Gophers Spring Game report and analysis thread

Weber against MSU on Halloween night, yes. Otherwise, no. The way folks remember things is so comical. Let's start the "if only we still had DCT" thread again while we are at it.

Oh, sparlimbs and a few of these other people who are just obsessed with Weber, Mason and a few other people who actually helped give we old die-hard Gopher fans something to cheer about, feel as though we had at least a "prayer" once in a while when we walked into the Horse Shoe in Columbus, the Big House in Ann Arbor, Kinnick in iowa City, State College, PA, and some of those other Big Ten Stadiums. And, all Weber did was help provide a few wonderful memories of what MIGHT come with Gopher Football some day in the future AFTER they could ditch, dump and throw that brewball era as far under the bus as possible.

Those funny, funny LITTLE people like that sparlimbs character WANT to bring up the Mason ERA any chance they have. Those types are TOTALLY obsessed with the Mason ERA. Perhaps it is because Coach Mason recruited and red-shirted Weber so that he could be the ONLY option that Brewster character EVER called on to start at qb during the entire 3 1/2 years that the U of M was STUPID enough to employ him as a head football coach.

So, don't blame me because these sparlimbs and his little friends WANT so very much to bring Coach Mason and great Gopher Players from the past like Weber into the conversation. I brought up neither of these two names. And now I withdraw my comments about either. However, this sparlimbs needs to be given credit where credit is due. He has an obsession about Weber, obviously. This sparlimbs just doesn't have quite enough reason to go on without commenting on Weber just out of the blue. Take a hike sparlimbs. Keep your impressions of Weber to yourself. I have NO interest in what you think about anything.

Personally I greatly admired Mr. Weber as a competitor, a football player, and one of my more recent favorite Golden Gopher Players! His records speak for themselves. He showed up EVERY time that pathetic former coach Brewster called his number. He played hurt. He played on in spite of constant coaching changes. He is on my ALL-TIME Gopher Team as ONE of the quarterbacks and he EARNED every record that he holds. The record books will NOT be rewritten any time soon when it comes to the records Mr. Weber holds. He IS and always will be a real GOLDEN Gopher.

I really don't think he would EVER let any ba$tard get him down...

Oh, sparlimbs and a few of these other people who are just obsessed with Weber, Mason and a few other people who actually helped give we old die-hard Gopher fans something to cheer about, feel as though we had at least a "prayer" once in a while when we walked into the Horse Shoe in Columbus, the Big House in Ann Arbor, Kinnick in iowa City, State College, PA, and some of those other Big Ten Stadiums. And, all Weber did was help provide a few wonderful memories of what MIGHT come with Gopher Football some day in the future AFTER they could ditch, dump and throw that brewball era as far under the bus as possible.

Those funny, funny LITTLE people like that sparlimbs character WANT to bring up the Mason ERA any chance they have. Those types are TOTALLY obsessed with the Mason ERA. Perhaps it is because Coach Mason recruited and red-shirted Weber so that he could be the ONLY option that Brewster character EVER called on to start at qb during the entire 3 1/2 years that the U of M was STUPID enough to employ him as a head football coach.

So, don't blame me because these sparlimbs and his little friends WANT so very much to bring Coach Mason and great Gopher Players from the past like Weber into the conversation. I brought up neither of these two names. And now I withdraw my comments about either. However, this sparlimbs needs to be given credit where credit is due. He has an obsession about Weber, obviously. This sparlimbs just doesn't have quite enough reason to go on without commenting on Weber just out of the blue. Take a hike sparlimbs. Keep your impressions of Weber to yourself. I have NO interest in what you think about anything.

Personally I greatly admired Mr. Weber as a competitor, a football player, and one of my more recent favorite Golden Gopher Players! His records speak for themselves. He showed up EVERY time that pathetic former coach Brewster called his number. He played hurt. He played on in spite of constant coaching changes. He is on my ALL-TIME Gopher Team as ONE of the quarterbacks and he EARNED every record that he holds. The record books will NOT be rewritten any time soon when it comes to the records Mr. Weber holds. He IS and always will be a real GOLDEN Gopher.

Mason never beat a team that finish in the top 3 of the Big Ten in a DECADE! Only Mason's Gopher's and Indiana failed to finish in the top 3 during the Mason decade. The Gophers "having a chance" (in your mind) equaled about 3-5 in the conference and losses to Wisconsin and Iowa were regular occurrences including many blowouts later in the Mason tenure. He left the cupboard completely bare too!

As for the Spring game, I didn't know whether to be really impressed by the Gophers 2nd and 3rd team defenders or horrified by what I saw out of the passing game. The throws down field were almost all really, really ugly for one reason or another. I don't see receivers who can separate or quarterbacks that can throw the ball accurately. The deep ball Marcus Jones broke up should have been an easy TD, but the Qb ( I believe it was Leidner, but can't go back and check right now) had really poor mechanics throwing the ball of his back foot and as a result it came up short. The deep ball to Wolitarsky earlier was forcing something that wasn't there and then Drew did a really poor job of making an effort to keep Myrick from picking it off. The other side of the equation is that the defense performed well and it's nice to see that we have some guys that appear to be athletes on the 2nd and 3rd team. Obviously time will tell if that's the case, but we've struggled for as long as I can remember to put quality players on the field when a starter went down (especially at Corner and on the Dline).

Player I was interested in seeing was Duke, and he's a lot bigger than I expected. I read somewhere that he might play both TE and WR, and I certainly don't see WR in his future at all. The depth at TE really is impressive though the coaches probably would like to see another guy emerge as a blocker down the line.

One caveat on Leidner and that is a lot of people are saying he's looked very good in practice and it's not all Kool Aid drinkers making those comments. I am going to hold on to those observations and hope we see some of that guy when the games start for real and not much of the passing attack we saw in the Spring game.

I like Adam Weber and think that he took way more of a beating than he deserved. However, let's not get nuts here. He started four games against the Hawkeyes. One career TD and shut out two times. Not all his fault, but that's not good.

I like Adam Weber and think that he took way more of a beating than he deserved. However, let's not get nuts here. He started four games against the Hawkeyes. One career TD and shut out two times. Not all his fault, but that's not good.

weber > all qbs on the roster now and its not even close.

His best season statistically was as a senior.

Some would say that's cause he racked up "garbage" stats throwing a lot when we were behind. Might be true, but garbage or no garbage, we haven't racked up any passing lately and we could use his abilities lol. I'd easily take him right now.

Some would say that's cause he racked up "garbage" stats throwing a lot when we were behind. Might be true, but garbage or no garbage, we haven't racked up any passing lately and we could use his abilities lol. I'd easily take him right now.

They would be wrong anyways IMO. 8 of the 12 games that year were within 11 points or less. For a very bad season, there wasn't a lot of blowouts.

Top Bottom