Are spring games dying a slow death?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Kill has a couple of interesting comments about spring games in the STrib today:

Dialing it back

The Gophers are scheduled to hold their annual spring game April 12 at TCF Bank Stadium, but if the weather doesn’t cooperate, it would be moved inside the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex.

TCU coach Gary Patterson is among the college coaches who have skipped spring games altogether in recent years. This spring, Oklahoma State is hosting an “Orange Blitz” open practice, instead of its traditional “Orange-White” spring game.

“I think you’re going to see a lot of things change with college football,” Kill said. “I think they’re all getting ahead of the game. I think we’re all nervous about that because it’s not worth it. You go through 14 [spring] practices, and then all of a sudden, you get a player hurt. It’s just not worth it.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/252375091.html

Go Gophers!!

Don't have a problem with it. Those that get hyped up about whether or not a spring game is really a "game or not" are just being short-thinking. A nice controlled scrimmage is fine. I don't need a key player hurt just to sooth my need for college football 24-7. I can wait for the Fall.

Players can and do get hurt in practice, is there something about having a game format that makes injuries more likely?

A real game, a practice game, and a controlled scrimmage (i.e., practice) are very different things. I don't care what anyone says, players don't play the same in practice games as they do real games. Therefore, practice games are a bad idea namely because it has the least amount of control (some players playing at say 95% and others at say 70%) which in turns leads to a higher likilhood of injuries. In real games, everyone is generally playing at the same intensity level. Although fun for a lot of fans, there is no way I'd hold a spring game if I were coaching the team.

So, magical fairy dust keeps these players from being hurt in practice, but doesn't work on the same plays if it's in a game format?

So, magical fairy dust keeps these players from being hurt in practice, but doesn't work on the same plays if it's in a game format?

Have you never attended a practice? The number of full contact drills and 11 on 11 work is minimal. Therefore the likelihood of injury is reduced (not eliminated) when compared to a spring game format that has full contact, full speed play going on for extended period of time.

Spring games have never been at the same level as a regular game (obviously), they've always been a controlled scrimmage or sorts. You have QB's wearing orange, quick whistles, do-overs, situational plays, etc, etc, etc. If the coaches want to dial it back further, they could goto a 90% passing spring game with the lines backing down after contact and the DB's playing loose coverage. I don't know what anyone would learn from that, but it could be done.

IMO, it depends on the individual coach. Do they want to see what their players are capable of and who steps up in a simulated game situation with hitting at near full speed, or don't they care about that data in lue of injury? Kill appears to want to back away from full contact, and that's OK as along as there is still a fan interaction day of some sort associated with spring football. Look at the attendance at some spring football games around the country . . . its a big deal, and needs to be maintained at some level.

Spring games have never been at the same level as a regular game (obviously), they've always been a controlled scrimmage or sorts. You have QB's wearing orange, quick whistles, do-overs, situational plays, etc, etc, etc. If the coaches want to dial it back further, they could goto a 90% passing spring game with the lines backing down after contact and the DB's playing loose coverage. I don't know what anyone would learn from that, but it could be done.

IMO, it depends on the individual coach. Do they want to see what their players are capable of and who steps up in a simulated game situation with hitting at near full speed, or don't they care about that data in lue of injury? Kill appears to want to back away from full contact, and that's OK as along as there is still a fan interaction day of some sort associated with spring football. Look at the attendance at some spring football games around the country . . . its a big deal, and needs to be maintained at some level.

I think you make a good point on it depending on the coach. In my opinion, Coach Kill needs to decide what the best use of the time is. If it is to put on a game that is probably more of a show to the fans than useful football, than great. If the best use of the time is a pads off practice, so be it. I enjoy going to the spring game but I don't go every year and if they dropped it I wouldn't lose any sleep.

If it's on spring jam Saturday again, like I think it is, the students aren't showing up anyway.

Pretty much. In practice or a scrimmage, the coaches decide when to blow the whistle. In a game, the ref does. He has no emotional attachment to the players, nor their safety. He blows the whistle when the play is over. He is looking for fouls. He is managing time, down and distance. Hell, yes, there are far more opportunities for injury in a game format. Simply put, plays last longer. In game situations, players tackle harder as well, trying to get that whistle. It's apples and oranges.

Pretty much. In practice or a scrimmage, the coaches decide when to blow the whistle. In a game, the ref does. He has no emotional attachment to the players, nor their safety. He blows the whistle when the play is over. He is looking for fouls. He is managing time, down and distance. Hell, yes, there are far more opportunities for injury in a game format. Simply put, plays last longer. In game situations, players tackle harder as well, trying to get that whistle. It's apples and oranges.

I've watched a lot of Spring football games over the past few years (many on tv), and the whistles are definitely different than real games in the fall. The whistles for a spring game tend to blow very early, much earlier that a real game in the fall. While the teams do bring in real refs, it appears that they are instructed to kill every play as early as possible , especially on running plays and pass rushes near the QB. (QB off limits anyway, but lot of quick whistles)

With this trend, it won't be long before these spring games are just controlled practices.

The situations in practice are way more controlled then in a scrimmage. Not that hard to understand really.

Spring games are nice. But if they went away no one would miss them.

Way back, they had alumni/varsity games, which were fun. The 1960 Gopher national champions lost to the alumni. Warmath was so angry with the alumni when they gave the ball to all-pro lineman Leo Nomellini (who arrived from the airport at half-time) to score inside the five, that he would never play the alumni again.

Way back, they had alumni/varsity games, which were fun. The 1960 Gopher national champions lost to the alumni. Warmath was so angry with the alumni when they gave the ball to all-pro lineman Leo Nomellini (who arrived from the airport at half-time) to score inside the five, that he would never play the alumni again.

Now that would be fun to watch. Probably even more fun than most non-conference matchups.

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

I find it funny that last season, Coach was trotting out the idea of having local "celebrity" coaches and things like that. Making the spring game an event for the fans. Now, coming out and elluding to doing away with it. Last year I had a great time and was a perfect example of how well it can work, with BEAUTIFUL weather, of course.

I will certainly miss it if they decide to do away with it because I enjoyed going to and watching the spring game with a group of friends I go with every year. I enjoyed seeing how players improved and how they preform in the spring, which needs to be taken as it is. Oh well, I guess.

Spring games are nice. But if they went away no one would miss them.

Last year we got field passes through a Coach Kill camp and I took my two boys (then 10 and 8) along with 3 of their buddies. None of the 3 buddies had ever been to TCF. We got there early and tailgated, played bags with some others, threw the ball around a LOT. I imprinted upon them the sacred tradition of tailgating. Went in for the alumni flag football game, and then they played around on the field between the scrimmage and the actual spring game. They got pics with Foggie, Abdul Khaliq, and a bunch of other guys they never heard of. But it gave me an opportunity to tell the boys about many of the players. Back out to the lot for more snacks and another dog on the grill, followed by watching the game, and then the very large, very popular autograph session afterwards. One of the boys got his parents to buy 4 season tickets the next week. The other two boys (brothers) come over to our house to watch games, and are wearing M&G to school all the time. At the homes of the two families that joined us, there are pictures hanging of them and their friends on the field, with the scoreboard in the background, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah...I would miss it.

Just an observation no judgment. What does it say about a sport where it openly admits that they don't want to play because playing is deemed too risky or dangerous? Where coaches openly admit that less is more? It's especially interesting because coaches are ultimate control freaks whi typically wish they could always do more to prepare.

I've watched a lot of Spring football games over the past few years (many on tv), and the whistles are definitely different than real games in the fall. The whistles for a spring game tend to blow very early, much earlier that a real game in the fall. While the teams do bring in real refs, it appears that they are instructed to kill every play as early as possible , especially on running plays and pass rushes near the QB. (QB off limits anyway, but lot of quick whistles)

With this trend, it won't be long before these spring games are just controlled practices.

You're absolutely correct, and you wrapped it up better than I could. The "magic fairy dust" is the "length of a play". I like seeing the new players for each season as well, but I don't want to see them writhing on the ground clutching a knee.

Last year we got field passes through a Coach Kill camp and I took my two boys (then 10 and 8) along with 3 of their buddies. None of the 3 buddies had ever been to TCF. We got there early and tailgated, played bags with some others, threw the ball around a LOT. I imprinted upon them the sacred tradition of tailgating. Went in for the alumni flag football game, and then they played around on the field between the scrimmage and the actual spring game. They got pics with Foggie, Abdul Khaliq, and a bunch of other guys they never heard of. But it gave me an opportunity to tell the boys about many of the players. Back out to the lot for more snacks and another dog on the grill, followed by watching the game, and then the very large, very popular autograph session afterwards. One of the boys got his parents to buy 4 season tickets the next week. The other two boys (brothers) come over to our house to watch games, and are wearing M&G to school all the time. At the homes of the two families that joined us, there are pictures hanging of them and their friends on the field, with the scoreboard in the background, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah...I would miss it.

You wouldn't be missing this. You can have all the events you listed, with a full speed practice instead of a game. Done and done.

Yeah...I would miss it.

Great great post

Mn Daily Column: As a whole, spring games are pointless, ya feel me?

I attended Minnesota’s spring football games in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

I did not attend this year’s. And by the looks of it, not many other people did, either.

I skimmed a box score and talked to people who did opt to spend their Saturday afternoon at an empty TCF Bank Stadium. From what I gathered, this year’s spring game was like every other Gophers spring game in recent memory — boring as hell.

If you came to any one of the spring football practices, you probably saw more meaningful football than you did Saturday.

On Saturday, nothing that happened mattered.

Ya feel me?

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2014/04/14/column-whole-spring-games-are-pointless-ya-feel-me

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom