Gaston Diedhiou commits to Gophers

joshvanklomp

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Gaston Diedhiou, who is from Senegal, just verbally committed to Minnesota, per a source. Played for Canarias Baskeball Academy this year.</p>— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/statuses/454692747216445440">April 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is this a name that had ever come up before? Position? Is he a freshman for 2014 then? Always glad to get a new player though, welcome to the U!

"Gaston, welcome to Minnesota, let me show you where the weight room is." "Can I get you something to eat?"

As of 1 minute ago, I'm his first twitter follower.

Well then, that was definitely unexpected. Hopefully some more info regarding Gaston starts to become available.

Those Senegalians can jump good. Welcome aboard Gaston.

I'm hoping this is Gorgui Dieng, Part II (but it looks like this guy is a PF)

If Beauty and the Beast taught me anything, it's that no one shoots like Gaston. Three cheers for Gaston!

He moves like Buggs on the court. Kind of springs around. Looks like a major project.

edit: To be fair, that video was posted 2 years ago, so I have no idea what kind of player he is from that 6 minute highlight video.

"Gaston, welcome to Minnesota, let me show you where the weight room is." "Can I get you something to eat?"

Reminds of Charles Barkley's quote about some physical inside play during the Dream Team's game against Angola, "If somebody starts something in there, I'm going to give it back. I don't care if he looks like he hasn't eaten in a week."

So is he coming in as a freshman?

I'm not familiar with the esteemed Canarias Basketball Academy.

He'll fit in great with the NCAA. It looks like he goes to bed "starving" all the time! He and Napier will be best of pals.

He moves like Buggs on the court. Kind of springs around. Looks like a major project.

edit: To be fair, that video was posted 2 years ago, so I have no idea what kind of player he is from that 6 minute highlight video.

My thoughts exactly, based on that video.

per Scout:

Canarias Basketball Academy big man Gaston Diedhiou, who is originally from Senegal, pledged to Pitino and his staff, according to a source. He's expected to sign a Letter of Intent next week.

At 6-foot-9, 240-pounds, Diedhiou is known for his athleticism, ability to run the floor and his physical presence in the paint.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1392986.html

Go Gophers!!

Do we know for sure he is a scholarship player?

So is he coming in as a freshman?

I'm not familiar with the esteemed Canarias Basketball Academy.

The Maryland basketball program added a commitment from 7-foot Canarias Basketball Academy (Canary Islands, Na.) four-star power forward Michal Cekovsky.

Top Bottom