NIT TV ratings

AO54

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just got <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>-SMU local TV ratings. Holy bleep! Peaked at a 13 rating. For comparison: 10p SportsCenter normally does a 0.1 rating.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/453205949738520576">April 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fewer people locally watched the Badgers in the final four.

As another comparison, the Wild games on FS North are averaging a 2.98 rating, which marks the highest local rating since the 2008-09 season.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/02/24/Media/NHL-ratings.aspx

Holy bleep is right! Glad to see the Gophers have some broad appeal. It's a sleeping giant, I tell you.

Hopefully this is right. But it is Doogie, he may have missed a decimal point.

If people are like me, I take in as much CBB as I can in March/April because it's all coming to a sad end. That's the only game on that night, so I can see the appeal.

Seems like a good investment for ESPN.

Yep. I'm not so surprised really. It's was on ESPN2 (a standard for sports bars and similar venues), it was one of the last college basketball games of the year, and it had little competition from other sporting events. Also, it was on a Thursday night as opposed to a Saturday evening/night when many people are out doing other things.

Hopefully this is right. But it is Doogie, he may have missed a decimal point.

You're on the hit list.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/NadineBabu">@NadineBabu</a> Thanks for note. Tell the random on GH I didn't miss a decimal point. Final rating: 8.9. Peak 13. Wis.-Kent. little less peak.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/453253385714552832">April 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

You're on the hit list.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/NadineBabu">@NadineBabu</a> Thanks for note. Tell the random on GH I didn't miss a decimal point. Final rating: 8.9. Peak 13. Wis.-Kent. little less peak.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/453253385714552832">April 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

An 8.9 average is very respectable share, but as an overall rating? That is awesome.

Huh. Further proof that the majority of people in this town that get paid to follow sports have their heads stuck firmly in the sand...or up their backside.

Huh. Further proof that the majority of people in this town that get paid to follow sports have their heads stuck firmly in the sand...or up their backside.

And yet Amelia continues to write Badgers stories claiming it is big news here in the TC. Yup. That's why an NIT game featuring the Gophers puts up better numbers than a Badgers final four game.

I don't understand what this comment has to do with anything. I appreciated Doogie's note on the ratings, and its very normal for fans, media members, players, coaches, recruits, etc. to read this board.

Go Gophers!!

yep, don't care that media and others read this board at all, actually like it because gives them an idea what the fans care about, only thing I don't like is when they write stories based on things we speculate about, like when we were talking about the possibility of mack leaving Xavier and JP maybe decommiting, few days later there was a story about that by one of the local writers. Not sure how you can be upset about Doogie, haven't seen him steal things from here, its not like he got those ratings from here. I may be in the Minority, but I think Doogie is one of the better scoops guys locally.

And yet Amelia continues to write Badgers stories claiming it is big news here in the TC. Yup. That's why an NIT game featuring the Gophers puts up better numbers than a Badgers final four game.
The final four is a bigger story than the Wild according to the ratings. There's plenty of room in the newspaper to cover a whole bunch of sports. No need to be upset now that the Badgers have lost.

yep, don't care that media and others read this board at all, actually like it because gives them an idea what the fans care about, only thing I don't like is when they write stories based on things we speculate about, like when we were talking about the possibility of mack leaving Xavier and JP maybe decommiting, few days later there was a story about that by one of the local writers. Not sure how you can be upset about Doogie, haven't seen him steal things from here, its not like he got those ratings from here. I may be in the Minority, but I think Doogie is one of the better scoops guys locally.

Not a bad guy and pretty good about respectfully engaging his critics who are numerous here. He tosses too much mud for my taste. He may get scoops, but what is in the scoop might stink and may not be true. You are right that he is not using us as experts to create stories, which says something about his work ethic. Seems kind of cheap to recycle internet bar room chatter into a real news story, but I guess that is where media is in the 21st Century. Doogie should be congratulated for not doing that when there might be great temptaion to do so.

8.9? Is that really high or is it just me? What was last year's NIT championship game?

'Huh. Further proof that the majority of people in this town that get paid to follow sports have their heads stuck firmly in the sand...or up their backside.'

I don't understand what this comment has to do with anything. I appreciated Doogie's note on the ratings, and its very normal for fans, media members, players, coaches, recruits, etc. to read this board.

Go Gophers!!

I read it as complaining that the media wrote off the gophers as a non-story when the NIT rolled around, but from the tv ratings, it is at least of some interest to people. So I think its a comment on the media misunderstanding what people care about.

I'm interested in the national numbers. Doogie?

I read it as complaining that the media wrote off the gophers as a non-story when the NIT rolled around, but from the tv ratings, it is at least of some interest to people. So I think its a comment on the media misunderstanding what people care about.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Duly noted.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Nadine tweeted a link that mentioned Doogie. I imagine Darren saw the comment because Nadine linked to it. I doubt most media members regularly read this place.

I certainly hope the players are told to stay far far away, lol.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Duly noted.

Go Gophers!!
Yeah, I wasn't taking a shot at Doogie. He does a fine job. For example, Barrerio had Kenny Smith on the show on Friday. He tried to bait Smith into emphasizing his point that that the NIT was meaningless by asking him if there was any reason at all to celebrate an NIT championship. Smith came back that it was certainly a feat worthy of praise, and mentioned how oftentimes NIT success carries over to the NCAAs the next year.

This is not surprising. Back when the games were routinely on WCCO, Gopher basketball would get huge ratings behind only the Vikings and Twins and good #'s on MSC. They've never been great on BTN, but imagine that's a penetration issue, since ~30% of MSP households don't have cable/satellite and even more don't have BTN.

Yep. I'm not so surprised really. It's was on ESPN2 (a standard for sports bars and similar venues), it was one of the last college basketball games of the year, and it had little competition from other sporting events. Also, it was on a Thursday night as opposed to a Saturday evening/night when many people are out doing other things.

It was on ESPN. Not ESPN2.

Yeah, I wasn't taking a shot at Doogie. He does a fine job. For example, Barrerio had Kenny Smith on the show on Friday. He tried to bait Smith into emphasizing his point that that the NIT was meaningless by asking him if there was any reason at all to celebrate an NIT championship. Smith came back that it was certainly a feat worthy of praise, and mentioned how oftentimes NIT success carries over to the NCAAs the next year.
The funny thing about Barriero is the second someone on the air disagrees with him he backs off like the pussy he truly is

They've never been great on BTN, but imagine that's a penetration issue, since ~30% of MSP households don't have cable/satellite and even more don't have BTN.

Actually, the Indiana-Minnesota game at Indiana in 2013 was the highest rated college basketball game ever on BTN (or at least it was after it aired). And, the Minnesota-Wisconsin this past year was the highest rated Wednesday night basketball game in BTN history.

And, I think MSP is above 80% with cable or satellite now.

The funny thing about Barriero is the second someone on the air disagrees with him he backs off like the pussy he truly is

I especially like it when Lou Nanne does this to him. Barriero, who basically hates anyone who might show an ounce of favoritism to the local teams, fawns all Louie, who is the biggest homer of them all. Barriero will rip the Gophers or the Wild for ten minutes, then get Louie on the show, and Lou basically says exactly the opposite of what Barriero was ranting about ten minutes before his guest appearance, and Barriero is too much of a wimp to challenge Louie. He just backs down like a school girl. Barriero basically lets Louie run him over. Mr. Tough Guy until the Great Lou Nanne shows up, then its beat down time. "Oh yes, you're right Louie. Whatever you say Louie. Thanks for spending some time with us Louie. Can I get you some coffee and donuts, Mr. Nanne?"

Actually, the Indiana-Minnesota game at Indiana in 2013 was the highest rated college basketball game ever on BTN. And, the Minnesota-Wisconsin this past year was the highest rated Wednesday night basketball game in BTN history.

And, I think MSP is above 80% with cable or satellite now.

Was speaking of the local ratings only. I'm sure certain games still do well, but being highest rated on BTN does not mean a huge local #.

I haven't seen the cable/sat. #'s in a few years, but I'd be surprised if it's gone up given the cord-cutting trend of the past few years.

I especially like it when Lou Nanne does this to him. Barriero, who basically hates anyone who might show an ounce of favoritism to the local teams, fawns all Louie, who is the biggest homer of them all. Barriero will rip the Gophers or the Wild for ten minutes, then get Louie on the show, and Lou basically says exactly the opposite of what Barriero was ranting about ten minutes before his guest appearance, and Barriero is too much of a wimp to challenge Louie. He just backs down like a school girl. Barriero basically lets Louie run him over. Mr. Tough Guy until the Great Lou Nanne shows up, then its beat down time. "Oh yes, you're right Louie. Whatever you say Louie. Thanks for spending some time with us Louie. Can I get you some coffee and donuts, Mr. Nanne?"
I don't live in MN anymore so I don't get the chance to listen to KFAN as much as I used to (I still podcast sometimes when I work out), but I think you are exaggerating Barriero's hate. Especially when it comes to Gophers basketball. It seems like the U's BBall team is the only sports team in the state he doesn't ridicule

I don't live in MN anymore so I don't get the chance to listen to KFAN as much as I used to (I still podcast sometimes when I work out), but I think you are exaggerating Barriero's hate. Especially when it comes to Gophers basketball. It seems like the U's BBall team is the only sports team in the state he doesn't ridicule

Yeah, you haven't lived here in awhile. He had outright disgust for Tubby for the last 3-4 years, and was embarrassingly going out of his way to downplay the NIT title this week. He was taking his usual cheap shots about it all. I'm not saying some of his ridicule is unjustified, just he is almost always taking the negative angle and taking shots at the Gopher rubes. But, Lou Nanne comes on and not a word.

Top Bottom