2014 Fired Coaches Watch Thread: 3/20 Wake, Auburn, BC, VT, Wazzu all fired

I could see Tubby ending his career where he started it. Would suck for TT though.

I don't think VCU would be interested in Tubby if Smart leaves.

since you never miss a chance to correct even the slightest hint of someone not being 100% factual, you do realize that tubby did not start his career at vcu, right?

since you never miss a chance to correct even the slightest hint of someone not being 100% factual, you do realize that tubby did not start his career at vcu, right?

DPO is trying to get someone to take the bait. As he pointed out, Tubby did start his coaching career at VCU. His first head coaching job was Tulsa.

I understood what Madtown meant, though. He meant Tubby's head coaching career.

I don't think VCU would be interested in Tubby if Smart leaves.

Do you really think he's going to end his career as an assistant? :rolleyes:

And if you were going to be such a smart ass about it you could have at least said Great Mills High School.

Too bad...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/ISUMayor32">@ISUMayor32</a> no factor in Wolves coaching carousel. Timing not right.</p>— Dan Barreiro (@DanBarreiroKFAN) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanBarreiroKFAN/statuses/456527414319783937">April 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Too bad...

Go Gophers!!

Indeed. Too bad for the Wolves most of all.

Goes to show that not only doesn't that franchise not recognize young playing talent when they see it (poor drafting), they also don't recognize coaching potential when they have it under their nose (Hoiberg working down there for years).

Indeed. Too bad for the Wolves most of all. Goes to show that not only doesn't that franchise not recognize young playing talent when they see it (poor drafting), they also don't recognize coaching potential when they have it under their nose (Hoiberg working down there for years).

What about Richard Pitino for their next coach? Wait. Is this the wrong thread for that?

Indeed. Too bad for the Wolves most of all.

Goes to show that not only doesn't that franchise not recognize young playing talent when they see it (poor drafting), they also don't recognize coaching potential when they have it under their nose (Hoiberg working down there for years).

I suspect for his next coach, Flip will look into his bathroom mirror. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I suspect for his next coach, Flip will look into his bathroom mirror. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Sounds like the owner won't allow that. Sorry, wrong forum, but good luck trying to interest anyone good in coaching that team.

Sounds like the owner won't allow that. Sorry, wrong forum, but good luck trying to interest anyone good in coaching that team.

What's wrong with that team? Finish season around .500 in the west, with injuries up and down the line up, fairly young squad with talent, with a rookie who emerged late as maybe the best rookie in his class. Twolves job probably going to be one of best gigs available this summer. Yes I'm a twolves fan, so maybe I'm a little biased but I don't see why a good coach would not want that job with the talent they have on the roster

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Tapatalk

What's wrong with that team? Finish season around .500 in the west, with injuries up and down the line up, fairly young squad with talent, with a rookie who emerged late as maybe the best rookie in his class. Twolves job probably going to be one of best gigs available this summer. Yes I'm a twolves fan, so maybe I'm a little biased but I don't see why a good coach would not want that job with the talent they have on the roster

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Tapatalk

The obvious curse and the impending/eventual departure of Love. Add to that that Saunders hasn't shown any better ability to draft than Kahn. You do a good job painting some lipstick on it, though; you should work in marketing over there.

Yep, unfortunately still have the vibe that Love is out of here at first opportunity, and can't say I blame him. See nothing to indicate this franchise is anywhere close to being anything more than a one-and-done #7 or #8 seed in the West. Granted, he's only been the GM for a short time, but Flip hasn't shown anything leading me to believe things will be all that different. He's a great listen on the radio with Barreiero, though.

Dieng has had a nice little stretch, but calling him "maybe the best rookie in his class" is preposterous and nothing but blind homerism.

Dieng has had a nice little stretch, but calling him "maybe the best rookie in his class" is preposterous and nothing but blind homerism.

I really don't think it's all that preposterous. The rookie class was awful this year, maybe the worst ever. When Dieng was finally given playing time he won rookie of the month, so why is it such a crazy statement?

Tennessee fans over on volnation are saying they want Flubby. Lol

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I really don't think it's all that preposterous. The rookie class was awful this year, maybe the worst ever. When Dieng was finally given playing time he won rookie of the month, so why is it such a crazy statement?

The best player in this class will most likely be MCW, Giannis, or Oladipo. 99.9% of NBA analysts would choose one of the 3 over Dieng. There would probably be even more players slotted ahead of Dieng, like Hardaway Jr. Just because a 24 year old rookie puts up decent numbers the last few weeks of the season doesn't mean they should be considered the best in their class.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The best player in this class will most likely be MCW, Giannis, or Oladipo. 99.9% of NBA analysts would choose one of the 3 over Dieng. There would probably be even more players slotted ahead of Dieng, like Hardaway Jr. Just because a 24 year old rookie puts up decent numbers the last few weeks of the season doesn't mean they should be considered the best in their class.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I highlighted the word that makes your statement irrelevant. The rookie of the year isn't a futures award. It's based on performance as a rookie - hence the name. Who analysts would take in the future is also irrelevant to who had the best performance as a rookie. Further, the age of the player putting up the numbers is also irrelevant.

Who said anything about the rookie of the year?

+1

And if we are talking ROY, you have to do it for more than the last few weeks of the season too.

"Best rookie in his class" = "rookie of the year". Two different ways of saying the same thing. "Best rookie" does not equal "best player in the future." I also never said that Dieng should or would win the award.

This thread has gotten way off topic. We encourage NBA Rookie of the Year talk on the OT board and would like to keep this thread on coaching changes as they continue to evolve. Thanks.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Multiple sources have told <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSports">@CBSSports</a> that Missouri’s Frank Haith is now involved in Tulsa’s coaching search. Story coming …</p>— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/statuses/456861307342290944">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Multiple sources have told <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSports">@CBSSports</a> that Missouri’s Frank Haith is now involved in Tulsa’s coaching search. Story coming …</p>— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/statuses/456861307342290944">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Would be similar to Alford leaving Iowa for New Mexico? Haith beating the posse out of town?

Is Tulsa really that good of a coaching destination? always thought of them as mediocre midmajor gig, guess I was naive

Haith has a history of being dirty and Tulsa is in the new AAC which has the national champion.

Tulsa has always been where coaches come from (Nolan Richardson, Tubby, Self, Danny Manning) and not where they end up, but maybe it shapes up as a nice landing spot.

Top Bottom