NIT TV ratings

Was speaking of the local ratings only. I'm sure certain games still do well, but being highest rated on BTN does not mean a huge local #.

I haven't seen the cable/sat. #'s in a few years, but I'd be surprised if it's gone up given the cord-cutting trend of the past few years.

When Gopher hoops are on BTN, it is usually the top-rated cable show locally for that evening. Certainly, not the share that WCCO or MSC once did, but in relative terms to today, the Gophers are still an attractive basketball television draw.

Yeah, you haven't lived here in awhile. He had outright disgust for Tubby for the last 3-4 years, and was embarrassingly going out of his way to downplay the NIT title this week. He was taking his usual cheap shots about it all. I'm not saying some of his ridicule is unjustified, just he is almost always taking the negative angle and taking shots at the Gopher rubes. But, Lou Nanne comes on and not a word.
for real? that's disappointing.. isn't the "NIT championship is worthless" bit getting kinda old? figured he would have learned that by now

Yeah, you haven't lived here in awhile. He had outright disgust for Tubby for the last 3-4 years, and was embarrassingly going out of his way to downplay the NIT title this week. He was taking his usual cheap shots about it all. I'm not saying some of his ridicule is unjustified, just he is almost always taking the negative angle and taking shots at the Gopher rubes. But, Lou Nanne comes on and not a word.

Then why listen to him at all? I haven't listened to that station in years (except for the very rare time listening to Gopher/Viking football if I'm running late or an errand). KFAN provides nothing to the sports landscape unless you want to live and breathe Vikings 24/7/365.

The funny thing about Barriero is the second someone on the air disagrees with him he backs off like the pussy he truly is

What he does is generally kiss the ass of guests but belittles callers. If any of his callers said some of the things his guests say, he'd cut them off and scream at them.

He's found his perfect home on radio. The flaws that got him basically exiled from the newspaper business serve him perfectly on the radio, where being repetitive and shallow sells.

I especially like it when Lou Nanne does this to him. Barriero, who basically hates anyone who might show an ounce of favoritism to the local teams, fawns all Louie, who is the biggest homer of them all. Barriero will rip the Gophers or the Wild for ten minutes, then get Louie on the show, and Lou basically says exactly the opposite of what Barriero was ranting about ten minutes before his guest appearance, and Barriero is too much of a wimp to challenge Louie. He just backs down like a school girl. Barriero basically lets Louie run him over. Mr. Tough Guy until the Great Lou Nanne shows up, then its beat down time. "Oh yes, you're right Louie. Whatever you say Louie. Thanks for spending some time with us Louie. Can I get you some coffee and donuts, Mr. Nanne?"

Is this intended to be hyperbole? The statement is certainly not accurate.

Nadine tweeted a link that mentioned Doogie. I imagine Darren saw the comment because Nadine linked to it. I doubt most media members regularly read this place.

I certainly hope the players are told to stay far far away, lol.

I don't know about most media members but Doogie has (or did have) an account on here and has posted in the past.

Some football players definitely read here as well but they don't post.

Yeah, I wasn't taking a shot at Doogie. He does a fine job. For example, Barrerio had Kenny Smith on the show on Friday. He tried to bait Smith into emphasizing his point that that the NIT was meaningless by asking him if there was any reason at all to celebrate an NIT championship. Smith came back that it was certainly a feat worthy of praise, and mentioned how oftentimes NIT success carries over to the NCAAs the next year.

I understand that for the fans of a team that plays in The Garden or wins the NIT tend to believe it has meaning. Sometines a run in the NIT it does carry over to the follwing season but the NIT is overall meaningless.

If it had any real significance attendance for the NIT FInal would be a whole lot better than 6000.

I understand that for the fans of a team that plays in The Garden or wins the NIT tend to believe it has meaning. Sometines a run in the NIT it does carry over to the follwing season but the NIT is overall meaningless.

If it had any real significance attendance for the NIT Final would be a whole lot better than 6000.
attendance is unbelievably overrated. It was a neutral site game nowhere near Dallas or Minneapolis. We're talking about more than a million people watching it on TV. Whether the attendance is 6,000 or 17,000 is small potatoes compared to the difference between poor TV ratings and the kind of ratings the NIT final four got this year.

attendance is unbelievably overrated. It was a neutral site game nowhere near Dallas or Minneapolis. We're talking about more than a million people watching it on TV. Whether the attendance is 6,000 or 17,000 is small potatoes compared to the difference between poor TV ratings and the kind of ratings the NIT final four got this year.

Could be any of a number reasons why the TV numbers were good. That doesn't mean the NIT has any real significance.

When the Gophers beat #1 Indiana and the school made a commemorative print to sell, he just about had an embolism. He was still talking about it a couple months ago when I stopped listening to him.

Could be any of a number reasons why the TV numbers were good. That doesn't mean the NIT has any real significance.
Let me spell it out for you. Anytime you win games when a million people are watching, it is SIGNIFICANT.

When the Gophers beat #1 Indiana and the school made a commemorative print to sell, he just about had an embolism. He was still talking about it a couple months ago when I stopped listening to him.

He is so far from the perspective of the athletes, the coaches or the fans...it's actually hard to understand just what perspective he represents other than just his own. He's one of these people who thinks he the only normal person and the rest of the 6 billion on the planet are the abnormal ones.

If it had any real significance attendance for the NIT FInal would be a whole lot better than 6000.
You say it isn't. Kenny Smith, who played college basketball at the highest level, at one of the upper echelon programs, says it matters. Of course, he has a ton to gain, as he is employed by the network that airs the tournament. Oh, wait. He works for a direct competitor.

You say it isn't. Kenny Smith, who played college basketball at the highest level, at one of the upper echelon programs, says it matters. Of course, he has a ton to gain, as he is employed by the network that airs the tournament. Oh, wait. He works for a direct competitor.

To be fair, Smith used Stanford as his NIT springboard example, saying that Stanford won the NIT last year, then made the Sweet 16 this year.

However, Stanford won the NIT in 2012 (not last year), then failed the make the NCAA tournament the following year (2013).

Didn't Wichita State win it the year before they went to the Final Four? Baylor won last year went to the sweet 16.

That settles it. Kenny Smith says the NIT matters.

That settles it. Kenny Smith says the NIT matters.

Still waiting for your first positive post about anything Gophers on this board. Might as well be an eternity, right? Maybe you cheer for the wrong team, as all you do is belittle the Gophers and praise Wisconsin.

Wait...

Still waiting for your first positive post about anything Gophers on this board. Might as well be an eternity, right? Maybe you cheer for the wrong team, as all you do is belittle the Gophers and praise Wisconsin.

Wait...

Another one of your whining paranoid about Wisconsin post. Do you have anything else?

But you got me. Can't fool you.

NIT finals blows Frozen Four ratings out:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>-No. Dak. local TV rating: 6.0. Peak 9.6. Bottom-line: Very respectable - double normal Wild game - but not real close to Gophs-SMU.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/454689008618979328">April 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>-No. Dak. local TV rating: 6.0. Peak 9.6. Bottom-line: Very respectable - double normal Wild game - but not real close to Gophs-SMU.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/454689008618979328">April 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!
This kind of thing is hard to explain to the Hockey die-hards who hate hoops and have championed Hockey as the #1 sport in Minnesota.

This kind of thing is hard to explain to the Hockey die-hards who hate hoops and have championed Hockey as the #1 sport in Minnesota.

But... But.... This wasn't the FINALS. Just wait till Saturday!!1!!11!!!!!!!

Seriously though. Soccer sells more tickets. I think this argument needs to be put to rest.

Go Gophers!!

...but the local media continues to pimp all the pro sports. Sure, that's where the money is, but what about their customers - the listeners and viewers?

Last night was the first time I've watched more than 5 minutes of a Gopher hockey game this year. I have yet to watch that much of a Wild game, but will watch some of the play-offs. I don't think I'm alone in that category.

Last night was the first time I've watched more than 5 minutes of a Gopher hockey game this year. I have yet to watch that much of a Wild game, but will watch some of the play-offs. I don't think I'm alone in that category.

Same.

Love hockey and it was my favorite sport to play growing up. But I've always really struggled to watch it on tv.

I think I've spent more hours watching my dad's old VCR North Stars fight tapes than live NHL games lol.

Same.

Love hockey and it was my favorite sport to play growing up. But I've always really struggled to watch it on tv.

I think I've spent more hours watching my dad's old VCR North Stars fight tapes than live NHL games lol.

I started to get into the North Stars the year they made the Finals, even listening to most of the games on the radio since we didn't get them on TV. Of course they moved away the next year. Might have something to do with why I can't get that into the Wild...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson">@DarrenWolfson</a> State of ...</p>— Patrick Donnelly (@donnelly612) <a href="https://twitter.com/donnelly612/statuses/457183403314405376">April 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson">@DarrenWolfson</a> State of ...</p>— Patrick Donnelly (@donnelly612) <a href="https://twitter.com/donnelly612/statuses/457183403314405376">April 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
Doogie did say when the final numbers come in the Wild ratings have a chance to be higher too but most casual viewers are far more likely to watch basketball over hockey. Gophers game being on ESPN in this situation and the Wild on FSN probably helps in this case too as a casual sports fan would be more likely to turn on ESPN and keep it there rather than FSN. I played hockey growing up and love hockey. I watch college and NHL whenever its on TV and watch a lot of college basketball on TV including every Gopher game that is on and enjoy all of them. The NBA is really the league I have hard time watching and will rarely watch especially during the regular season.

Doogie did say when the final numbers come in the Wild ratings have a chance to be higher too but most casual viewers are far more likely to watch basketball over hockey. Gophers game being on ESPN in this situation and the Wild on FSN probably helps in this case too as a casual sports fan would be more likely to turn on ESPN and keep it there rather than FSN. I played hockey growing up and love hockey. I watch college and NHL whenever its on TV and watch a lot of college basketball on TV including every Gopher game that is on and enjoy all of them. The NBA is really the league I have hard time watching and will rarely watch especially during the regular season.
Don't they have an equal chance to be lower when the final numbers come out? Calling Minnesota the "State of Hockey" and implying it is more popular than hoops is like calling Minnesota the "State of Lutefisk". Sure we have people who eat it, but most of us would rather eat something else.

When it comes to hockey in this state compared to other states, yes we would be the state of hockey, but hockey still ranks the same here as it does in the rest of the country compared to other sports. Wish hockey heads would realize that, its embarrassing talking to my out of state friends about how dinkytown turns into call of duty because of a championship hockey game that barley gets a blurb on the espn website. (though most of them were just drunk idiots who don't even care for hockey , just looking for excuse to act stupid)

Top Bottom