Ron Edwards column suggests U doesn't treat black coaches well, cites Clem and Tubby

Racist is probably the wrong term. What the man is trying to do is incite racial conflict into a society that already has too much by telling blatant lies to make a situation that has nothing to do with race seem like it is. That makes him no better than a racist.

This summarizes it perfectly. Seems that anytime a black coach is fired, it's a case of racism, at least according to Edwards. So if he's not racist, he's a classic race-baiter, which is no better. Unfortunately for him, he's been shown to be an out-and-out liar in this case and has been called out on it.

Racist is probably the wrong term. What the man is trying to do is incite racial conflict into a society that already has too much by telling blatant lies to make a situation that has nothing to do with race seem like it is. That makes him no better than a racist.

Most well-spoken and thoughtful post I've read in a while. Very well said.

This thread gives Edwards too much attention. It was a stupid article.

What's very interesting is that he completely ignores the fact that two of the last four mens basketball coaches were African American. How many other programs are that diverse?

Coach Smith went deep into the tournament last year, losing only in the third round, the “Sweet 16,” three games from the championship. Next day: fired.

Tubby didn't lose in the Sweet 16.... nor were we three games away from a championship....

Pretty stupid but I enjoy picking apart all the things wrong and ridiculous about this.

And then there was Clem Haskins, brought here to rejuvenate and breathe life back into UM men’s basketball

Isn't that what most coaches are brought in to do? And doesn't the fact that Minnesota showed confidence in him to do this indicate anything but racism?

also forced out.

Which would have happened at virtually every other program in the country.

When Lou Holtz left he told Clem that these folks don’t want a winning program — football or basketball — if Blacks are given starting and star roles. And soon, Clem Haskins was sent on his way.

That doesn't even make sense. If that's the case why was Haskins and Tubby hired in the first place? Also, Lou Holtz left MN in 1985. Clem was "sent on his way" in 1999. Not sure how 14 years = soon. I'm assuming this comment from Holtz can't be proven or is probably reworded by this "writer".

Little has changed. A decade later, when Tubby Smith came here from Kentucky and turned around a basketball program that had fallen on hard times, he too, despite winning, was told to move on (in one of the most cowardly displays in big-time sports).

The first couple of years were good, but I don't consider going 20-32 in the Big Ten in years 4-6 "winning". I've got to believe even the biggest Tubby fans think the line in quotations is so ridiculous, it's laughable.

Tubby’s replacement was not negatively critiqued by the White media

He's not even done with his first year. Tubby was widely praised for his great work in year one. If we go 20-32 in the Big Ten in Pitino's 4th-6th years, then he will get criticized just as much.

I think this is the same guy who criticized the Twins for getting rid of Revere, saying they did it solely because he was black. Of course, he never mentioned the fact that the guy replacing him, Aaron Hicks, is black. Mentioning that would mess up his agenda. Seriously, if I didn't know any better, I'd think this article was from The Onion.

Saw this thread while watching the game. The huge irony here is that both Clem and later Tubby complained that the local Black Community leaders refused to help them at the University. Clem took some heat from those same leaders who complained that Haskins refused to give local players a "fair shake" in recruiting. Not sure how Tubby faired in that regard.

The question is who would Edwards support and better yet who cares?

So bogus not really worth much of a response

"It’s why, other than hockey, the U of M will have a hard time winning championships."

Is Edwards saying that black guys can't skate?

This Ron Edwards guy is an example of why you stay away from drugs kids!

Why does this feel like devavu from six months ago?

The problem with this kind of article and this kind of thinking is that it harms minorities chances of getting hired in the first place. I think the act of HIRING a black coach should put away any notion of a racial bias at the U. The fact the we have had 2 black coaches should absolutely put any racial bias completely to bed. What irks people and what harms the process is that sometimes it is hard to FIRE minorities without getting accused of being racist. It makes people think that it would be easier to not hire minorites, then you dont leave yourself subject to lawsuits and high profile articles about you being a racists if you fire those people.

Nor women coaches. Borton was fired after a winning season. In fact, now that I think about it, we fired Dutcher after two African-American players were twice accused of rape. That probably wasn't fair either. And Brewster, how can you pick on and fire the under 100 IQ folks? That must be against some rule. And Mase, well you should never fire someone that can smile like that.

Small clarification regarding Jim Dutcher. He resigned because Ken Keller mandated that the team forfeit the next game with Northwestern.

Small clarification regarding Jim Dutcher. He resigned because Ken Keller mandated that the team forfeit the next game with Northwestern.

And dismissed the three players from the team, threatened to cancel the season, and maybe even nix the program

Should just give this article the attention it deserves--which is nothing for this BS. However, what also bothers me about it, is that Ron Edwards isn't just a lone voice out there spewing in the wind. He has an audience and there seems to be a perception out there, centered in north Minneapolis, that the U is unfair to minorities. Now, the audience might be not that connected to the AAU basketball scene or the 17 year old kid playing basketball might not give a damn what Edwards thinks, but it seems to me that's one of the problems the U has in recruiting black athletes from the area. It has come up earlier when General College was eliminated and really was a sore point when McKinley Boston was fired.

Don't know how you deal with this. Hell, I don't even know how prevalent this view is in the black community, but, again, this is someone writing for an audience with his views. How large it is, I really have no idea, but I doubt very much Edwards is delusional enough to think he's going to convince the average white Gopher fan like me. But I do wonder if the knee-jerk reaction to just dismiss Edwards as an idiot is the proper one. That was my first reaction, and it's a ridiculous article. But this is like a festering wound that doesn't go away, IMO. Really would like to hear some different views on this idea that the U is hostile to blacks.

How about not posting articles (links) like this on GH in the first place?

When the crazy, drunk guy runs onto the field during a game, they don't put the tv cameras on him for a reason.

When the crazy, drunk guy runs onto the field during a game, they don't put the tv cameras on him for a reason.

Then the folks on that side will claim the majority is afraid to debate their points. I'd rather debate the point and come to the conclusion the author is a moron with an agenda. Which I have in this case.

I disagree. Reading articles of this level of stupidity is very amusing.

I think he's getting the U mixed up with Tubby. After all, Tubby was clearly racist as a coach, but you'll never read an article about that.

A simple example is Sampson vs Iverson, I will leave it at that.

Oh, you mean how he'd rather play Hoffarber (a white man) out of position at PG than play Ahanmisi (a black man) there? What a moronic comment.

P.S. My nephew and Iverson are best friends - race had nothing to do with it. As I suspected, you're talking out of your ass.

P.S. My nephew and Iverson are best friends - race had nothing to do with it. As I suspected, you're talking out of your ass.

I suspect getting a foul every 30 seconds had something to do with it.

Honest question, who would you rather have on your team? Let's say we have both. Who's deserving of more minutes?

Honest question, who would you rather have on your team? Let's say we have both. Who's deserving of more minutes?

Iverson. Yeah, I'm not racist!!!!!

Someone you thought was a bad basketball coach makes a bad coaching decision, it's not because he's a bad coach, it's because he's racist. I think I got it.

What about people that thought Leidner should be playing over Nelson? Anti-outstate?

The problem with this kind of article and this kind of thinking is that it harms minorities chances of getting hired in the first place. I think the act of HIRING a black coach should put away any notion of a racial bias at the U. The fact the we have had 2 black coaches should absolutely put any racial bias completely to bed. What irks people and what harms the process is that sometimes it is hard to FIRE minorities without getting accused of being racist. It makes people think that it would be easier to not hire minorites, then you dont leave yourself subject to lawsuits and high profile articles about you being a racists if you fire those people.

I wonder how many Big Ten basketball coaches have been black in the conference history. I'm guessing it's less than 10. Minnesota has hired two of them.

Top Bottom