES in the line. Leidner....remember M GRAY! Hand off the ball to COBB! We need to RUN the ball OVER, UNDER, AROUND, and THROUGH these guys." (meanwhile, referee is marching off a 5-yard delay of game). Wren waddles out on to the field and tells the referee that they are OOC refs and that they don't matter. While the clock continues to run, wren tells the players to get out on to the field. "THIS is a B1G game, this Brewster never understood that. Mason did understand it. Lou Hoax understood it. Now O-Line, you need to open up HOLES in the line." (5-more yards is marched off by the referee - 1st time there has been 2-successive delay of game calls).

I could go on and on, but it would be too boring.

; 0 )

Classic! I actually like Wren's passion for Gopher football, but this post is funny.

Coach Kill recruits mobile QB's, guys who can be involved in the running game. A Brian Cupito would never have received a look from Kill.

Chandler/Harnisch/etc ran a lot about 15 carries a game, at NIU and were a integral part of their running game. I expect the future Gopher QB's to continue to do the same.

I wonder if the staff teaches our QB's to slide and try to avoid the huge hit. Me thinks no. I don't recall Q, Nelson and Leidner avoiding very many hits.

Coach Kill recruits mobile QB's, guys who can be involved in the running game. A Brian Cupito would never have received a look from Kill.

Chandler/Harnisch/etc ran a lot about 15 carries a game, at NIU and were a integral part of their running game. I expect the future Gopher QB's to continue to do the same.

I wonder if the staff teaches our QB's to slide and try to avoid the huge hit. Me thinks no. I don't recall Q, Nelson and Leidner avoiding very many hits.

Re: teaching qb's to slide and try to avoid the huge hit. I agree that is probably the last thing that this staff teaches. Just read what the QB Coach said about telling the qb to get out there and fly around and make something happen. The qb's at Northern Illinois were probably their team's rushing leaders or close to it. And, just take a look at what M. Gray was apparently encouraged to do with his game by this staff. He didn't really have the speed to "fly" around, but I don't recall him ever avoiding the big hits. He was opting to put the big hits on the linebackers. And I do recall a fair amount of called "off-tackle" runs by MG. And it wasn't only near the goal line or any where in the red zone.

Leidner tucks and runs too quickly, but, I am sure that fits the philosophy of the old baseball guy quarterbacks coach about flying around, having fun and making something happen. It probably is more fun to tuck and run than to hang back in the pocket watching the rush get closer and closer and than the hit just after you release.

After reading the qb coach's philosophy, I think we can expect to see who ever is playing qb ready to fly around and make some hits rather than taking some hits in the pocket.

I don't know if that's good or not so good, but, at the end of the season we will know what the philosophy for 2014 was. And, the Conference record will be the final grade to determine where that philosophy led the quarterbacks and the team in comparison to the other teams in the conference.

"The demise of this coaching staff"...

Sheesh

The staff has told us that Leidner isn't going to running as much this year. Could because of an improved running game. Could be because of an improved passing game. Could be to avoid injury. Could be to avoid fumbles. Could be a combination of factors. Either way, this O will roll (as long as the line gets the job done and they should be the strength).

Re: teaching qb's to slide and try to avoid the huge hit. I agree that is probably the last thing that this staff teaches. Just read what the QB Coach said about telling the qb to get out there and fly around and make something happen. The qb's at Northern Illinois were probably their team's rushing leaders or close to it. And, just take a look at what M. Gray was apparently encouraged to do with his game by this staff. He didn't really have the speed to "fly" around, but I don't recall him ever avoiding the big hits. He was opting to put the big hits on the linebackers. And I do recall a fair amount of called "off-tackle" runs by MG. And it wasn't only near the goal line or any where in the red zone.

Leidner tucks and runs too quickly, but, I am sure that fits the philosophy of the old baseball guy quarterbacks coach about flying around, having fun and making something happen. It probably is more fun to tuck and run than to hang back in the pocket watching the rush get closer and closer and than the hit just after you release.

After reading the qb coach's philosophy, I think we can expect to see who ever is playing qb ready to fly around and make some hits rather than taking some hits in the pocket.

I don't know if that's good or not so good, but, at the end of the season we will know what the philosophy for 2014 was. And, the Conference record will be the final grade to determine where that philosophy led the quarterbacks and the team in comparison to the other teams in the conference.

By wren sharing his wisdom from above with us, it becomes clear that he is Chance from movie Being There. If you don't understand him, see the movie. Everything will begin to make sense to you. Click on the top right button from the link below to hear why.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...here&fr2=sb-top&fr=uh3_my_web_gs&type=2button

Top Bottom