Video Highlights: Gophers Defeat North Dakota in Frozen Four with Last Second Goal

anybody else love how animated the ref got as he signaled the goal?

You see refs do that a lot when there is a goal that might be a close call for whatever reason (near the buzzer, just barely crossed the line and got pulled out). I think they do it to make sure they look confident because if they signal kind of wishy-washy, that invites people to try to say they were just guessing on a clsoe call. When the ref signals like this one did, he looks really sure of himself (and he was right).

That ending was just poetry that may never be duplicated. The Gopher penalty was close under any circumstances but in a frozen four late in the 3rd of a tie game, it was a call that most refs wouldn't make. Then to score short handed, with under a second left to win it? Absolute hockey heaven on Earth.

That ending was just poetry that may never be duplicated. The Gopher penalty was close under any circumstances but in a frozen four late in the 3rd of a tie game, it was a call that most refs wouldn't make. Then to score short handed, with under a second left to win it? Absolute hockey heaven on Earth.

I was talking with my buddy about that call right after it happened. I said that I was surprised that it was made in the circumstances you described, but that (ignoring my obvious desire that we never have a penalty called against us) I was glad they called it. Refs shouldn't adjust their calls based on which player is involved or what the game situation is. Reily used his free arm to hold the NoDak forward. Its a penalty two minutes into the first, it should also be a penalty with two minutes left in the third.

I was talking with my buddy about that call right after it happened. I said that I was surprised that it was made in the circumstances you described, but that (ignoring my obvious desire that we never have a penalty called against us) I was glad they called it. Refs shouldn't adjust their calls based on which player is involved or what the game situation is. Reily used his free arm to hold the NoDak forward. Its a penalty two minutes into the first, it should also be a penalty with two minutes left in the third.

Integrity of the sport. Can't find that in the NBA(see Wolves vs. Heat last week).

How about too many men on the ice? I'm a big believer that should be called when it happens.

I felt like the penalty on Reilly was a hose job. I believe in integrity, but you don't call a penalty like that, at that time in a tied game, with so much on the line, when you've overlooked several UND infractions up to that point.

I am the first to admit that I am a total homer. And I took a lot of heat for being critical of the officiating But when you have a hockey knowledgeable, and more importantly, impartial TV announcer pointing out how many times a team got hosed on calls, you feel like your disdain for the Refs was justified.

There is nothing more satisfying than to have your team win a game where you feel like you're getting seriously hosed by the officiating... especially a win against the Whioux!

And yes, I loved how he emphasized the goal. I didn't notice that until a couple of days later. He was a little bit like one of those traffic cops that puts some dance moves into his routine.

Anyone notice Rau after the goal goes in? Gives a jab to #24 of NoDak and appears to chirp him. I'm sure that was extra sweet for a guy like him.

Top Bottom