Chip Scoggins: A game — and a goal — unrivaled between Gophers and UND

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

These two teams just seem to bring out the best in each other. It’s been that way for decades. The fact that so much was at stake this time only increased the drama and made their emotions particularly raw afterward.

“I can’t say that I don’t like ending North Dakota’s season,” Condon said. “It makes it a little extra special because they are that close and they are our rivals.”

They’ve had some real doozies over the years, but No. 291 will stand the test of time because of its finish. Down to his last second, Justin Holl chose the only option available. He fired the puck toward the net and hoped for the best.

And something crazy happened.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/254848031.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Growing up in Minnesota from the age of 0 to 20 something ish, I was always lead to believe, by my father that Wisconsin is our rival in everything...which they are....but I took that to mean they are our "main" rival in everything. That thought process changed when I moved to Fargo at the age of 21. My friend, who's father was a Sioux season ticket holder and held three tickets for each game, was unable to make to make a game vs the Gophers, so he gave the tickets to his son. He invited me, as well as another Sioux fan. I went to the game, wearing my Gopher gear, and sat at those great season ticket holder seats (center ice, about row ten). The atmosphere was nuts. I expected that wearing Gopher gear, I would get some friendly razzing from the crowd...but it was not friendly at all. I had food thrown at me, threats shouted at me...and maybe, this could have been expected had I been sitting with the students, but the crowd I was sitting with was a family crowd, comprised mostly of adults in their mid 30's-50's, along with children. That is when I realized that the Sioux (or now the UND University of North Dakotas) are on the same level of Wisconsin. The Gophers went on to win that game, and the father of the friend who took me to that game banned his kid from getting his seats for two seasons based on him bringing a Gopher fan to the game. Since then, I have hated UND with as much passion as I hate Wisconsin with.

This was North Dakota's swan song. They will gradually drift off into the sunset, a mere shadow of their former self. The rivalry is a thing of the past.

Oh, and I think the Gophers played terribly. Out hustled, panicky blind passes to nowhere and very soft defense that let ND skate with the puck all over the zone. Very weak on the fundamentals of the game, which is a coaching problem. They were very lucky to win.

This was North Dakota's swan song. They will gradually drift off into the sunset, a mere shadow of their former self. The rivalry is a thing of the past.

Oh, and I think the Gophers played terribly. Out hustled, panicky blind passes to nowhere and very soft defense that let ND skate with the puck all over the zone. Very weak on the fundamentals of the game, which is a coaching problem. They were very lucky to win.

Happy Bubble Burst to you too.

Keep hearing the game opening chant in my head. Da da da da da Drop the Puck! Da da da da da Sioux Suck!

We played their game and did not open it up, as much as we did against JBSU. That can happen to the best coached teams. I don't think that you can look at that game and say that we "stole" it. It could've gone either way, but as the announcers said, the team who wanted it more would win, as that's what happens in playoff hockey.

I do agree that the rivalry will not be the same. As I said elsewhere, Big Ten Hockey will prove that they needed us more than we needed them.

Top Bottom