Gaston Diedhiou commits to Gophers

I hope he is a project like Deandre Mathieu...how do we get him to All Big 10?

Gorgei Deng 2.0. Looks like an athlete and from his recent video, certainly isn't what I'd call skinny. Redshirt next year, then challenge for starting C position.

Since he'll turn 21 this year, I doubt he would be very interested in redshirting. I say play him at power forward this year. Get a transfer who has to sit out a year (there's are good ones from St. John's and Rice) to challenge for the center spot the following year.

First things first. How do we pronounce his name? That's critical for giving him a nickname.

Dee-dee-ooo? Di-DOO? Did-ee-oh?

some more highlights
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z9eGkt3etkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hard to see him clearly in this video, but his silhouette reminds me of Trevor Mbakwe. I like this signing.

First things first. How do we pronounce his name? That's critical for giving him a nickname.

My tea's gone cold, I'm wondering why I got out of bed at all.

Sid has just been calling Dieng "that D". He'll probably just go with "that other D" for this new Senegalese big man.

Tell me you don't see the potential there?

I don't know, what I see is a guy with spectacular potential. Is he polished? No, but look at the difference from one tape to the next.

Regarding Buggs...Pitino has said many times, it's not his athleticism keeping him from playing, it's his head. So, you can't compare this guy or anybody else to Buggs. Everybody develops differently. It's their thoughts that make the difference. Buggs beats himself up.

The staff will develop this guy and if it's possible Buggs. Most guys on here said Mathieu wouldn't even play before the season. Too short, too skinny. Mathieu disagreed. It should be obvious Pitino can judge talent and develop talent.

This guy could provide some awesome highlights. Anxious to see it happen. I am excited by this news!

I knew a surprise was coming, but I was expecting a transfer. Hearing he is a bit raw, but unlimited upside

We deleted a few posts that had nothing to do with this commitment and appeared to be baiting others into an argument. Please keep this thread on topic, and we will do our best to delete posts that veer off-topic. Thank you.

I knew a surprise was coming, but I was expecting a transfer. Hearing he is a bit raw, but unlimited upside

Glad you are hearing that. Hearing anything about how big of a project he is? Obviously no one can say for sure, but just wondering if he has a chance to make an impact next year or several years down the the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had to guess, I would say something like Deejzew or Deejzoe or Diejzew or Diejzoe

Since he'll turn 21 this year, I doubt he would be very interested in redshirting. I say play him at power forward this year. Get a transfer who has to sit out a year (there's are good ones from St. John's and Rice) to challenge for the center spot the following year.

I highly doubt he'll be ready to play significant minutes in the Big Ten this year. But who knows, hopefully we can see him against some of the cupcakes early in the season.

This is very much in topic to Gaston joining the gophers next year-

I wasn't saying we should push Buggs out the door, this may make it more likely for him to leave. An athletic big man, that can run the floor with some mass is exactly what Pitino wanted to turn Buggs into.

I think he should change his name to Hollins just to give ESPN something to talk about when they have Gopher games. :cool:

I know Spring recruits were basically Tubby's downfall, but Pitino has earned the benefit of the doubt. At minimum he looks like someone who can grab a rebound, and lord knows we need that.

Glad you are hearing that. Hearing anything about how big of a project he is? Obviously no one can say for sure, but just wondering if he has a chance to make an impact next year or several years down the the line.

I dont know anymore about the guy, or expectations for him. I would assume that a 21 year old freshman is not going to sit too long

I think this guy will be contributor next year. Doubt he redshirts since he is already 20. Mo/EE and Martin/Diedhiou is a pretty big/physical foursome in the front court. King doesn't fit with the other, but will definitely be an asset as well since he can shoot.

This is very much in topic to Gaston joining the gophers next year-

I wasn't saying we should push Buggs out the door, this may make it more likely for him to leave. An athletic big man, that can run the floor with some mass is exactly what Pitino wanted to turn Buggs into.

No reason to do that. If he can get the mental/defense issues solved and bottle what he did against Iowa/Michigan he will play no matter who else is on the roster. If he can't transferring may not help.

Was he wearing a soaking wet tuxedo when they came up with that 240lb number?

I'm excited about this. From his latest video, he looks really physical and is always trying to get to the rim (which is more than we can say about Buggs and King). I don't understand why some people are writing him off before he even gets here, the staff has seen all they need to in order to offer him one of our three remaining schollies and I definitely will trust their judgement on this. It's hard for us to judge international kids because they just simply aren't nearly as well publicized as kids from the U.S. Rick has displayed a great sense of judgement on a number of international kids that have come through his system and I'm sure he was aiding Richard in this decision to offer. Welcome to the U Gaston!

If Beauty and the Beast taught me anything, it's that no one shoots like Gaston. Three cheers for Gaston!

Now that he's grown we need to start feeding him five dozen eggs so he can be roughly the size of a barge.

I'm excited about this. From his latest video, he looks really physical and is always trying to get to the rim (which is more than we can say about Buggs and King). I don't understand why some people are writing him off before he even gets here, the staff has seen all they need to in order to offer him one of our three remaining schollies and I definitely will trust their judgement on this. It's hard for us to judge international kids because they just simply aren't nearly as well publicized as kids from the U.S. Rick has displayed a great sense of judgement on a number of international kids that have come through his system and I'm sure he was aiding Richard in this decision to offer. Welcome to the U Gaston!

Becuase there are no stars next to his name ;)

Top Bottom