Baseball Recruits- Red Wing Cousins

CarterAveKing

Reaction score
I read another article today in the Rochester paper about the Red Wing cousins playing for Neb. and again, there's a mention of the Gophers "not even recruiting them". I understand doing a piece occasionally on local athletes playing DI ball around the country, but the continuing slight to the Gophers is annoying. Can anyone tell me the history on why Pat Kelly went to Neb. first? Or at least fill me in on the silly claim that the Gophers didn't recruit him. I'm guessing Boldt saw a little extra appeal to play with his cousin this year, but the Gophers had to show some interest?!

Pat Kelly's dad, Jim, played football at Nebraska. Not sure but I think he blew out his knee, shortening his career. After his college years Jim (aka Brutus) was a prolific DH for the Red Wing Aces amateur baseball team in the 80s, a traditional state power at that time.

I have no idea if the U recruited Pat, but that might help explain Pat's interest in becoming a Cornhusker. Pat's a heck of a player. He was outstanding in the Big Ten Tournament @ Target Field last year.

I read another article today in the Rochester paper about the Red Wing cousins playing for Neb. and again, there's a mention of the Gophers "not even recruiting them". I understand doing a piece occasionally on local athletes playing DI ball around the country, but the continuing slight to the Gophers is annoying. Can anyone tell me the history on why Pat Kelly went to Neb. first? Or at least fill me in on the silly claim that the Gophers didn't recruit him. I'm guessing Boldt saw a little extra appeal to play with his cousin this year, but the Gophers had to show some interest?!
I thought the Gophers were interested in both of them but knew especially Kelly was a heavy Nebraska lean. When he committed I thought it said he even also considered the Gophers but Nebraska's facilities and the history really pushed them over the top. As for Boldt I think he committed to Nebraska a lot based on his cousin being there and committed pretty early but most felt he would sign with an MLB team and probably the only reason he actually ended up at Nebraska was because Boldt suffered an injury last high school season and missed most of it which pushed his draft stock down and out of the first round.

Thanks for the info. The puts things in a bit more perspective. I did read about Boldt's draft stock dropping with his injury. Hope the Gophs sweep the weekend.

When Kelly committed to the Huskers, they were in the Big 12, great baseball conference. That is where he wanted to play with more competition, then the Huskers switched to the B1G.

Top Bottom