All Things NCAA Transfers and NBA declaration

Him and Slam Dekker are staying 100%.
If they are told they will be taken in the first round they would be fools for stayng. Nothing is a 100 % right now. Except Riley Dearring will not be putting his name in the draft,;)

I'm pretty sure one of the guys set to commit is Lofton, I'm also told they're hopeful he can play next season but not certain or banking on it.
If this is true, in guessing it will be official by next week.

That's been my assumption too - just a hunch of course, no inside info. We really could use a guy with a scorer's mentality and Lofton appears to have that. I'd just really hope he could play right away and not have to sit a year.

Still very much in play

Thanks for all the info, both of you.

I totally forgot about the personality that first got me following the Gopherhole: JohnnyGopher. All of these inside scoops remind me of him!

I'm pretty sure one of the guys set to commit is Lofton

I would think Lofton is in a similar position to Delshon Strickland. He's not option A, B or even C.. A guy at the back of the list if other SG prospects pass on the gophers.

Unlike Zeisloft, Lofton and Keane will have to sit out a year if they transfer to another Division I school.

Lofton, a native of St. Paul, Minn., came to ISU last spring from San Jacinto (Texas) College and made 13 starts. The 6-4 Lofton scored a season-high 25 points in a 53-48 loss to Missouri State in the MVC Tournament quarterfinals.

That turned out to be Lofton’s last game before he was suspended by Muller for unspecified reasons and missed the College Basketball Invitational. Lofton was second on the team with 50 3-pointers.

“I’ve been blessed to have played my first NCAA Division I season and I’m thankful for my coaching staff, for the fans and for everyone who has helped me along the way and for everyone who has helped me grow as a person,” said Lofton.

Muller said he is “excited about Zach’s future as a person and player, and I believe he is more ready than ever to be successful.”

Unlike Zeisloft, Lofton and Keane will have to sit out a year if they transfer to another Division I school.

Lofton, a native of St. Paul, Minn., came to ISU last spring from San Jacinto (Texas) College and made 13 starts. The 6-4 Lofton scored a season-high 25 points in a 53-48 loss to Missouri State in the MVC Tournament quarterfinals.

That turned out to be Lofton’s last game before he was suspended by Muller for unspecified reasons and missed the College Basketball Invitational. Lofton was second on the team with 50 3-pointers.

“I’ve been blessed to have played my first NCAA Division I season and I’m thankful for my coaching staff, for the fans and for everyone who has helped me along the way and for everyone who has helped me grow as a person,” said Lofton.

Muller said he is “excited about Zach’s future as a person and player, and I believe he is more ready than ever to be successful.”

I do not comprehend what the hell is going on here.

I would think Lofton is in a similar position to Delshon Strickland. He's not option A, B or even C.. A guy at the back of the list if other SG prospects pass on the gophers.

Well like I said, I'm pretty sure he's set to sign soon.
As for playing next year, I said they were hopeful, but not banking on it. IDK why or how, must be anticipating applying for a waiver.

I do not comprehend what the hell is going on here.

Standard coach-speak of a coach talking nicey-nice about a departing player.

Translation of Muller's quote:

"He was a major headache. We're glad to get rid of him, and now he can become someone else's problem."

Standard coach-speak of a coach talking nicey-nice about a departing player.

Translation of Muller's quote:

"He was a major headache. We're glad to get rid of him, and now he can become someone else's problem."

Haha, if he was suspended their last few games of the season... it's even stranger to throw out that kind of coach speak.

Why do people keep bringing up that "so and so" was "granted a release"? That is completely immaterial and irrelevant to whether the player will be granted a waiver to play immediately. It's a total non-factor.

That's been my assumption too - just a hunch of course, no inside info. We really could use a guy with a scorer's mentality and Lofton appears to have that. I'd just really hope he could play right away and not have to sit a year.

If Lofton is one of our commits, I wouldn't mind seeing him sit the transfer year. He's only got 2 years of eligibility left. Let him take a year to settle in here, learn the system, get comfortable, get his off the court stuff in order, etc. and then he could be a great scorer for us for 2 years when the Dre's are gone. Lofton's been moving around to a different team practically every year for the last 4 or 5 years, would probably do him some good to take a year to settle in, like Mbakwe did, like Petteway at NU, and some of the ISU guys.

Why do people keep bringing up that "so and so" was "granted a release"? That is completely immaterial and irrelevant to whether the player will be granted a waiver to play immediately. It's a total non-factor.

Was wondering the same thing.

Since the NCAA tweaked the transfer rule it seems like every transfer is trying to find a sick relative they can claim so they can become eligible right away. I understand there are legitimate cases like that, but it's getting out of hand.

I liked the old rule better; if you transfer, then you sit a year. That takes out all the gray area that these coaches have, not surprisingly, pounced on. That makes all transfers created equal, and then we don't have situations like Malik and Buckles where we're left wondering why one was allowed to and the other wasn't.

A commitment is still in store, but not the player who I initially thought it was. I don't think it will come within a couple of days, but it's all lined up. It's still a guy that sources consider to be impactful.

No offense, but pretty much anyone could say this. The spring signing period has started and we have 2 open scholarships. Of course we are going to sign someone, of course it's someone the staff already is in contact with and probably has lined up, and of course any guy they sign they will consider impactful.

My guess is that you heard we were in good with Justin Martin, and jumped the gun suggesting we were going to get him ... overlooking the fact that he can't commit for a month and surely other teams are going to be competing for him as well.

Was wondering the same thing.

Since the NCAA tweaked the transfer rule it seems like every transfer is trying to find a sick relative they can claim so they can become eligible right away. I understand there are legitimate cases like that, but it's getting out of hand.

I liked the old rule better; if you transfer, then you sit a year. That takes out all the gray area that these coaches have, not surprisingly, pounced on. That makes all transfers created equal, and then we don't have situations like Malik and Buckles where we're left wondering why one was allowed to and the other wasn't.

Yeah, the whole thing is a huge loophole. Who's even to say who is "ill" enough ... is the NCAA actually examining medical records and the like? Does the NCAA now have doctors on staff to look at those records and interpret them?

it seems like every transfer is trying to find a sick relative they can claim so they can become eligible right away

I can think of several that transferred there last year of eligibility and what do you know, the year after they graduate they are far from home, playing overseas...

Yeah, the whole thing is a huge loophole. Who's even to say who is "ill" enough ... is the NCAA actually examining medical records and the like? Does the NCAA now have doctors on staff to look at those records and interpret them?

The NCAA does look at medical records, XRays, doctors opinions, medical research, etc.

I can't say anything on what goes into their decision, but they do certainly collect evidence.

If Lofton is one of our commits, I wouldn't mind seeing him sit the transfer year. He's only got 2 years of eligibility left. Let him take a year to settle in here, learn the system, get comfortable, get his off the court stuff in order, etc. and then he could be a great scorer for us for 2 years when the Dre's are gone. Lofton's been moving around to a different team practically every year for the last 4 or 5 years, would probably do him some good to take a year to settle in, like Mbakwe did, like Petteway at NU, and some of the ISU guys.

That makes a lot of sense.
But you know the fan base is always eager and impatient.
Including me, especially with the uncertainty of coaching and roster changes every off-season.
But I do like that thinking.

“@byron_wesley: I would like to announce that I have decided to graduate from USC this summer and transfer for my final year of college basketball.”

“@byron_wesley: I would like to announce that I have decided to graduate from USC this summer and transfer for my final year of college basketball.”

He's going to be a hot commodity. I'm sure Pitino will contact, but he's going to have some good teams going after him.

18 and 6 this season. He'll be a wanted man.

Well, they do have to be released from their scholarship to be allowed to talk to other schools and figure out where to go. You can say "I'm transferring" and ask for a release, and even sometimes you see press releases such as with Eron Harris that only announce that the player has asked for the release, but if the release isn't granted you're in a sticky wicket. Sometimes schools will hold off on the release to make sure the kid finishes the term with a good enough GPA to not ding their APR on the way out. So getting a release is a condition precedent to transferring and applying for a waiver to play immediately.

Well, they do have to be released from their scholarship to be allowed to talk to other schools and figure out where to go. You can say "I'm transferring" and ask for a release, and even sometimes you see press releases such as with Eron Harris that only announce that the player has asked for the release, but if the release isn't granted you're in a sticky wicket. Sometimes schools will hold off on the release to make sure the kid finishes the term with a good enough GPA to not ding their APR on the way out. So getting a release is a condition precedent to transferring and applying for a waiver to play immediately.

Some on the board seem to think getting a release alone makes you eligible to play immediately. I think that might be what he is responding to.

Sim Bhullar declares for the draft. Any team going to draft him?

I would think some team will take a stab at him with a pick later in the second round just on novelty alone. Frequently some teams use those late picks for low probability players.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Chris Obekpa is coming back to the Johnnies, St. John's announces.</p>— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/statuses/457249086752972800">April 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom