Ron Edwards column suggests U doesn't treat black coaches well, cites Clem and Tubby

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Edwards' column:

And then there was Clem Haskins, brought here to rejuvenate and breathe life back into UM men’s basketball — also forced out. When Lou Holtz left he told Clem that these folks don’t want a winning program — football or basketball — if Blacks are given starting and star roles. And soon, Clem Haskins was sent on his way.

Little has changed. A decade later, when Tubby Smith came here from Kentucky and turned around a basketball program that had fallen on hard times, he too, despite winning, was told to move on (in one of the most cowardly displays in big-time sports).

Tubby’s replacement was not negatively critiqued by the White media, so, in the final analysis, the dark shadow of Raymond “Red” Presley, a friend of mine who was the legendary UM three-sport athlete not always allowed to play, continues to speak volumes about a culture that really doesn’t want too many Blacks, and certainly doesn’t want them in positions of power and leadership, and that never wants to refer to them as heroes.

http://www.spokesman-recorder.com/2014/03/26/was-it-tubby-smiths-fault/

Go Gophers!!

Well this thread should be fun.

Am I missing something? Wasn't Clem forced out because of little-known academic scandal? Some of you may remember hearing about this at the time.

This is so idiotic, I'm mad at myself for even acknowledging it by posting a response. I've never heard of this guy.

Clem - oversaw team with one of the worst academic scandals in modern day college athletics.

Tubby - paid what? $12+million over five years? poor guy.

Ahhhh Clem was responsible for one of the largest academic scandals ever uncovered in the history of the NCAA. I don't care who you are or what your race is, you aren't going to hang around too long if something like that comes out. Tubby was let go because he never lived up to expectations and his enormous salary.

Clem still enjoys widespread adoration and respect around here even with his role in the academic scandal. The administration and the fans would have been glad to have him work another ten years and retire here had it not been for what was discovered about the program he ran.

If Tubby had had even one winning conference record or got to half as many Sweet Sixteens as he did at Tulsa, he'd still be working here.

Clem forced himself out.

Tubby got too comfortable and didnt have the fire anymore at least for our program.

Perhaps Mr. Edwards should review the relevant facts regarding the dismissals of both Haskins and Smith before he gets all high and mighty.

Then again, that would bust up his racial propaganda angle before it ever got going.

In other words, this article is as close to utter tripe as it gets.

The fact that anyone even let this get to press (especially while ignoring the conduct of poor, victimized Haskins) is so laughable, it should be considered nothing but a joke.

Alas, I fear this writer is actually serious about the Haskins angle.

Race had zero to do with why both were told to take a hike. Saying Tubby was shown the door because he is black is like saying Mason got the hook because he is white.

The only Racist is the writer. How pathetic. If a white person wrote an article like this they would be labeled racist. When is this country going to evaluate people on the content of their character verses race.

That "newspaper" is so full of *ss-clowns it is actually entertaining to read, hilarious in its stupidity. The only other place you see blather like this is from a couple select GH posters, so it's kind of fun to see names attached and try to connect the dots. Hide the women and children.

Their next story will be on Borton, Monson, Mason, and Brewster being relieved of their duties, right? Right? hahahahaha

A year ago this month, the Minnesota Gophers Men’s Basketball team played in the NCAA Basketball tournament. The African American Head Coach, Tubby Smith, had retooled the team. It was on the move again. But even when 15-1, Star Tribune started a series of negative, anti-Tubby columns. (At 15-1? No. At 15-5? Probably. At 21-13? Most assuredly. As they started the season 15-1, they ended the season 6-12. Negative columns get written and coaches lose jobs when that happens.)

To his credit, Sid Hartman didn’t agree (writing the day before Smith was fired that it would be a “big mistake by the Gophers”). Coach Smith went deep into the tournament last year, losing only in the third round, the “Sweet 16,” three games from the championship. Next day: fired.
(Sorry Mr. Edwards, but this is where your column, your point, your credibility absolutely fell to pieces. The NCAA tournament's third round is creative wordsmithing in an attempt to make play-in games seem more relevant. But yes, let's say they reached the third round-they won one game, they were in the round of 32, and they would have needed to win four more games to reach the championship. One win, over a decimated and disinterested UCLA squad does not make for a March Madness of glory.)

The century-long peculiar smell in the UM athletic culture raised the bar so high so that if he didn’t win the National Championship he would no longer be UM Men’s Head Basketball Coach.
(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...did I miss something while living in Bangladesh? Is the culture around the offices of the "U" championship or bust? Is expecting more than one tournament win in the six years of a very well compensated run at the "U" equate to Edwards ridiculous statement?)

For those who know the University of Minnesota history with Black coaches, this was not surprising. In 1951, Head Basketball Coach Ozzie Cowles said no African American would ever step on his court of competition. His teams played slow, “control basketball.” There are still those slow at acknowledging either civil rights or Blacks as Minnesota team’s head coaches.
(1951? Seems contextual and germane to this conversation-I am certain that Cowles was the sole backwards thinking coach in America in 1951.)

When the great All American Quarterback, Sandy Stephens arrived in 1959 as a UM freshman, and was designated by Mississippi-born Head Football Coach Murray Warmath as the next QB, replacing Smokin’ Joe Salem, White alumni and the White media in MN put up a howl. They hadn’t won a championship in nearly 30 years.

Sandy Stephens, along with fellow Black All Americans Bobby Bell, Carl Eller, Bill Munsey, and Judge Dixon, put up with the hatred and venom directed towards them. They led the U to a Rose Bowl win and its last national football championship. None, now for over 50 years.

Four years later, the greatest trio of basketball players ever to select UM basketball — all African Americans — Lou Hudson, Archie Clark, and Don Yates, led the Gophers to three successive winning seasons. The constant besides winning: criticizing and attacking Black players.

The culture: There were too many “shadows” on the court. Five years later, Brewer, Turner, Young, and Taylor came to the Gopher basketball program. The White media in this city said there was too much racial imbalance on the basketball court. How to balance? White coach.
(Wikipedia tells me that the first D-1 black college basketball coach was hired in 1970 by Illinois State. The first black coaches of major programs I can recall were John Thompson and George Raveling in the early '80s.)

And then there was Clem Haskins, brought here to rejuvenate and breathe life back into UM men’s basketball — also forced out. When Lou Holtz left he told Clem that these folks don’t want a winning program — football or basketball — if Blacks are given starting and star roles. And soon, Clem Haskins was sent on his way.
(WTF???? Absolutely no acknowledgement of Gangelgate? Or the fact that the NCAA effectively banned Clem from coaching college basketball? WTF, WTF, WTF!)

Little has changed. A decade later, when Tubby Smith came here from Kentucky and turned around a basketball program that had fallen on hard times, he too, despite winning, was told to move on (in one of the most cowardly displays in big-time sports).

(Huh? How was it cowardly? Mr. Edwards should check out how Bobby Petrino leaves jobs)

Tubby’s replacement was not negatively critiqued by the White media, so, in the final analysis, the dark shadow of Raymond “Red” Presley, a friend of mine who was the legendary UM three-sport athlete not always allowed to play, continues to speak volumes about a culture that really doesn’t want too many Blacks, and certainly doesn’t want them in positions of power and leadership, and that never wants to refer to them as heroes.

(Quite a statement-in my years as a Gopher fan, I have idolized/admired Trent Tucker, Daryl Mitchell, Tommy Davis, Roland Brooks, Willie Burton, Richard Coffey, Melvin Newburn, Walter Bond, Townsend Orr, Ariel McDonald, Randy Carter, Jayson Walton, Voshon Lenard, Bobby Jackson, John Thomas, Eric Harris, Courtney James, Charles Thomas (neither of whom ultimately deserved such admiration), Quincy Lewis, Aaron Robinson, J'Son Stamper, Vincent Grier, Al Nolen, Lawrence Westbrook, Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins, and I know I'm missing many more; I know I haven't been alone. I would assume that many of these Gopher alums would not have such a negative appraisal of the U of M as Mr. Edwards)

It’s why, other than hockey, the U of M will have a hard time winning championships. The late, great Bobby Marshall stated in 1903 about how difficult it was to be a Negro in the culture of Golden Gopher Sports. It still is.

Outside of Tubby Smith, Mr. Edwards doesn't reference any current or recent African-American alum of the University of Minnesota. I would assume Quincy Lewis would provide a different point of view, if one wants to hear it.

Can someone post the full article? I need a good laugh but don't want to give this guy any more clicks than needed.

An article that has zero comments on its page and zero shares on Facebook in five days. I don't think we have to work ourselves up in a lather over this one.....although we probably tripled the traffic to their site in just the past couple of hours.

P.S. Clem was given FREE REIGN over every facet of his basketball program. His own academic advisor who only reports to Clem? Oh, the persecution of the mistreated black man.

Actually seems like a good angle to pass it off as racism. Otherwise Mr. Edwards has to come to turns with his own ignorance. Racism is much easier for him to accept, I'm sure.

coolhandgopher, I think you make a grave error in addressing the Edwards character as "Mr. Edwards". That mischaracterizes the creep as some sort of rational human being. His display of stupidity reaches a low, that not only deserves no respect, but should produce contempt amongst Gopher fans that rivals the nausea that results from the thought that Jan Ganglehoff still breaths air on this planet.

coolhandgopher, I think you make a grave error in addressing the Edwards character as "Mr. Edwards". That mischaracterizes the creep as some sort of rational human being. His display of stupidity reaches a low, that not only deserves no respect, but should produce contempt amongst Gopher fans that rivals the nausea that results from the thought that Jan Ganglehoof still breaths air on this planet.

pssst.....Jan Ganglehof actually died about ten years ago. But I get your point.

An article that has zero comments on its page and zero shares on Facebook in five days. I don't think we have to work ourselves up in a lather over this one.....although we probably tripled the traffic to their site in just the past couple of hours.

P.S. Clem was given FREE REIGN over every facet of his basketball program. His own academic advisor who only reports to Clem? Oh, the persecution of the mistreated black man.

Three now.

gopherfan April 1, 2014
Ron Edwards is the only one here who is a racist and ignores the fact that Clem was brought down by academic scandal and Tubby didn’t live up to his salary nor did he have a single winning big ten season. Tubby also never made it past the second round in the NCAA tournament. Mr. Edwards conveniently ignores facts to push his racist agenda.

brian krenik April 1, 2014
This has to be dumbest article ever written. I will agree that minnesota has not been great in football and basketball over the years, but to say it is because of the treatment of black coaches is idiotic. Haskins had one of the best cheating systems in place, and Tubby couldn’t go 500 in the conference. He won one game in the NCAA, not the sweet 16 as you stated. Glen Mason was let go with the same type of record, didn’t know he was black, because that’s the only time it happens according to you. There are enough problems with equality without you writing trash like this. Yes it was Tubby’s fault, just like it was the white coach before and the white coach now if he doesn’t win.

Equal Rights Seeker April 1, 2014
Ron Edwards is a racist man. This article is unnecessary. Clem cheated, Tubby fell short of expectations.
The Gophers team looks better off after Year 1 with Pitino and I watch every game. I am also black.

Is this the same clown that said the Timberwolves assembled a roster of 10 white guys and only 5 blacks for the sole purpose of selling more tickets to whites who were the majority of season ticket holders.

"Minnesota fans don’t want a winning program if Blacks are given starting and star roles."

Uh huh.

The U hired both Smith and Haskins just so they could FIRE THEM!

Is this the same clown that said the Timberwolves assembled a roster of 10 white guys and only 5 blacks for the sole purpose of selling more tickets to whites who were the majority of season ticket holders.

Not sure, but if it is, color me not surprised. That argument was full with the same type of crap that leads to "articles" like this one.

I was a bit uncomfortable with how strongly we responded to Larry Fitzgerald, Sr.'s article making similar accusations. Though I didn't agree with Fitzgerald that Tubby and Frazier ought to have been retained (though I do think Spielman and the entire Twins front office and coaching staff - all white dudes - ought to have been fired as well), his argument was far more cogent by comparison. He didn't base his argument on things that were demonstrably untrue. It was worth seriously considering and investigating.

But this one is just a joke. He gets basic facts wrong, and somehow forgot about the biggest disaster in the history of the program. If you're going to be provocative, make sure you don't open yourself up for mockery.

Three now.

gopherfan April 1, 2014
Ron Edwards is the only one here who is a racist and ignores the fact that Clem was brought down by academic scandal and Tubby didn’t live up to his salary nor did he have a single winning big ten season. Tubby also never made it past the second round in the NCAA tournament. Mr. Edwards conveniently ignores facts to push his racist agenda.

brian krenik April 1, 2014
This has to be dumbest article ever written. I will agree that minnesota has not been great in football and basketball over the years, but to say it is because of the treatment of black coaches is idiotic. Haskins had one of the best cheating systems in place, and Tubby couldn’t go 500 in the conference. He won one game in the NCAA, not the sweet 16 as you stated. Glen Mason was let go with the same type of record, didn’t know he was black, because that’s the only time it happens according to you. There are enough problems with equality without you writing trash like this. Yes it was Tubby’s fault, just like it was the white coach before and the white coach now if he doesn’t win.

Equal Rights Seeker April 1, 2014
Ron Edwards is a racist man. This article is unnecessary. Clem cheated, Tubby fell short of expectations.
The Gophers team looks better off after Year 1 with Pitino and I watch every game. I am also black.

One thing amazes me: How so many people that claim to be so intelligent call people racist when they've not actually done anything racist. I disagree with Edwards but him believing something racist was going on does not, in fact make him racist (ie believing his race is superior to others). I'm sure a lot of white people are tired of hearing about people thinking things are racist but I'm sure sick of hearing white people call minorities racist because they disagree that an incident was in and of itself racist. Its so stupid I'm amazed you don't feel like an idiot when you type it.

One thing amazes me: How so many people that claim to be so intelligent call people racist when they've not actually done anything racist. I disagree with Edwards but him believing something racist was going on does not, in fact make him racist (ie believing his race is superior to others). I'm sure a lot of white people are tired of hearing about people thinking things are racist but I'm sure sick of hearing white people call minorities racist because they disagree that an incident was in and of itself racist. Its so stupid I'm amazed you don't feel like an idiot when you type it.

If Edwards isn't a racist - then someone stole his computer. That article is complete trash - start to finish, and it was designed to hurt the Gopher program. Haskins forced out over color- please give me a break. Haskins cheated his fanny off and he is still beloved here- got a standing O a month or so back at the Barn. The "white media" loved Haskins as did Gopher fans. Brewer, Behagen and company - too black- baloney! That's the most beloved team in Gopher history, from my viewpoint, that's when Gopher basketball became the hot ticket. The stands were jam packed and the "White media" loved that squad.

Racism- IMO- is when people see each other as divided in terms of color rather than as people, you know the "quality of the character" thing that MLK so wisely said. This stuff does no good. Terrible article.

Racist is probably the wrong term. What the man is trying to do is incite racial conflict into a society that already has too much by telling blatant lies to make a situation that has nothing to do with race seem like it is. That makes him no better than a racist.

his focusing on race despite having no cogent argument is indicative of someone who is racist, i.e. treats one group of people better than another. you can't tell me the yokels who comment on a quarterback's race ad nauseum are speaking from a happy place. they're injecting race into a conversation because of their own shortcomings, i.e. fear, i.e. racism, i.e. mr. edwards.

Top Bottom