Hole Poll: How far will the Gophers go in the 2014 NCAA Hockey Tournament?

• Lose in first round of West Regional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win first game, lose in West Regional final

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Advance to Frozen Four, lose in semifinals

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Advance to championship, finish runner-up

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Gophers win 6th National Title!! Pride On Ice!

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Screw it, I voted National Title. With how pitifully the team has played over the past two games, I can't imagine that it hasn't lit a fire under their asses. I need this optimism.

Screw it, I voted National Title. With how pitifully the team has played over the past two games, I can't imagine that it hasn't lit a fire under their asses. I need this optimism.

I'm not putting too much stock in those last two games. The second to the last one, we got blown out, but we had no reason at all to show up. We had just wrapped up the first ever conference title, the top seed in the conference tournament, and had all-but wrapped up the number 1 seed in the NCAA. Michigan on the other hand was at home and trying to play their way off the bubble.

As for the semi-final game, that one is more concerning to me. However, OSU was desperately trying to keep their season alive (they took another NCAA 1 seed to overtime the next night), while we had the number 1 overall seed wrapped up. Maybe the team didn't care as much as I do about the conference tourney banner, which would tick me off, but I think we see them show up in the NCAAs.

Hopefully they will show. The problem, however, continues to be that we should need to speculate about it. Recent history, as in repeated poor performances against outmanned opponents, is not on our side here.

Hopefully they will show. The problem, however, continues to be that we should need to speculate about it. Recent history, as in repeated poor performances against outmanned opponents, is not on our side here.

What is also not on our side is the Gophers having lost their last 4 single elimination playoff games (conference or NCAA). Over the last three seasons, we lost our first game in the single elimination weekend of conference tourney, all three times losing to a lower seed when we were coming off of a quarterfinal bye. During that three year stretch, we are 2-5 in single elimination playoff games, and I believe we were the higher seed in 6 of those 7 games (the exception being the curb stomping we got from Boston in the Frozen Four two years ago).

we were actually the 2 seed and the Whioux were the 1 in the west regional in 2012.

One thing going for the team...

The Gopher Men's Hockey team has NEVER won an NCAA Natl Title the same year that the Gopher Women's Team has won a Natl Title.

The women got upset by Clarkson this year when they were obviously favored, so it could mean we'll win the Men's Title.

Do we have a team that is capable of winning it all?! Yes. And unlike Yale last year, I do not think Robert Morris has the ability to win 4 games. So lets just hope this game isn't a repeat of Holy Cross.

And hey, let us be thankful it is Wisconsin getting screwed this year getting UND in the 1st round. WOW, what a horrible matchup for a 1st round game. That should be 2nd round action at the earliest.

One thing going for the team...
The Gopher Men's Hockey team has NEVER won an NCAA Natl Title the same year that the Gopher Women's Team has won a Natl Title.
The women got upset by Clarkson this year when they were obviously favored, so it could mean we'll win the Men's Title.

And hey, let us be thankful it is Wisconsin getting screwed this year getting UND in the 1st round. WOW, what a horrible matchup for a 1st round game. That should be 2nd round action at the earliest.
I don't understand your logic for the first part. Regarding uw/UND, they are the only two teams that were given a better matchup than expected. uw should be facing PWR#13, and gets #14. UND should be facing PWR#3, and gets #4.

Anything less than a finals appearance would be a complete disappointment.

Yeah....that was an unfortunate draw for them. Not that I care.

Nobody I want to beat more than UND. This is going to be an intense frozen four.

The NCAA has to be drooling over how the bracket broke for them. Should be a crazy frozen four

I hadn't voted in this poll prior to this morning, so I fessed up and voted where I actually expected the Gophers to end in the tournament. I fill out a bracket every year for a friendly wager and I usually do really well. This year I had the Gophers losing in the second game to Notre Dame. So happy to be wrong about that but man enough to "vote" for the second round loss in this poll this morning.

I wasn't convinced of the Gopher's play after the Robert Morris game. I thought they looked worse than what the score indicated. The big win over St. Cloud is another story... they looked really, really good last night and I hope that continues in the Frozen Four. Can hardly wait for that matchup with North Dakota.

Hopefully 64% of us will be right. Go gophers

Top Bottom