Ron Edwards column suggests U doesn't treat black coaches well, cites Clem and Tubby

So now we're down to defending utter tripe with more utter tripe.

The duty is to inform (failed miserably), enlighten (whom is he enlightening since his facts are wrong?), delight (I'm sure everybody was delighted with his characterization of the school as racist), or enrage (full marks on this for Mr. Edwards).

The bottom line? This column was so full of holes it can't be defended. Perhaps the op-ed writer should review the relevant facts. Once that is done, he can assess how unfairly Haskins and Tubby were treated.

It's obvious Edwards did not. Either that, or he simply tried to mislead the readers as to what really went on with both Haskins and Tubby while they were at the U.

The original piece was the epitome of shoddy journalism. There's no defending it. The mere fact that they're even trying is appalling.

Brain Trust, at what point will you stop posting on here? Seriously, all you ever post about is Tubby. There has to be some sort of expiration date. We all know you think he was arguably the greatest coach in Minnesota history. None of us agree, so can't we just agree to disagree and move on?

So now we're down to defending utter tripe with more utter tripe.

The duty is to inform (failed miserably), enlighten (whom is he enlightening since his facts are wrong?), delight (I'm sure everybody was delighted with his characterization of the school as racist), or enrage (full marks on this for Mr. Edwards).

The bottom line? This column was so full of holes it can't be defended. Perhaps the op-ed writer should review the relevant facts. Once that is done, he can assess how unfairly Haskins and Tubby were treated.

It's obvious Edwards did not. Either that, or he simply tried to mislead the readers as to what really went on with both Haskins and Tubby while they were at the U.

The original piece was the epitome of shoddy journalism. There's no defending it. The mere fact that they're even trying is appalling.

The article by Charles Hallman(nitwit moniker?) appears to be nothing more than a continuation of the Edwards piece which might well be titled It ain't fair. Initially, his comparison of MSR to GopherHole seemed like a false equivalence, but after re-reading both opinion pieces, I have to conclude that similarly, both GH and MSR are places where persons who otherwise could not get published, go to get published.

Op-ed on this thread:

Gopher fans’ website doesn’t play fair

It’s unfortunate that many readers on that site totally missed Edwards’ main points: Black coaches, whether in Minnesota or elsewhere, are unfairly held to double standards unlike their White counterparts, and many U of M Black players left the school with bad tastes in their mouths.

It’s also unfortunate that the Hole readers don’t know a columnist’s role, which is to express an opinion, either to inform, enlighten, delight or enrage the reader.

There’s nothing wrong with the Hole followers seeing things only through maroon and gold-colored glasses. But instead of these readers being civil with their counter-arguments, they are insulting and racist. Their profanity-laced rants are childlike and show remedial-level English proficiency.

There is nothing wrong with being passionate about a particular team or school. What bothers me is not what Edwards said, or even if I agree with him or not, but that people respond to him as cowardly word assassins. Edwards proudly uses his name each week in his columns and doesn’t hide behind some nitwit moniker. The person or persons who respond should be man or woman enough to use their real names whether they agree or disagree with him.

That is being fair and balanced. Anything else is totally unacceptable.

http://www.spokesman-recorder.com/2014/04/09/gopher-fans-website-doesnt-play-fair/

Go Gophers!!

Here's the problem - Edwards did such a shoddy job of writing, that he should be utterly ashamed of himself to add his name to that piece. That writing is not only a gross insult to the University of Minnesota, who compared to other large universities nationwide (and sports entities, in general) has been extremely receptive of black coaches and athletes; but it should be a gross insult to the black community that he so clearly tries to misinform his reader to make his point.

Those that lie and misinform should very much be chastised. Edwards wrote a terrible piece, and deserves the negative response he received.

Op-ed on this thread:

Gopher fans’ website doesn’t play fair

It’s unfortunate that many readers on that site totally missed Edwards’ main points: Black coaches, whether in Minnesota or elsewhere, are unfairly held to double standards unlike their White counterparts,

No I don't think many missed this point. It's just that many disagree with the whole premise of the article.

and many U of M Black players left the school with bad tastes in their mouths.

Is this something new or is he talking about the 70's? Cobbs, Joseph, and White all transferred under a black coach. There are many former black athletes that embrace the U like Darrell Thompson, Tyrone Carter, Wheelwright, Bobby Jackson, Al Nolen, and Damien Johnson just to name a few. Maybe we're wrong, but unless there is some solid evidence, I don't see a whole of players leaving school "with bad tastes" as indicated here. And some of the most popular MN athletes of the past 30 years are black: Puckett, Peterson, and Garnett. Minnesotans and the media are not afraid to rip on Mauer, a white hometown guy. I guess that gets missed when writing these type of articles.

It’s also unfortunate that the Hole readers don’t know a columnist’s role, which is to express an opinion, either to inform, enlighten, delight or enrage the reader.

Kinda like some in the media don't understand what a message board is for. It's obvious many people don't agree with his opinion because many feel it was ill-informed. This was the same site that wrote a story last year about the Twins getting rid of black outfielder Ben Revere, but failed to even mention that the guy who replaced him was Aaron Hicks, a black man.

But instead of these readers being civil with their counter-arguments, they are insulting and racist. Their profanity-laced rants are childlike and show remedial-level English proficiency.

No doubt there are people who are probably over the top, but I don't think it is a whole lot different than someone who claims everything is racist too. And saying something like "in one of the most cowardly displays in big-time sports" when talking about Tubby's firing is just way, way over the top.

There is nothing wrong with being passionate about a particular team or school. What bothers me is not what Edwards said, or even if I agree with him or not, but that people respond to him as cowardly word assassins. Edwards proudly uses his name each week in his columns and doesn’t hide behind some nitwit moniker. The person or persons who respond should be man or woman enough to use their real names whether they agree or disagree with him.

That is being fair and balanced. Anything else is totally unacceptable.

I've always found these type of comments ridiculous. I think Doogie may have said the same thing while on here. This is their job, it isn't because they're so brave compared to everyone else. What does it matter if I give my name or not? If I do, will they seek me out and try to meet my in person? I don't get how that makes my opinion less meaningful.

I'd gladly meet up with Edwards to talk about this topic, but that is never, ever going to happen. I just don't get why it matter.

They should be thanking us, this might be the most attention they've ever gotten or will ever get. They seem to be taking the write crap, sling it against the wall and see what sticks strategy and it's working for them.

Top Bottom