Former Badgers/Hawkeyes big man Sam Okey now hairstylist with Absolute Hair in Wausau

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per a profile on Okey who coming out of HS and early college was dominant:

“To be honest, I wouldn’t change anything. When I transferred to Iowa, I met some great people and made friends over there. I played overseas, I had a chance to try out for the NBA, but it didn’t happen,” said Okey, who is married, lives in Schofield and is a hairstylist with Absolute Hair in Wausau. “I have no regrets."

http://host.madison.com/sports/high...041-5b34-ade7-2eae2671f794.html#ixzz2vgTFJA1f

Go Gophers!!

I am glad that he appears to be happy, but lets be honest here...What McDz All American/All B10 performer is happy with cutting hair in some podunk WI town for 10 bucks an hour? He has to look back and see players in that game and players who he bested on the regular in the B10, whom are financially set for life and wonder what happened/went wrong...AMIRITE?

I am glad that he appears to be happy, but lets be honest here...What McDz All American/All B10 performer is happy with cutting hair in some podunk WI town for 10 bucks an hour? He has to look back and see players in that game and players who he bested on the regular in the B10, whom are financially set for life and wonder what happened/went wrong...AMIRITE?

yes, 100%

See. And you guys always say there is no industry for those kids who go to 'Sconie to enter after college.

Sharpened his elbows before every game at both Wisconsin and Iowa. Total hack on the floor.

As someone who saw him play more than a few times in HS, I must say, at the time, I thought he was the greatest player ever. He had NO equal in the state his junior and senior year.

Admittedly, I didn't know who Sam Okey was so I googled him. Saw this on YouTube and thought I'd have to share. 1995 McDonald's All American game that featured KG, Paul Pierce, Stephon Marbury, Vince Carter, Chauncey Billups, Antawn Jamison, etc. (oh yeah, and Sam Okey).

Pothead whiner.

Have a buddy who was coaching in the Wisconsin high school ranks at the time Okey was playing, and he was known universally as "Smokey, Okey Dokey". The dude was a chain-smoking high-level athlete, and the Wisconsin HS coaching ranks were disappointed that he didn't come anywhere near maximizing his ability.

Admittedly, I didn't know who Sam Okey was so I googled him. Saw this on YouTube and thought I'd have to share. 1995 McDonald's All American game that featured KG, Paul Pierce, Stephon Marbury, Vince Carter, Chauncey Billups, Antawn Jamison, etc. (oh yeah, and Sam Okey).

Funny, I must've watched that video 2 or 3 times and didn't see the Sam Okey highlights. I'll have to go look again.

And good Lord was Garnett a beast against high school kids.

Funny, I must've watched that video 2 or 3 times and didn't see the Sam Okey highlights. I'll have to go look again.

And good Lord was Garnett a beast against high school kids.

Crazy to think how highly he was regarded and where he is now. I just looked and the starting lineup for the East was Carter, Marbury, Abdur-Rahim, Mercer and Sam Okey.

When he played for La Crosse's CBA team around 2000, he went up to Winona one weekend and knocked out cold a friend (he went to Winona St) of mine at the time in one punch. That's my Sam Okey story.

When he played for La Crosse's CBA team around 2000, he went up to Winona one weekend and knocked out cold a friend (he went to Winona St) of mine at the time in one punch. That's my Sam Okey story.

With his elbow?

See. And you guys always say there is no industry for those kids who go to 'Sconie to enter after college.

I believe he ended his career at Iowa...but I was never a huge fan of Okey. I think we both know Sconny is a wonderful institution so save your rags for another school.

I saw Okey play as a Freshman at Cassville, WI high school. The kid just dominated the competition - did whatever he wanted. It wasn't up to the level of Mark Olberding at the same age, but playing against small-town teams, Okey put on a show.

For what it's worth, I also saw Kyle Korver play as a Freshman in Pella, IA - and Okey was much more advanced at the same age. Different type of player - Okey was more of a slasher and driver - Korver, even then, sat outside and launched 3's. If you would have asked me at the time, I would have said Okey had a better chance of going pro - but Korver got the most out of his ability.

Top Bottom