TCF Bank Stadium Modifications to Begin This Week

Looking at that photo from today and one from the innaugural game against Air Force in 2009, the new turf definitely has a much darker, deeper shade of green to it.

I like it more, personally.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just putting down the E in Minnesota. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>. <a href="http://t.co/ytEsz5YlPT">pic.twitter.com/ytEsz5YlPT</a></p>— Gopher Football (@GopherFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/statuses/473520598833184768">June 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hopefully they keep those end zone markings for both teams instead of messing with it each game.

It does look like the Minnesota markings are such that they can be used for both teams.

Yes, it looks to me they are going with green end zones and a generic "Minnesota" in a color that happens to be shared by both teams. So, that means they won't be doing the removable squares like the Jets/Giants interchangable end zones, but won't have exact team specific end zones either. They will have to paint the center logos and hash marks each week to account for the team and league differences.

At least the spacing between the T and A in Minnesota appears to have been corrected in comparison to the old turf. That extra space always annoyed me.

The turf on the field of play looks darker than in the out of bounds areas.

Yes, it looks to me they are going with green end zones and a generic "Minnesota" in a color that happens to be shared by both teams. So, that means they won't be doing the removable squares like the Jets/Giants interchangable end zones, but won't have exact team specific end zones either. They will have to paint the center logos and hash marks each week to account for the team and league differences.
It looks like a darker gold than a Vikings Yellow to me. I bet they switch all logos on the field between games.

It looks like a darker gold than a Vikings Yellow to me. I bet they switch all logos on the field between games.

Now the gold on the field doesn't match the gold on the seats...can't they get anything right?

The turf is only going to be used for two seasons, three if the Vikings stadium runs into delays. After that, The Bank gets a brand new turf again. The color of the gold in any lettering or markings on that field is the real issue. What we see right now, which may look closer in shade when seen in the sun and/or in contact with maroon, is a temporary necessity.

just stopped at The Bank to take a quick look and yep, she's still a beaut.

The dark green color looks awesome, just another great stadium feature. I'm curious to see how much the coloring will change once they add all the rubber pellets and if the color fades with use/weather.

I really like the two different shades of green (I don't think I've seen that before?), but there's a very distinct contrast between the two that once again I hope remains as sharp throughout the rest of the turf build process.

It definitely looks like the end zones will be green but what do I know? Can't wait for the fall...

Weird how the out-of-bounds is the darker shade of green behind the end zone, but a lighter shade on the sidelines.

Weird how the out-of-bounds is the darker shade of green behind the end zone, but a lighter shade on the sidelines.

Field and sideline are a different type of turf, and the sideline doesn't have the heating system--teams use heated benches and blowers as they did before. There were two types before as well. Heavy equipment, including TV cranes, etc. would destroy the field turf.

I think it is weird that it matches your logo. Coincidence? I don't think so!

I still hope they do something like this in 2016 when it's back to just being the Gopher's turf..

gopher field.jpg

Both end zones done

BpNySvzCAAAYPcC.jpg

It looks to me like it is sewn in. It is generic and gold so it would work for both the Vikings and Gophers. Originally I had the impression they would leave the end zones green and paint what the Vikings or Gophers wanted in there for their game days. This looks more Gopher-ish so this is a "win" as far as I am concerned. The block M should still look pretty good at mid field when it is painted in on Saturdays. All in all a good compromise as far as I am concerned.

The turf is only going to be used for two seasons, three if the Vikings stadium runs into delays. After that, The Bank gets a brand new turf again. The color of the gold in any lettering or markings on that field is the real issue. What we see right now, which may look closer in shade when seen in the sun and/or in contact with maroon, is a temporary necessity.

Are we sure that's true? The agreement was that the turf had to be essentially how they found it (i.e. permanent logos). I wonder if they will just sew the logos in this turf after 2 years?

It looks to me like it is sewn in. It is generic and gold so it would work for both the Vikings and Gophers. Originally I had the impression they would leave the end zones green and paint what the Vikings or Gophers wanted in there for their game days. This looks more Gopher-ish so this is a "win" as far as I am concerned. The block M should still look pretty good at mid field when it is painted in on Saturdays. All in all a good compromise as far as I am concerned.
It looks like paint or whatever removable substance to me. Here's an example of a logo being "sewn in"
lfpzv.jpg

Are we sure that's true? The agreement was that the turf had to be essentially how they found it (i.e. permanent logos). I wonder if they will just sew the logos in this turf after 2 years?

If the turf is still good, wouldn't hurt to continue using it.

Sure it would. Vikings will pay for a brand new turf, the U should take advantage of that and get the total replacement.

If there is a way to hold on to the money and get another year or two of use out of the field why not do so.

If there is a way to hold on to the money and get another year or two of use out of the field why not do so.

What money will the U save? The Vikings will pay for the new field. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work for the U to say, "Don't replace the field, just cut us a check instead."

The original turf lasted five seasons and about 35 Gophers home games from 2009 to 2013, plus that 1 Vikings game in 2010. It looked, by artificial turf standards, a bit worn by the end. That stuff has a certain usage life and the field would likely have been replaced in the next year or two anyway, for the sake of player safety if nothing else. The new turf will experience no less than 34 Gophers and Vikings home games over the next two seasons, more if the Vikings make the playoffs and have some home games. If the new Vikings stadium suffers some sort of construction delay that keeps the Vikes at The Bank for an unexpected extra season, then 34 games becomes more like 51. Either way, the turf wil be used hard and will have less time for maintenance and recovery. It's already in the Vikings/TCF Bank user stadium that a new field will go in after the Vikes move out. There will be no need to delay the field replacement at that stage.

Top Bottom