Minnesota To Host NCAA Men’s West Regional at Xcel Energy Center

Twynntown

Reaction score
The field for the 2014 NCAA Men's Hockey West Regional has been set and it includes some of the most recognizable programs in all of college hockey.

The region features Minnesota (25-6-6) of the Big Ten, Notre Dame (23-14-2) of Hockey East, St. Cloud State (21-10-5) of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) and Robert Morris (19-17-5) of the Atlantic Hockey Association (AHA).

The action gets underway at Xcel Energy Center on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. (CT), with Big Ten regular-season champion and the tournament’s No. 1-overall seed Minnesota facing AHA tournament champion and fourth-seeded Robert Morris on ESPN2. The second-seeded Irish of Notre Dame will meet third-seeded and NCHC regular-season champion St. Cloud State at 8 p.m. on ESPN2.

The winners of the two semifinal games will face each other at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 30 on ESPNU. The victorious team will advance to the 2014 NCAA Frozen Four, which is being held April 10-12 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

Each of four participating teams will host a free one-hour open practice at Xcel Energy Center on Friday, March 28. The open practice times are: 11:30 a.m. (Robert Morris), 12:45 p.m. (Minnesota), 2 p.m. (St. Cloud State) and 3:15 p.m. (Notre Dame).

All-session ticket packages for the 2014 NCAA Division I Men's Hockey West Regional, co-hosted by the University of Minnesota and Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, are priced at $94 (plus applicable fees).

In addition, a limited number of single-session tickets are available for the event. Single-session tickets, which are $57, go on sale Monday, March 24 at 10 a.m. Tickets are available at the Xcel Energy Center Box Office, Ticketmaster Ticket Centers, by calling 800-745-3000 or online at ncaa.com/tickets and ticketmaster.com. To charge by phone using Ticketmaster TDD/TTY, call 800-359-2525.

Students from the four participating schools are also available to purchase discounted tickets with a valid university email address here. The tickets are $26 (subject to applicable fees) and students may purchase up to four tickets per email address. Student tickets will also be available for purchase on March 29 and 30 at the Xcel Energy Center box office. Tickets will be available at the box office starting at 3:30 p.m. on March 29 and at 5:30 p.m. on March 30. Students may purchase up to four tickets with a valid student ID from one of the four participating universities.

For more information on the 2014 NCAA Hockey Division I Men's West Regional and the 2014 NCAA Division I Men's Hockey Championship please visit GopherSports.com, xcelenergycenter.com, and ncaa.com/frozenfour.

2014 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey West Regional

Saturday, March 24, 2014 - Xcel Energy Center - St. Paul, Minn.
4:30 p.m. - West Regional Semifinal #1
Robert Morris vs. Minnesota

8 p.m. - West Regional Semifinal #2
Notre Dame vs. St. Cloud State

Sunday, March 30, 2014 - Xcel Energy Center - St. Paul, Minn.
6:30 p.m. - West Regional Final

Information Courtesy of Gopher Athletics

Arrghh! Why did they have to place the Gophers and Huskies in the same regional?

Once again the Gophers have every advantage when it comes to playoffs, regionals, BIG Tourney, etc. (playing games in their back yard in front of a mostly home crowd).

What are the odds that they piss down their leg again?

I hate to be a negative Nelly, but I'm sick and tired of the Gophers having a huge advantage come playoff hockey time and then basically doing nothing with it.

Once again the Gophers have every advantage when it comes to playoffs, regionals, BIG Tourney, etc. (playing games in their back yard in front of a mostly home crowd).

I hate to be a negative Nelly, but I'm sick and tired of the Gophers having a huge advantage come playoff hockey time and then basically doing nothing with it.

If we get Holy Crossed by RMU, I think the Don's seat is going to start getting a little bit warmer.

With ticket prices even higher than Big10 tourney (where nobody showed up), I have a feeling we can expect about 5-7k Gopher fans is all this weekend. I'll be there with 3 others,but what is happening to our fan base? SHOW UP people. We're 4 wins from our 6th national title, and HUGE favorites in the 1st game, and slight favorites in every game after that

GO GOPHERS!

Get it done!

I don't understand it either. However, you see the same thing in basketball and football. Top teams tend to get tournament/bowl games in close proximity. I think that should be changed.

I don't understand it either. However, you see the same thing in basketball and football. Top teams tend to get tournament/bowl games in close proximity. I think that should be changed.

In hockey, they guaranty a team from the host city in a regional a spot in that regional if they make the tournament. They have enough trouble in most parts of the country filling seats, that they want the hometown fan base to buy tickets. You can make a fair argument that that is wrong and unfair, but unlike football and basketball, that is an explicitly stated policy for setting the tournament field.

The NCAA really gauged us on ticket prices this weekend. Back in 2012 it was something similar, and the championship game between MN and NoDak drew about 10k at most. We had a nice 1st round opponent in Boston that year too. Now with a 1st round match-up with Bob Morris, and no Nodak, what kind of crowd are people expecting?

I sadly think it wil be in the 7-9k range. St. Cloud should be good for a couple of grand, and gophers only 5-7k I'm guessing.

Really wish tickets weren't so high, and we could fill the X for the weekend, and get the home crowd rockin!

If we get Holy Crossed by RMU, I think the Don's seat is going to start getting a little bit warmer.

If the Don somehow losses to Bob Morris, I really think his seat should be more than just warm. One Frozen Four appearance since 2006. Yes I know he had appearances in 2002, 2003, and 2005.

My friend is an usher at the X, he just told me they are planning to close off the upper level for this weekend and only staff the lower level and club level as the ticket sales are so low.

My friend is an usher at the X, he just told me they are planning to close off the upper level for this weekend and only staff the lower level and club level as the ticket sales are so low.
This is not a new thing at the regionals. It happened in 2012.

I was glad to see this discussion because I looked into getting tickets yesterday and came away with the feeling... "No effing way, I'll watch in high def at home."

Why do they set ticket prices so high? I was thinking about going and bringing my kid but having gone in 2012 and remembering all the empty seats, it just seems WRONG to pay well over $100 to sit in an empty arena. At what point does supply and demand kick in to the point that someone does the calculation to see what makes more money: A full (or even 3/4 full) arena of customers buying concessions, or 6K people paying $60 per ticket in an arena where the entire upper levels are blocked off?

If they are going to charge that much, perhaps consider having it in Ritter Arena where they can have some atmosphere with such a small crowd

What a shame.

If our still newish, but not so new AD hasn't figured out how important hockey is at this school and in this state, he will if Robert Morris Holy Crosses us, at least Yale won the title last year and we were the only team to give them a game, but RMU might have a lower pairwise than Holy Cross did

If our still newish, but not so new AD hasn't figured out how important hockey is at this school and in this state, he will if Robert Morris Holy Crosses us, at least Yale won the title last year and we were the only team to give them a game, but RMU might have a lower pairwise than Holy Cross did

Agreed to the bold. As for the pairwise, I believe under the old pairwise formula (changed for this season), RMU would not have even been considered in the PWR.

Wisconsin goes down 5-2 after North Dakota scores three in the last 1:44.

Prices in advance were $65 per ticket (with fees)? Just got a call from a buddy down in front of X. He bought two on the Blue Line for $20 each on the street. The NCAA needs to take another look at their ticket prices. This is COLLEGE HOCKEY not the NHL.

Plus, it's a regional, not the Frozen Four.

Excellent - you don't cheer for UND as a Gopher fan often. This was one of those times.

The Hockey Hate Rankings:

1. Wisconsin
2. North Dakota
3. JBSU
4. Michigan
5. UMD

I really can't put the other 4 B1G teams in the hate rankings yet.

Top Bottom