2014 Fired Coaches Watch Thread: 3/20 Wake, Auburn, BC, VT, Wazzu all fired

MadtownGopher

Reaction score

IUPUI just fired their head coach. Maybe we should raid their incoming class. Haha.

Good idea for a thread.

How has Maine coach Ted Woodward not been fired yet? Has not won an America East Tournament game since 2005. That's 9 straight one-and-outs in a crappy conference. Worst and laziest coach in college basketball.

An interesting Gopher angle to the Auburn firing is that Ryan Miller (I believe he's Mike's brother) was a candidate for a position on Coach Pitino's staff with some speculating that he was offered a job.

That's right, I think I remember reading that he was a big international recruiter as well. I'm guessing he was key in bringing in Jack Purchase, an Australian kid.

vultures.jpg

Appalachian State fired Jason Capel and will likely release Devonte Graham who was the controversial recruit who wanted out of his commitment after his recruitment picked up, but Capel said no. Graham attends Brewster Academy which is where Mo Walker played.

Go Gophers!!

Could JT3 be in trouble at G'town after tonight. Guessing the Hoyas bubble just burst after losing to Depaul

Could JT3 be in trouble at G'town after tonight. Guessing the Hoyas bubble just burst after losing to Depaul

That would be pretty surprising given his last name, but I really don't follow their program enough to know how hot his seat is.

I'm still hoping Romar gets fired from UW, that would be absolutely huge for us.

That would be pretty surprising given his last name, but I really don't follow their program enough to know how hot his seat is.

I'm still hoping Romar gets fired from UW, that would be absolutely huge for us.

If you think its huge because of piper, I'd argue you could be mistaken, seems like with piper he would pick washington because they are the hometown school, not because of Romar, in fact I think that is our edge, We have a better coach, if washington gets a new coach it could seal the deal for them because they sell the program is up and coming now

I am very surprised at how underwhelming Romar has been as a coach. He regularly brings in solid recruiting classes but does hardly anything with them.

I wonder if Pitino's agent is on the phone with Doogie yet turning the Auburn opening into a contract extension. Nah. Probably not til next year.

How has Maine coach Ted Woodward not been fired yet? Has not won an America East Tournament game since 2005. That's 9 straight one-and-outs in a crappy conference. Worst and laziest coach in college basketball.

Heh. That's pretty much the million dollar question around these parts. ;)

I honestly don't know how any Division-1 coach with a lifetime won-loss record of 98-167 over ten seasons (that being a lusty winning % of .370, and he's been even worse in a weak America East) can continue to maintain his job, but I suspect it might have something to do with a nearly overwhelming sense of apathy regarding U-Maine basketball here (as Maine is one of only 16 schools who have been members of division-1 in basketball for at least 30 years to have never made an NCAA tournament), as in people have become so dulled and mentally fatigued by all the losing that they just don't bother to even care much anymore, and as collegiately speaking, this is first and foremost a hockey state, and massively so, with Black Bears football placing a far distant second behind that, and basketball ranking right down there along the likes of golf or tennis or what have you, but how obviously, that sense of apathy has only been furthered and made all the worse by just how horrible this guy has been, but I'll tell you what, if and when Maine Black Bears basketball were to ever make an NCAA tournament, this state would go absolutely fricken nuts, and rightfully so.

But I really feel like this season, he has bottomed-out so badly that his job is in serious jeopardy, such that I'd be shocked if he survived. That's what happens when you go 6-23, while leading a school to its worst record in 57 years will do to you. And what should add even further to Woodward's discomfort is the fact Maine's new AD, Karlton Creech, who was just hired in January from North Carolina, he was the assistant AD at UNC, and for a guy coming from a basketball shrine like that to a traveshamockery of a program like this, I cannot possibly see Woodward surviving.

If you think its huge because of piper, I'd argue you could be mistaken, seems like with piper he would pick washington because they are the hometown school, not because of Romar, in fact I think that is our edge, We have a better coach, if washington gets a new coach it could seal the deal for them because they sell the program is up and coming now
Yeah, that theory worked out well for us with Travis ;)

It's the type of thing that only works against us and never for us. How long have you been a gopher fan? :)

I think Guy is right.

If you don't think Romar getting fired would help us, you're crazy. If Piper was that intent on going to UW no matter what, he would have committed a long time ago.

If you don't think Romar getting fired would help us, you're crazy. If Piper was that intent on going to UW no matter what, he would have committed a long time ago.

Jane, you ignorant slut...

Good point.

How soon before Tubby's name comes up?

Our Pitino will get a raise before next season.

Heh. That's pretty much the million dollar question around these parts.

I honestly don't know how any Division-1 coach with a lifetime won-loss record of 98-167 over ten seasons (that being a lusty winning % of .370, and he's been even worse in a weak America East) can continue to maintain his job, but I suspect it might have something to do with a nearly overwhelming sense of apathy regarding U-Maine basketball here (as Maine is one of only 16 schools who have been members of division-1 in basketball for at least 30 years to have never made an NCAA tournament), as in people have become so dulled and mentally fatigued by all the losing that they just don't bother to even care much anymore, and as collegiately speaking, this is first and foremost a hockey state, and massively so, with Black Bears football placing a far distant second behind that, and basketball ranking right down there along the likes of golf or tennis or what have you, but how obviously, that sense of apathy has only been furthered and made all the worse by just how horrible this guy has been, but I'll tell you what, if and when Maine Black Bears basketball were to ever make an NCAA tournament, this state would go absolutely fricken nuts, and rightfully so.

But I really feel like this season, he has bottomed-out so badly that his job is in serious jeopardy, such that I'd be shocked if he survived. That's what happens when you go 6-23, while leading a school to its worst record in 57 years will do to you. And what should add even further to Woodward's discomfort is the fact Maine's new AD, Karlton Creech, who was just hired in January from North Carolina, he was the assistant AD at UNC, and for a guy coming from a basketball shrine like that to a traveshamockery of a program like this, I cannot possibly see Woodward surviving.

I believe Steve Abbott signed Woodward to a 5 year double secret extension before he returned to congress.

nope, you got it backwards, if he likes Romar, he would have committed by now,The reason he hasn't is likely because we have the better coach and better outlook, they get rid of Romar, they can sell how they are done with their losing ways and want start a new era of good basketball, and he can be part of the beginning for this new era for the hometown school. We already know he has HUGE interest in representing his state, whats holding him back from committing is Romar, and the lack of success they have had, if he really likes Romar he would have committed by now

nope, you got it backwards, if he likes roman, he would have committed by now,The reason he hasn't is likely because we have the better coach and better outlook, they get rid of Roman, they can sell how they are done with their losing ways and want start a new era of good basketball, and he can be part of the beginning for this new era for the hometown school. We already know he has HUGE interest in representing is state, whats holding him back from committing is Roman, and the lack of success they have had, if he really likes Roman he would have committed by now

This all has be wondering...who the heck is Roman?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Stan Heath has been let go at South Florida, sources told ESPN.</p>— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/statuses/444537183173877760">March 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

S. Florida had two 4 star big men in their 2013 class. Pitino is probably aware of them since they are FL kids. Would be nice transfer targets since they could step in right as EE and Mo graduate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If we are going to use a scholarship on non-grad transfer (meaning he'd have to sit out a year) I want it to be a center, which is a position we don't need right away next year, but will desperately need the year after, so having someone who can sit out and learn the system would be HUGE for us, I'd actually probably prefer taking that approach than taking on a guy like konate or less talented big, if the guy is better than Konate, like Egbunu from USF, it would also help out balancing class sizes

ESPN: Va. Tech fires James Johnson After Two Seasons

The Virginia Tech Hokies have decided to part ways with James Johnson after just two seasons.

Johnson, a former Hokies assistant, was hired to replace Seth Greenberg in 2012 and has struggled in two seasons, winning 13 games a year ago and finishing 9-22 this season. Virginia Tech lost to Miami on Wednesday in the first round of the ACC tourney.

"I want to thank Coach Johnson for his dedication and hard work for our university and our basketball program over the past seven years," athletic director Whit Babcock said in a statement released by the university. "A change of this significance affects many people and is never taken lightly, but I felt a change and a new direction was necessary for the long term, best interest of our department."

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10622536&src=desktop

Go Gophers!!

ESPN: Va. Tech fires James Johnson After Two Seasons

The Virginia Tech Hokies have decided to part ways with James Johnson after just two seasons.

Johnson, a former Hokies assistant, was hired to replace Seth Greenberg in 2012 and has struggled in two seasons, winning 13 games a year ago and finishing 9-22 this season. Virginia Tech lost to Miami on Wednesday in the first round of the ACC tourney.

"I want to thank Coach Johnson for his dedication and hard work for our university and our basketball program over the past seven years," athletic director Whit Babcock said in a statement released by the university. "A change of this significance affects many people and is never taken lightly, but I felt a change and a new direction was necessary for the long term, best interest of our department."

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10622536&src=desktop

Go Gophers!!

Admittedly two bad seasons, but that does seem like a short leash. It's Virginia Tech. It's not exactly a premier job...

Top Bottom