All Things Brad Davison Recruitment Thread

I agree with your premise that many players would be against redshirting. However, Wisconsin routinely has redshirts for basketball - I know it's not the norm elsewhere, but it is there. The prime current example is Ethan Happ who redshirted in the 14-15 season when he would have been stuck behind Kaminsky, as well as Hayes and Dukan. It allowed him to practice against really good competition and put a year of work in the weight room. There have been many others in the past, going back to Brian Butch. Guys like Illikainen and Thomas are similar to Happ in that they're expected to be major contributors when it's "their turn", but there is a logjam of experienced players ahead of them and they have a long ways to go to be considered NBA-caliber. Only 60 guys get drafted each year - about a third are from overseas, and second rounders rarely pan out. The fringe 100-150 guys - which is who we're talking about here - aren't very likely to be leaving early. They have to develop. Whether a kid has the maturity to recognize that is a different question.

Some guys who see the writing on the wall in terms of low playing time choose to transfer, e.g., Riley Dearring and George Marshall (who did pretty well at So Dak St. getting them to the tourney). If Ilk and Thomas don't want to wait until it's their turn, they might transfer like Jarrod Uthoff did (who also redshirted at Wisconsin).
Ya, but they all redshirted as freshman, which isn't that uncommon for big men in college basketball, you don't see too many sophomores or juniors voluntarily redshirt without injury. Also while the odds are against them, most of these guys believe they will be one of the 60 someday and they don't want to jeopardize that

Try watching a game.

We might miss a lot of shots, but one thing has been consistent (outside of final 2 minutes of many close games) we get pretty damn decent looks at the net, consistently.

We haven't lost Davison yet. edit: just saw he committed And the only way this is a "miss" is if Pitino doesn't get one of the 3 or 4 guards we are actively recruiting.

Coaches make choices about players all the time. it's not like there is a "rating" like in a video game that they can see a kids going to be xyz player. This is a judgement call, and none of us know how this will turn out yet.

I would ask you the same question: Are you watching the games? They take a lot of really bad shots for a Big Ten team. They have been very undisciplined on offense under Pitino. Think about some of the crap Buggs was allowed to throw up the last three years, or Gilbert last year, you can go on and on. You have to have on some really thick golden glasses to see otherwise. It's been a big problem.

I would ask you the same question: Are you watching the games? They take a lot of really bad shots for a Big Ten team. They have been very undisciplined on offense under Pitino. Think about some of the crap Buggs was allowed to throw up the last three years, or Gilbert last year, you can go on and on. You have to have on some really thick golden glasses to see otherwise. It's been a big problem.

There was no offensive system under the previous regime. What you describe was not a system or game planning problem, but a result of being left with no upperclassmen leaders for a couple of seasons due to the coaching switch. Gilbert took very few shots until the last three games of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, but they all redshirted as freshman, which isn't that uncommon for big men in college basketball, you don't see too many sophomores or juniors voluntarily redshirt without injury. Also while the odds are against them, most of these guys believe they will be one of the 60 someday and they don't want to jeopardize that
True, not a lot of non-injured non-frosh redshirt. This situation, however, may be the exception.

The flip side of this is that a team may not want redshirt players. Keeping marginal contributors for an extra year doesn't allow you to replace the roster spot with possibly a more promising recruit in the 5th year. It can also throw off the balance of the classes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Any young man who chooses WI has had a lot of info about how things work there including the red shirt policy.
If they do not think that they like how things go there they choose not to to come.And many quality WI players have done that.
Or they can leave.
It has not seemed to be a major impediment in getting enough quality players to have had a record over the last decade or so that Gopher BB fans would die for.

The Badgers currently have two players in the rotation who took a non-injury redshirt during their second season in the program, Jordan Hill and Zak Showalter.

Mr. Davison, if UW was your dream school growing up in MN, good luck and good riddance.

There was no offensive system under the previous regime. What you describe was not a system or game planning problem, but a result of being left with no upperclassmen leaders for a couple of seasons due to the coaching switch. Gilbert took very few shots until the last three games of the season.

We aren't seriously trying to use Tubby as an excuse three years later are we? That lack of an offensive system was good enough to go to the big dance three times here. In the meantime our program has gone nowhere but down since he left while he has taken yet another team to the tournament. I'm not trying to defend him or start a Tubby vs Pitino debate, but I find it pretty funny and a little bit sad to see how a few fans still want to bash Tubby and blame him for our problems. It's time to move on

We aren't seriously trying to use Tubby as an excuse three years later are we? That lack of an offensive system was good enough to go to the big dance three times here. In the meantime our program has gone nowhere but down since he left while he has taken yet another team to the tournament. I'm not trying to defend him or start a Tubby vs Pitino debate, but I find it pretty funny and a little bit sad to see how a few fans still want to bash Tubby and blame him for our problems. It's time to move on

I'm not bashing. It's ****ing difficult to field a tourney team when Charles buggs is your sole member of two recruiting classes.

This thread should be dead. Start a "All things Wisconsin basketball thread" somewhere other than GopherHole.

Yeah, let's stymie the only activity on this board in the last month related to basketball not related to firing people and sex or assault.

I agree with your premise that many players would be against redshirting. However, Wisconsin routinely has redshirts for basketball - I know it's not the norm elsewhere, but it is there.

Yeah, I haven't gone back to look but I'd bet Wisconsin averages about one scholarship redshirt player per year. Outside of that I'd challenge you to find another team in BCS college basketball that averages more than 1 redshirt every 3 years in the program. We had Buggs, and Eliason in the last 10 years at MN (I think I'm missing someone.)

Edit: I wonder if things will change now that the grinch is no longer running the show?

Unbelievable...staff just brought in a top 25 class for 2016 and don't get a kid who is probably a better fit elsewhere, all of a sudden they aren't "particularly good at anything".

They have 2 scholarships available and if he was our 1 or 2 choice, then it's bad losing him to border state. I don't think he was. My concern is that we are not going to get our guys committed until closer to signing day which runs the risk of losing out completely.

At this time seven B1G school have committed players, seven don't.

The Badgers currently have two players in the rotation who took a non-injury redshirt during their second season in the program, Jordan Hill and Zak Showalter.

I had a bigger post listing off all of the people that took red shirts. I am not close enough to the program to state whether they were injury related or not, but they've graduated quite a few people that spent 5 years on campus over the past 10 seasons.

I've mentioned in many past threads. Amir was a blessing that brought Curry in with. This is not a bad thing, but I don't expect it to be consistent. Coffey was just not elite enough to be taken by most bluebloods and he was a legacy with a dad that wanted him to stay around.

Haha, just give absolutely no credit to the staff for Coffey and Curry. You're really gonna downplay Coffey's offer list? Have you forgotten it? http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Amir-Coffey-26627/RecruitInterests

Haha, just give absolutely no credit to the staff for Coffey and Curry. You're really gonna downplay Coffey's offer list? Have you forgotten it? http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Amir-Coffey-26627/RecruitInterests

No question the staff deserves some credit for that. (Though I would add that we shouldn't be naive and ignore our built-in advantages there.) I still think the best recruiting job by the staff was getting Murphy to stay this year. We weren't his first choice to begin with and after his freshman he surely would have had a chance to jump ship for an upper-tier program. Wouldn't have blamed him if he jumped ship. Convincing him to stay was impressive.

My take is that 90% of coaches at the U would have been able to get Coffey. His dad wanted him to stay after Hoiberg left. That's not a knock on Pitino. He's doing a decent job otherwise in recruiting.

My point was that we're rarely going to be top 25 in recruiting. Pat Pitino on the back for Coffey and move on because it won't be the norm unless we get successful fast or improve facilities. There will be another Coffey-type player that wants to stay in a few years. We will get one every once in a while.

My take is that 90% of coaches at the U would have been able to get Coffey. His dad wanted him to stay after Hoiberg left. That's not a knock on Pitino. He's doing a decent job otherwise in recruiting.

My point was that we're rarely going to be top 25 in recruiting. Pat Pitino on the back for Coffey and move on because it won't be the norm unless we get successful fast or improve facilities. There will be another Coffey-type player that wants to stay in a few years. We will get one every once in a while.

What program gets top tier recruits without being successful or having great facilities? Water is wet. And this program can perenially be in the top 25 in recruiting. I'm glad Scott Drew at Baylor didn't have this mindset when he first took the Baylor job.

I would think Matthew Hurt would be the next elite player we have a reasonable shot at, but with him looking like a top 10, that is far from certain. Doesn't sound like we have a real shot with Tre, right?..

What program gets top tier recruits without being successful or having great facilities? Water is wet. And this program can perenially be in the top 25 in recruiting. I'm glad Scott Drew at Baylor didn't have this mindset when he first took the Baylor job.

Sure, if we strip any requirements of character or academics to get in we can recruit like Baylor athletics. They've also dumped a lot of money in lately.

we're not going to routinely be top 25 for a while. It's ok. You can still build up your team.

I doubt we have a chance with Tre but there are three instate recruits I would love to see in maroon and gold for 2018, Kalschuer, Thompson, and Oturu. 2018 will be a big class and getting these three would be a great start to that class.

The building blocks are there:
Murphy and McBrayer are Sophomore's
Curry, Coffey, and Hurt are Freshman.

The well is not running dry like it was when Tubby left, just have to keep the players currently enrolled and add a few more. I see no reason we can't have a recruiting ranking that stays at or around 25 nationally.

I would think Matthew Hurt would be the next elite player we have a reasonable shot at, but with him looking like a top 10, that is far from certain. Doesn't sound like we have a real shot with Tre, right?..

Hurt will be tough to get. Likely going to be some real blueblood interest there. Obviously not a bad thing that his older brother is a Gopher though. Still really early in his recruitment so it's hard to pin down our chances.
Not sure about Tre. He isn't rated quite as high as Tyus, but Duke and Arizona have offered. Don't think our chances are good at this point.

Tre will go to Duke.

Top Bottom