All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Thats an unlikely 2nd. Where is the even less likely 3rd scholarship?

Half of GH has already sent a petition to Pitino to get rid of Gas and Gil to make way for '17 Mn recruits!

Nice way to think of players rep'n the team we love. Let it play out...

Half of GH has already sent a petition to Pitino to get rid of Gas and Gil to make way for '17 Mn recruits!

That's like the MILLIONTH time you've exaggerated on here! If I've said it once, I've said a billion times: stop exaggerating!

We always have kids transferring and leaving the program. I think it's fairly likely that we have another before the 2017 class signs.

I guess that I'm in the other 50%. Put me in the camp hoping we have only one scholarship available for 2017. That would mean we actually have some stability in the program with players and coaches. As much as some would like to pick off the 12th and 13th scholarship player every year, it is just as likely we lose somebody we want to keep around, for whatever reason.

So thats still 2 scholarships. Where is your third?
I'm not listing specific players, just saying kids leave for a whole host of reasons. Just since Pitino arrived we've had scholarships open up from a player wanting a change in scenery (Coleman), degenerative knee condition (Oto), heart issue (Jarvis), home sick/playing time (Martin), felony assault (McNeil), and probably someone else I'm forgetting.

I'm no believer in running kids off their scholarship to free space for recruiting, but Gaston doesn't belong in the Big 10. I wouldn't be upset if he transferred

That's like the MILLIONTH time you've exaggerated on here! If I've said it once, I've said a billion times: stop exaggerating!

You still eating crow over Zach Lofton? How's his season going :)?

Speaking of exaggerating, you had him in the NBA next year.

Put me in the camp hoping we have only one scholarship available for 2017..

I'm with you, just sick of people hoping Gas or any other player transfers next year this early in their careers. Hope Gas doesn't ready GH, like Wonk did.

I'm not listing specific players, just saying kids leave for a whole host of reasons. Just since Pitino arrived we've had scholarships open up from a player wanting a change in scenery (Coleman), degenerative knee condition (Oto), heart issue (Jarvis), home sick/playing time (Martin), felony assault (McNeil), and probably someone else I'm forgetting.

From everything we have heard, the staff is recruiting as if it expects to have more than one scholarship for 2017, which is a similar approach to most schools. It's not about cherry picking specific kids off right now, it's just the nature of college basketball that kids leave programs all the time for many different reasons. The chances that we'll sign at least two kids in the 2017 class are very high. Until then, we'll hope everyone on the current roster continues to develop and contribute.

You still eating crow over Zach Lofton? How's his season going :)?

Speaking of exaggerating, you had him in the NBA next year.

I was obviously joking about exaggeration. And you must be thinking of someone else. I was never a big Lofton guy. I was hopeful that his supposed talent would show up for us, but I don't recall fighting on his behalf and certainly don't remember thinking he was NBA bound. :confused:

Are you sure you're not thinking of gogophers (w/o the underscore)?

I'm no believer in running kids off their scholarship to free space for recruiting, but Gaston doesn't belong in the Big 10. I wouldn't be upset if he transferred

Buggs didn't see the floor his second season in program. He's turning out to be pretty decent. Gaston hasn't been in the program a full year yet. Remember having to wait for admission??? Let's just relax please.

The talent in MN high school basketball is absurd right now--I hadn't even heard of this kid. By the way, why haven't we offered?

I hadn't heard of him either. His offers so far are mostly from mid majors and middling power 5 schools: Auburn, Nevada, Texas Tech, UNLV, Virginia Tech and a few others.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gopher guests for Michigan State
2017: Theo John, McKinley Wright, Isaac Johnson, Terrance Lewis of Milwaukee, Nate Reuvers, Ishmael El-Amin</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/683353891967221760">January 2, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gopher guest Terrance Lewis (6-ft-6 Milwaukee wing) is a 2017 Rivals150 talent (#112)
Lewis scored 21 pts with 8 rebs on 9-21 fg today vs JM</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/683354974408060930">January 2, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gopher guests for Michigan State
2017: Theo John, McKinley Wright, Isaac Johnson, Terrance Lewis of Milwaukee, Nate Reuvers, Ishmael El-Amin</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/683353891967221760">January 2, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I also saw the Hurt brothers there (along with the entire JM team).

Good to see Hanson and Sims at the game along with Tre:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom