The Dust Hasn't Even Settled Yet, But....

Twynntown

Reaction score
Tough loss last night. Could have, should have, would have. But I think overall, this was an overachieving season for this team. I think the future looks extremely bright considering our Freshman & Sophomore classes. But, every year at this time, it become a guessing game of who takes off early.

I always feel like athletes on teams like this will want to come back and take care of unfinished business, after this kind of season. But the allure of professional hockey is too good to refuse, in most cases. I don't blame them. I want them to stay for selfish reasons. So, who will stay, who will go, and why?

My biggest concern is Mike Reilly. The kid grew up so much between last season and this year, and really became a superstar. One of the most dynamic puck handlers I've seen in a while, and as a Defenseman. I think he could use another year to mature, but I wonder if the Blue Jackets will come a calling.

Beyond Reilly, I'm not sure. I feel like Kyle Rau won't be back next year, but it's just a gut feeling. And I wonder about fringe players like A.J. Michaelson and Christian Isackson, who don't get the amount of playing time they would probably like. For players like that, there are options. They could go get more playing time somewhere else. And then there's Adam Wilcox. You keep hearing that there is too much depth at Goaltending for the Tampa Bay Lightning. But then you see situations where trades happen, injuries happen, and fourth, fifth or sixth string goalies on the depth chart step up into a starting position.

What do you think?

Tough loss last night. Could have, should have, would have. But I think overall, this was an overachieving season for this team. I think the future looks extremely bright considering our Freshman & Sophomore classes. But, every year at this time, it become a guessing game of who takes off early.

I always feel like athletes on teams like this will want to come back and take care of unfinished business, after this kind of season. But the allure of professional hockey is too good to refuse, in most cases. I don't blame them. I want them to stay for selfish reasons. So, who will stay, who will go, and why?

My biggest concern is Mike Reilly. The kid grew up so much between last season and this year, and really became a superstar. One of the most dynamic puck handlers I've seen in a while, and as a Defenseman. I think he could use another year to mature, but I wonder if the Blue Jackets will come a calling.

Beyond Reilly, I'm not sure. I feel like Kyle Rau won't be back next year, but it's just a gut feeling. And I wonder about fringe players like A.J. Michaelson and Christian Isackson, who don't get the amount of playing time they would probably like. For players like that, there are options. They could go get more playing time somewhere else. And then there's Adam Wilcox. You keep hearing that there is too much depth at Goaltending for the Tampa Bay Lightning. But then you see situations where trades happen, injuries happen, and fourth, fifth or sixth string goalies on the depth chart step up into a starting position.

What do you think?

The NHL doesn't seem to like smaller guys, so I'm guessing that Rau is back. Maybe, I'm just hoping that he returns.

Agreed on Rau. He's not big, and that usually makes players stick around longer. With Reilly, I heard he has (another) brother coming along, and that might be a good sign for him sticking around.

With the Reilly thing, I can't find my evidence right now, but I'm almost certain I read that somewhere.

I'm worried about both Reilly and Skjei leaving, not so much about Rau or Wilcox.

Both the D men will end up playing in the NHL, it's only a matter of when. I think they're both nearly ready at this point, but who knows what their respective organizations think.

As far as Wilcox goes, I would be shocked if he left. Name the last American goalie to have a successful NHL career that is not named Ryan Miller.

I'm worried about both Reilly and Skjei leaving, not so much about Rau or Wilcox.

Both the D men will end up playing in the NHL, it's only a matter of when. I think they're both nearly ready at this point, but who knows what their respective organizations think.

As far as Wilcox goes, I would be shocked if he left. Name the last American goalie to have a successful NHL career that is not named Ryan Miller.

I think you're correct. If Skjei stays that'll be his last year. I think he will have a decent NHL career.

If we don't lose at least one guy, I will be amazed. But it might restore my faith in players wanting to come back to "complete unfinished business".

Definitely more concerned about Reilly leaving than Skjei. Skjei's stick-handling and passing just isn't there yet, though he is one of the strongest skaters we've had in recent memory.

My guesses:

Actually am most worried about Skjei, but think he's back. I think there's room for him possibly at the NHL level but I think they've seen his development as solid thus far and will leave him at the U until a potential playoff move late in the year next year. If he was going to go if they needed him, it'd be now with the need for some size against a hard-checking Flyers team.

Reilly: I think Columbus will throw it all at him to leave, but I see him coming back for one more chance with his siblings to win it all (maybe it's just my hope). Plus he's a year away from an NHL impact due to his weight. Everything else is there for him in terms of skill but thickness is an issue in handling NHL caliber forwards. Plus he can get out of Columbus waiting a year and sign with a team that's a better fit.

Rau: I see the Panthers offering Rau the max to come out, as their team is ways away. However if they think he's developing well here they may leave him alone. Personally I think they try get him in the farm system so that they can give him his few games in the pros and send him down to the minors for several seasons. In my personal opinion, Rau would be best served by staying, which is what I see him electing to do.

Wilcox: goalies for TB are quite young and I don't see them feeling the need to bring up Wilcox, considering he already is facing good competition here. Really no need to pull him up at this point.

Transfers: I'm guessing one or two guys that were mentioned earlier transfers out just due to the realization it's not likely going to happen for them unless they elect to become our next Serratore and are willing to be that physical presence. I'd love to have them do that, but it's a hard realization for some former star players to make.

Top Bottom