2014 NCAA Tournament Thread: Buzzer Beaters, Bracket Busters & More...

Wisconsin, Kentucky, U Conn and Florida in the final four - BLECH!

Stupid MSU/Michigan

Pretty sure that Wisconsin vs. Kentucky is my worst case scenario.

Question: Will Kentucky ever be penalized by the NCAA for the "one and done pros" it recruits???? Isn't there some rule re graduation rates and scholarships or haven't the 'Cats reached that point?

Skunks advance to the final four and Sparty and Big Blue eliminated. Obviously, a great travesty has been committed where the powers that be are conspiring to hand the Grinch the title by eliminating the schools that stand the best chances of knocking them out. Egregious I say! EGREGIOUS! I demand a complete and thorough investigation concerning this injustice! I WANT ANSWERS!!! :cry:

Ideal results for Final Four:

Wisconsin vs. Kentucky - Meteor crashes into the arena.
UConn vs. Florida - Canceled due to meteor damage.

At least we don't have to worry about Wisconsin winning the championship, they'll lose to UK. I'm definitely rooting for UCONN to take it all the way now.

Question: Will Kentucky ever be penalized by the NCAA for the "one and done pros" it recruits???? Isn't there some rule re graduation rates and scholarships or haven't the 'Cats reached that point?

Kentucky falls into that untouchable group just like Duke, UNC and UCLA. The NCAA will probably hold out as long as they can before handing out any penalties for a program like Kentucky.

Or they'll just penalize Cleveland St. instead.

Asking me who I'd rather see win between Wisconsin and Kentucky is like asking me if I'd rather get kneed or punched in the junk. It sucks either way.

Gotta go with Kentucky. They are already rich. They already get the recruits. The nation is already in love (or hate) with them. The Vadgers have more to gain. Screw the "rising tide lifts all boats" BS about the B1G.

Kentucky falls into that untouchable group just like Duke, UNC and UCLA. The NCAA will probably hold out as long as they can before handing out any penalties for a program like Kentucky.

Or they'll just penalize Cleveland St. instead.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the big thing is the timeframe. The APR measures graduation rates within 6 years and Cal has only been there for 5 seasons. It's also always a couple of years in arrears. So look for Cal to jump to the NBA right around 2018.

This has been an outstanding tournament. However, if Kentucky makes the title game, I will have no interest in it. I'll start making the transition to MLB/Twins/Big Ten baseball that night.

This has been an outstanding tournament. However, if Kentucky makes the title game, I will have no interest in it. I'll start making the transition to MLB/Twins/Big Ten baseball that night.

Selection....I hope you're not too gun - Ho about the Twins. The boys of summer could lose 100 games.

Selection....I hope you're not too gun - Ho about the Twins. The boys of summer could lose 100 games.

Nope, not gung ho. Just looking forward to winter ending and seeing some outdoor baseball. Gophers-MSU baseball game Saturday was a beautiful day to watch baseball @ Siebert Field.

Huge disappointment for Michigan State this season. They were long considered frontrunners for the Final Four, many experts picked them to win the title when the brackets came out, and they fell short in the Elite 8 in a game that most everyone expected the Spartans to prevail. The thing that makes their loss even worse is this was supposed to be their year to possibly win the title and now they are going to be in a major rebuild mode with the loss of Payne, Appling and quite possibly Harris as well. Izzo's Final Four streak for all of his 4-year players is over, and he collected just his second loss in the Elite 8 in eight games (2003 being his other Elite 8 loss). I thought MSU had a real shot at winning the title - certainly the top teams in college basketball this season are more watered down than normal, and it was timed perfectly with one of MSU's better teams in recent years. Just goes to show you even Izzo has teams that disappoint. When you consider the preseason outlook, this MSU team was never supposed to lose 9 games, they were never supposed to be a #4 seed, they were never supposed to miss out on the Final Four. You can blame injuries for some of that but still to lose to UConn like they did showed they ultimately weren't as good as they were supposed to be.

Huge disappointment for Michigan State this season. They were long considered frontrunners for the Final Four, many experts picked them to win the title when the brackets came out, and they fell short in the Elite 8 in a game that most everyone expected the Spartans to prevail. The thing that makes their loss even worse is this was supposed to be their year to possibly win the title and now they are going to be in a major rebuild mode with the loss of Payne, Appling and quite possibly Harris as well. Izzo's Final Four streak for all of his 4-year players is over, and he collected just his second loss in the Elite 8 in eight games (2003 being his other Elite 8 loss). I thought MSU had a real shot at winning the title - certainly the top teams in college basketball this season are more watered down than normal, and it was timed perfectly with one of MSU's better teams in recent years. Just goes to show you even Izzo has teams that disappoint. When you consider the preseason outlook, this MSU team was never supposed to lose 9 games, they were never supposed to be a #4 seed, they were never supposed to miss out on the Final Four. You can blame injuries for some of that but still to lose to UConn like they did showed they ultimately weren't as good as they were supposed to be.

Their star PG and leader has been a shell of himself due to the injury. That's all the explanation needed. And made more difficult by a partisan crowd and a fired-up underdog, as well as a bit of overconfidence (obvious at the start that they underestimated UConn, and relaxed again when they went up 9).

I think they would've won it all with a healthy team, but that team needed Appling.

I agree with everything in this post, especially your final point about losing to UConn. The injuries were an issue for Michigan State all season, but all they had to do was beat an ok UConn team to make the final four. Izzo rarely loses games to teams he has more talent than in March, but he did today. I think Izzo will find a way for the Spartans to be solid next year, but their ceiling will be the lowest it has been in recent memory. If he ever were to take a shot at the NBA, you would think now would be the perfect time to do it. I have to wonder about Harris as a pro as he seems a bit undersized for a two guard and disappeared a lot this year.

Appling

Appling a former all conference guard had 2pts each against Harvard, Virginia, and UConn. He averaged 13 pts a game last year. That was the difference. Mich St. also had quite a few opportunities to throw it into Dawson who was playing the best basketball of his career and chose to go to Payne on the 3pt line in the second half, where he was forced to drive to the rim. Payne had a great tournament but so did Dawson and Dawson had 25lbs of muscle on Daniels? Coaching mistake?

Harris has all the tools to be a good sg. He is an inch or two short of ideal, but the NBA in recent years, is loaded with combo guards in the 6'3" range (Monte Ellis, E. Gordon, Waiters, Meeks) . I don't think he is a high lottery guy anymore. He would be a nice 3rd or 4th option on a good team.

I agree with everything in this post, especially your final point about losing to UConn. The injuries were an issue for Michigan State all season, but all they had to do was beat an ok UConn team to make the final four. Izzo rarely loses games to teams he has more talent than in March, but he did today. I think Izzo will find a way for the Spartans to be solid next year, but their ceiling will be the lowest it has been in recent memory. If he ever were to take a shot at the NBA, you would think now would be the perfect time to do it. I have to wonder about Harris as a pro as he seems a bit undersized for a two guard and disappeared a lot this year.

Kentucky vs Wisconsin. Kentucky is outrebounding everyone. Against Kansas St. 40-28, offensive 13 to 9. Against Wichita 32 to 23. off 10 to 4. Against Louisville 37 to 29, 15 to 11 off. And against Michigan, 35 to 24, 17 to 14 offensive.
Can Wisconsin keep them off the offensive glass? Is there anyway Dekker, 6-8 220 can keep Randle 6-9 250 off the glass? Will Wisconsin go big with Hayes and Dekker at the 3?

Top Bottom