Why does everyone write off Joey King?

Joey worked really hard and I think he made a lot of progress this year. He has several limitations with quickness and athleticism. I think most should be able to admit that. But he over achieved, played smart and contributed much more than I expected. I hope he puts 15 pounds of muscle on and surprises us even more next season.

Joey king had a very nice year! He played better than expected by most. He will be a guy who plays around 20 minutes a game going forward. He works his tail off and does not hurt the team.

To the contrary, that is precisely what he is.

No that is the position he played for us. But for having the 4th most minutes played but only 6th in rebounds per game at that position (2.7) doesn't seem like the ideal fit for me. Throw in blocks per game - .3 a game - and you take the "power" out of power forward.

As I said earlier, I like Joey and he did a great job for the Gophs. But, if he is our primary player at the 4 for us, I think we are hurting on the defensive end.

1. Joey king may be listed as 6-9 225 but that doesnt mean he is that big and he definitely doesnt play that size. I have seen Payne listed as low as 225, so listed weight are never that accurate.
2.. King is a limited athlete and it's the reason he didn't have high offers even though he has skills.
3. King plays hard and most would prefer him being a 3pt shooter role player off the bench.
4. We need a phyisal presence on this team at the 4 to gather rebounds, set picks, and play defense especially considering how small we are on the perimeter.
5. Joey on the court with EE makes sense as EE strengths balance out Joeys weakness', as I would think the Hulk being a physical player and rebounder can balance out MO's weaknesses of defense and rebounding.

FACT

Joey King is the best PF we have on this team.

The rest is just noise.

FACT

Joey King is the best PF we have on this team.

The rest is just noise.

+1

We weren't a weak rebounding team with him as a starter, so why force someone in there to get 2 or 3 more rebounds a game.

1. Joey king may be listed as 6-9 225 but that doesnt mean he is that big and he definitely doesnt play that size. I have seen Payne listed as low as 225, so listed weight are never that accurate.
2.. King is a limited athlete and it's the reason he didn't have high offers even though he has skills.
3. King plays hard and most would prefer him being a 3pt shooter role player off the bench.
4. We need a phyisal presence on this team at the 4 to gather rebounds, set picks, and play defense especially considering how small we are on the perimeter.5. Joey on the court with EE makes sense as EE strengths balance out Joeys weakness', as I would think the Hulk being a physical player and rebounder can balance out MO's weaknesses of defense and rebounding.

You're right. With the system Pitino wants to run, an offense mirroring Billy Donovan at Florida, a player with the below skill set could never succeed and would never win games.

... best attribute however, is his outside shooting ability ... can make it rain from the outside if he is left open and given his size, he’s tough to guard on the perimeter.

... not overly athletic, so he’s limited to terms of his mobility on the perimeter, but he is the ideal pick and pop guy. ... can cause a number of mismatches based simply off that aspect of his game.

Strengths: ... greatest strengths are his size and his shooting ability and the good news in that is that the two combine to work well with one other. ... can step outside and hit the three ball and he has the ideal skill set for pick and roll or pick and pop scenarios.

Weaknesses: ... needs to expand his game more on the offensive end, despite his efficiency. It’d be great if he could consistently put the ball on the floor and attack the glass. ... needs to be more physical ... especially in terms of rebounding the basketball. ... may struggle against larger, more physical players in the paint and his quickness and athleticism aren’t good enough for him to consistently play on the perimeter.

Oh wait. That is the NBA Prospect Profile of former Florida starting PF Erik Murphy ...

Joey will be fine. He is only a sophomore. This idea, again, that you can't win without Julius Randle or Trevor Mbakwe is ridiculous.

Except that he's not one of the taller starting 4's. He's certainly not close to his listed height.

Obviously it matters somewhat, but it doesn't explain why Joey is one of the taller starting 4's but is not a good rebounder. Things like positioning, jumping ability and length are just as important as height.

Except that he's not one of the taller starting 4's. He's certainly not close to his listed height.

I think the U could raise a lot of money having a measuring day for players, specifically Joey and Josh Martin next year. Have a TV special. Like a boxing weigh in sort of thing.

95% of this board would watch and argue about if they should be allowed to wear shoes or not.

You could even include a weigh in and body fat pinch test. Maybe we could do it monthly so as to update the fans on each players season progress?

I've been a fan of a lot of various sports teams over the years, and I've never seen a fan base mercilessly trash its own coaches and players like the Gopher basketball fan base does. It's bizarre.

I've been a fan of a lot of various sports teams over the years, and I've never seen a fan base mercilessly trash its own coaches and players like the Gopher basketball fan base does. It's bizarre.
I agree. It's a lot more fun to trash you. Maybe we just like to trash talk.

So your comparing the 11th rated, per ESPN, power forward from the class of 2009, to a 2 star player from 2012 who signed with Drake? um ok. Highly skilled players who aren't the best athletes are all over college basketball, heck the mvp from Louisville last year Hancock was no athlete but quite the player. You can have a few people who are more skilled and less athletic, the problem comes in with what you have around them. Do you have a physical center like p. young at florida, do you have an athletic 6-6 or 6-7 sf who excells on defense? Except EE at center we are an undersized team at every position. So that further exaburates the lack of muscle at pf. Teams that have a skilled stretch 4 and are successful have plenty of other athletes to make up for the drop off in rebounding and defense.

You're right. With the system Pitino wants to run, an offense mirroring Billy Donovan at Florida, a player with the below skill set could never succeed and would never win games.

Oh wait. That is the NBA Prospect Profile of former Florida starting PF Erik Murphy ...

Joey will be fine. He is only a sophomore. This idea, again, that you can't win without Julius Randle or Trevor Mbakwe is ridiculous.

Why cant people be honest yet critical of any player on our team? Why are people so defensive about certain players. They seem untouchable. Most people of sound mind could take one look at our team and the system we are trying to run and tell it like it is. The vast majority of people on gopher hole are happy that king is here. Where would we have been at pf with Oto playing 40 min a game. Yet at the same time can we not say that if we had a physical presence at the 4 who could hit the glass, set picks, and body up on defense our team would be improved? We don't have the athletes nor the size at the c and sf spot to have an unathletic pf playing major minutes if we are ever to be a consistent top 25 type team. Am I calling King horrible, am i telling him to transfer, this issue is one of many. Can King still be a nice scorer off the bench on a team like that...of course.

So your comparing the 11th rated, per ESPN, power forward from the class of 2009, to a 2 star player from 2012 who signed with Drake? um ok. Highly skilled players who aren't the best athletes are all over college basketball, heck the mvp from Louisville last year Hancock was no athlete but quite the player. You can have a few people who are more skilled and less athletic, the problem comes in with what you have around them. Do you have a physical center like p. young at florida, do you have an athletic 6-6 or 6-7 sf who excells on defense? Except EE at center we are an undersized team at every position. So that further exaburates the lack of muscle at pf. Teams that have a skilled stretch 4 and are successful have plenty of other athletes to make up for the drop off in rebounding and defense.

So why is the problem our stretch 4 and not the lack of athleticism around him?

Your right lets upgrade the other 4 positions so we can play a stretch 4. That is the more reasonable response.

Your right lets upgrade the other 4 positions so we can play a stretch 4. That is the more reasonable response.

Which would you say is more crucial to the Pitino/Florda/UL system? A physical, Mbakwe like PF or athletic wings who can press and defend?

Just trying to figure out the constant hate for King. Hasn't even been here a full year and has 2 threads with people focussing on how bad he apparently is.

Short arms
Not really 6'-9"
Slow on D
Slow Release
Cannot create his own shot
Lacks strength
Poor dribbler
Can’t jump
No athleticism
Can shoot, but only if WIDE open
Not a B1G PF
Big noggin
Small frame
Twig legs

What else am I missing?

For all those deficiencies it has to be a miracle what he was able to do on the court this season. A modern day "Rudy" Ruettiger!

Beady-eyes.
Bad haircut.

Just trying to figure out the constant hate for King

Who knows. All the guy does if work his ass off, be productive and IMO overachieve. Good reason to bi*ch about a local Gopher.

This thread is becoming insane. Joey King is a productive player who made us a FAR better team this year than we would have been without him. The same will be true next year. In addition, I love his attitude, toughness, and he's a local kid.

Mo had the highest FG% in the conference this year. Did that have anything to do with Joey's defender not being able to help much, because Joey WILL knock down a wide open 3? It's pretty nice to have a 4 that can shoot.

In addition, I love his attitude, toughness, and he's a local kid.

I agree with your fondness for his first two attributes. As for the third, I could care less. I don't care where a kid is from. I would rather watch a kid from Turkey who can play than a kid from Lakeville who can't. I suspected that a lot of the fierce rhetorical loyalty displayed towards JK's status on this team is driven my a misplaced fondness for ones origins. "He's white and he's from Minnesota. Just like me!"

Having said that, I do like the kid and hope he has a good career here. I just think the team could do better finding another starting power forward who is better suited to its competitive environment.

I agree with your fondness for his first two attributes. As for the third, I could care less. I don't care where a kid is from.

You are certainly entitled to your view. I, and others here, do not share that view. I take pride in Joey King and any other Minnesotan that puts on the uniform and represents his home state university. I understand we need guys from outside here and, without question, some, if not most, of our all-time best players have come from outside the state. But I want some Minnesotans on the team too, if they can play.

And Joey King can play.

Just my opinion.

You are certainly entitled to your view. I, and others here, do not share that view. I take pride in Joey King and any other Minnesotan that puts on the uniform and represents his home state university. I understand we need guys from outside here and, without question, some, if not most, of our all-time best players have come from outside the state. But I want some Minnesotans on the team too, if they can play.

And Joey King can play.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is shared by many commentors, and argued against by many commentors, which makes for lots of discussion but also results in numerous concussions brought on by severe and over reacted headshakes.

Your opinion is shared by many commentors, and argued against by many commentors, which makes for lots of discussion but also results in numerous concussions brought on by severe and over reacted headshakes.

One more thing, I am not interested in winning-at-all-costs. What goes on at Kentucky does not interest me. I do not want to cheer for mercenaries. I took a lot of flack on another thread about this next thing, but I also am not too interested in cheering for guys that can barely spell their own name. Hammer away, if you want, but that's how I feel.

And Joey King can play.

Just my opinion.
I always say as long as the kid can play bring him in. Fortunately for both parties involved I can think of four Minnesotans that I would take for sure and a couple more that I wouldn't mind in next years class. The 2016 and 2017 classes seem like they'll have a couple guys as well that can play

Top Bottom