QB situation at the U of M - i only go back at far as 1989 but

Status
Not open for further replies.

wait!what?

Reaction score
on the surface- UofM QB situation has not been this dire since........help me out with this one fellow holers. fleetwood/fest/rosga/schaffner of 89.

cmon. really?

Last year wasn't any better than this year. One QB with limited starts under his belt and no one else. Maybe the first year Cupito started (2004?) was as lean, since there was no other Div 1 QB on the team.

Last year?

Well played....actually the situation heading into this year is amazingly similar to last year. Returning starter with limited experience backed up by totally untested redshirt freshman.

Prior to these past 2 seasons we had a fairly long stretch where the #1 QB was well established with guys like Weber, Cupito and AAK after Travis Cole was no longer in the picture.

1989 no, but 2004.

Cupito was a redshirt sophomore entering 2004 with one career pass and not that it mattered at that point, was a two star recruit with his only BCS offer from Minnesota....two offers from two very good non BCS schools (miami/louisville).

Mason was concerned enough at the time to bring in six quarterbacks prior to Cupito's first career start.

Weber's first year as a starter was pretty dire. Any time you trot out a freshman as your starting QB the situation is pretty poor.

Weber's first year as a starter was pretty dire. Any time you trot out a freshman as your starting QB the situation is pretty poor.

If my memory is correct, I think the Gophers where 1-11 that year.

This year is better than last.

Last year?

I say that because as other have pointed out, the actual game day experience is similar to last year but Mitch will have one more spring and fall camp under his belt than Nelson had and we are better off in all of the other possessions than we where last year. A good WR/RB/TE will make a QB better than he would be alone. Yes, I know that is obvious, and I'm not saying we are going to be great this year at WR, but we are better off than we where at this point last year.

I gave the four roster qbs for 1989 and i'd like someone else to give me a worse qb roster than the shoff/fleetwood/rosga/earnst.

you can't take this coming years qb line up cuz that is essentially what i am getting at...yer stealing my td call.

1989 no, but 2004.

Cupito was a redshirt sophomore entering 2004 with one career pass and not that it mattered at that point, was a two star recruit with his only BCS offer from Minnesota....two offers from two very good non BCS schools (miami/louisville).

Mason was concerned enough at the time to bring in six quarterbacks prior to Cupito's first career start.

I think that last line sums it up pretty well lol.

I remember 1977.....that season is remembered for a lot of reasons: The wins over Michigan, UCLA, and Washington...Kent Kitzmann....the Hall of Fame Bowl....etc. Still, what
many may not remember was just how thin the quarterback position was that season.

When Cal Stoll recruited Tony Dungy, he had planned to redshirt him his freshman season in 1973. His goal was to have him as the senior quarterback for 1977. However,
he was forced to pull the redshirt off him in 1973 and throw him to the wolves (a 7-4 season, I might add). As a result, Dungy's career ended with the 1976 season (6-5).
One can only imagine what the 1977 team could have done with Dungy at the helm.

As a result, the Gophers went into 1977 with a solid defense, some good runners, and a solid kicking game, but no experience at qb....none.

Wendell Avery emerged as the starter, mostly. He could run but could not throw. Marc Trestman got some playing time as well, but turned out in the long
run to be a far superior coach than he was a player. They also had Mark Carlson, who led them to the Michigan win but eventually settled back as a sub
before becoming a solid passing quarterback later in his Gopher career.

With Dungy or any other experienced quarterback that year, the Gophers would have made a run at the Big 10 title that season.

I gave the four roster qbs for 1989 and i'd like someone else to give me a worse qb roster than the shoff/fleetwood/rosga/earnst.

Scott Schaffner threw 191 passes in 1988, 55% completion percentage, 7 TDs, 7 INTs, 3 rushing Tds. He wasn't out of this world, but had a lot of experience as the starter in 1989.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/93727?referrer_id=388419

According to this Gopherhole article, once the 2003 season was over, Minnesota had one quarterback on the roster. A sophomore with one career pass attempt.

"For the opener against Toledo, Minnesota lined up sophomore Bryan Cupito as the starter, JC transfer Adam Ernst as backup, and four true freshmen after that. "

Side note: with the team he had coming back in 2004 and with AAK and Kamrath graduating, you'd think Mase could've gotten Cupito a little more experience in one of those seven blowouts in 2003.

Scott Schaffner threw 191 passes in 1988. He wasn't out of this world, but had a lot of experience.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/93727?referrer_id=388419

According to this Gopherhole article, once the 2003 season was over, Minnesota had one quarterback on the roster. A sophomore with one career pass attempt.

"For the opener against Toledo, Minnesota lined up sophomore Bryan Cupito as the starter, JC transfer Adam Ernst as backup, and four true freshmen after that. "

the 04 is worse than the 89. don't know how i overlooked 04 being that bad. i recall bein excited about mortenson enought o blind me.

If you jump in the way back, and talk about Dungy. It was one game, at Illinois in a fog that stands out. Gil Fash a 5th year senior goes 2 for 11. But as they say it only takes one. TD. The more recent Senior who came off the bench with a big win was Benji Kamrath. He had Terry Jackson and Thomas Tapeh behind him. When they beat Northwestern they were 6-1 and 2-1 in the conference.

on the surface- UofM QB situation has not been this dire since........help me out with this one fellow holers. fleetwood/fest/rosga/schaffner of 89.

Just curious if you have been to any of the spring practices this year?

I remember 1977.....that season is remembered for a lot of reasons: The wins over Michigan, UCLA, and Washington...Kent Kitzmann....the Hall of Fame Bowl....etc. Still, what
many may not remember was just how thin the quarterback position was that season.

When Cal Stoll recruited Tony Dungy, he had planned to redshirt him his freshman season in 1973. His goal was to have him as the senior quarterback for 1977. However,
he was forced to pull the redshirt off him in 1973 and throw him to the wolves (a 7-4 season, I might add). As a result, Dungy's career ended with the 1976 season (6-5).
One can only imagine what the 1977 team could have done with Dungy at the helm.

As a result, the Gophers went into 1977 with a solid defense, some good runners, and a solid kicking game, but no experience at qb....none.

Wendell Avery emerged as the starter, mostly. He could run but could not throw. Marc Trestman got some playing time as well, but turned out in the long
run to be a far superior coach than he was a player. They also had Mark Carlson, who led them to the Michigan win but eventually settled back as a sub
before becoming a solid passing quarterback later in his Gopher career.

With Dungy or any other experienced quarterback that year, the Gophers would have made a run at the Big 10 title that season.

So you're telling me that Wendell Avery was the QB between Dungy and Trestman? If Kill ever moves on we should just automatically give the head coaching job to that guy... I mean he must have picked up something by osmosis.

I don't think bringing back a QB who played 50 % of the time on an 8-5 team is dire.

RashoLives- interesting perspective! Avery does coach....I wonder if he realized he was playing alongside two future NFL coaches?

Yeah but Trestman can only coach in Canada and is incapable of coaching in the US, especially for the Gophers. Didn't you read Gopherhole before Kill was hired?

I would say our situation was dire most of Weber's time here, and not due to Weber. With no backup and a porous o-line we were one tackle away from having no offense for his whole career. Brew would not have lasted three years without Weber and Decker, they were the only threats.

I would say our situation was dire most of Weber's time here, and not due to Weber. With no backup and a porous o-line we were one tackle away from having no offense for his whole career. Brew would not have lasted three years without Weber and Decker, they were the only threats.

Did Mason leave the oline and running back cupboard bare when he was asked to leave? Or did many of them decommit/transfer when Coach Brew came on board?

Did Mason leave the oline and running back cupboard bare when he was asked to leave? Or did many of them decommit/transfer when Coach Brew came on board?

As I recall, the only recruit of any significance to depart after Mason was fired was Greg Jones, who went on to have a stellar career at Michigan State.

The cupboard would have been nearly as bare if Mason had stayed on. His last three recruiting classes had a few good players, but were mostly made up of overmatched players.

Mason and his staff would have continued to COACH players up and develop them for his system year by year. Brewster was not capable of coaching up players and very unfortunately constantly changed the offense, year after year. Much that happened in the 3 1/2 years following Mason would not have happened IF Mason would have still been there OR a capable Coach with a stable staff and a single STRONG philosophy of an offense would have taken over for Mason. Within three years time, a good, solid coach could have produced a much better conference record than the conference record Brewster produced.

What happened to Brewster was ALL on Brewster and the chaos he presided over during his entire time at the University of Minnesota. The brewball era was all about constant change and the chaos constant change produces. It was NOT about the student athletes a fired coach left him three and a half years earlier. Brewster was able to recruit a heck of a lot of players but he could NOT coach them. Even assuming that virtually all recruits red-shirt, by the end of the 4th season (Brewster had 3 1/2 seasons on board) about 80% of the players on the team would have turned over and Brewster certainly had more than enough time to put his own signature on the make-up of the players on the team.

Not every Gopher Football Fan was born yesterday. EVERY University of Minnesota head Football Coach is responsible for himself and his record. It has always been that way, and always will be that way.

Avery was fun to watch, when he was on, he was good. Was Avery the QB who lead us back to the win at home vs Indiana when we were down something like 35-7 at the half?
Firing Stoll was a big mistake. He could find players. Salem was a really good coach, but he was not ready to recruit BigTen players, and by the time he figured it out it was too late.

I am glad you asked that question. You are one of the very few GopherHolers ever to ask it. Almost everyone assumes that Brewster was left with enough players to produce another typical Mason 6-6 season. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Gopher's starting line-up against Michigan in 2007

Pos ## Offense

WR 1 Wheelwright, E. - Senior
WR 7 Decker, Eric - Sophmore
LT 64 Shidell, Steve - Senior
LG 52 Tow-Arnett,Jeff - Sophmore
C 77 Brinkhaus, Tony - Senior
LG 53 Burris, D.J. - RS Freshman
RT 76 Alford, Dominic - RS Freshman

WR 81 Spry, Ralph - True Freshman
WR 6 Herndon, Tray - True Freshman
QB 8 Weber, Adam - RS Freshman
RB 22 Bennett, Duane - True Freshman

Pos ## Defense

LE Henderson, Ray - Sophmore
LT Allen, Neel - Senior
RT Meisel, Todd - Senior
RE Campbell, Lee - Sophmore
SLB Davis, Steve - Junior
MLB Hightower, Deon - Junior
WLB Mannion, Kevin - Junior
CB Theret, Kyle - True Freshman
FS Thomas, Curtis - True Freshman

SS Barber, Dom - Senior
CB Collado, Ryan - True Freshman

I am glad you asked that question. You are one of the very few GopherHolers ever to ask it. Almost everyone assumes that Brewster was left with enough players to produce another typical Mason 6-6 season. Nothing could be further from the truth. Gopher's starting line-up against Michigan in 2007 Pos ## Offense WR 1 Wheelwright, E. - Senior WR 7 Decker, Eric - Sophmore LT 64 Shidell, Steve - Senior LG 52 Tow-Arnett,Jeff - Sophmore C 77 Brinkhaus, Tony - Senior LG 53 Burris, D.J. - RS Freshman RT 76 Alford, Dominic - RS Freshman WR 81 Spry, Ralph - True Freshman WR 6 Herndon, Tray - True Freshman QB 8 Weber, Adam - RS Freshman RB 22 Bennett, Duane - True Freshman Pos ## Defense LE Henderson, Ray - Sophmore LT Allen, Neel - Senior RT Meisel, Todd - Senior RE Campbell, Lee - Sophmore SLB Davis, Steve - Junior MLB Hightower, Deon - Junior WLB Mannion, Kevin - Junior CB Theret, Kyle - True Freshman FS Thomas, Curtis - True Freshman SS Barber, Dom - Senior CB Collado, Ryan - True Freshman

Are you suggesting that Mason would have started nine freshman against Michigan had he stayed?

I am glad you asked that question. You are one of the very few GopherHolers ever to ask it. Almost everyone assumes that Brewster was left with enough players to produce another typical Mason 6-6 season. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Gopher's starting line-up against Michigan in 2007

Pos ## Offense

WR 1 Wheelwright, E. - Senior
WR 7 Decker, Eric - Sophmore
LT 64 Shidell, Steve - Senior
LG 52 Tow-Arnett,Jeff - Sophmore
C 77 Brinkhaus, Tony - Senior
LG 53 Burris, D.J. - RS Freshman
RT 76 Alford, Dominic - RS Freshman

WR 81 Spry, Ralph - True Freshman
WR 6 Herndon, Tray - True Freshman
QB 8 Weber, Adam - RS Freshman
RB 22 Bennett, Duane - True Freshman

Pos ## Defense

LE Henderson, Ray - Sophmore
LT Allen, Neel - Senior
RT Meisel, Todd - Senior
RE Campbell, Lee - Sophmore
SLB Davis, Steve - Junior
MLB Hightower, Deon - Junior
WLB Mannion, Kevin - Junior
CB Theret, Kyle - True Freshman
FS Thomas, Curtis - True Freshman

SS Barber, Dom - Senior
CB Collado, Ryan - True Freshman

Great post but has this post been cleared by wren? If it hasn't, we expect another long diatribe from him. You would think by now Glen would have fired wren as his PR man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom