All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Smart move by Pitino and staff! Such a defensive presence, and you can't teach 6'9 (maybe still growing) and mobile with a 7+ foot wingspan. His offensive game looks promising, but really doesn't get utilized at all. Still a work in progress, but in 3-4 years from now, it could be SCARY to see how far he's come.

They all say it would be nice. Just once I would like to see a kid commit on the spot. I like him and Trent both better than Coffey. I believe those two will have the bluebloods salivating.

They all say it would be nice. Just once I would like to see a kid commit on the spot. I like him and Trent both better than Coffey. I believe those two will have the bluebloods salivating.

the guard play in the 4A championship game was, to me, head and shoulders above the guard play in the 3A game. So much more composed in a much faster game. I was really hoping Johnson could speed up De Lasalle enough so that i could see what all the scouts were seeing in Anim and Johnson, but at the end of the night the 4A guards just looked so much better to me. Small sample because my only other time watching the De Lasalle kids was in an All-Star game last spring and in a Sunday fall league where they weren't pushed much.

Jones and Trent are outstanding Plus both shoot free throws around 80 percent. Champlin's guards were very athletic and big. Actually Gibson was their slowest guard and had a bad game.Their soph guard Mckinnley Wright looks to be someone to watch.

Apple Valley's coach said he thinks Trent is going to be as big as his dad before he stops growing. Personally, I thought the two most impressive players I saw in the State Tournament were Mitchell from Shakopee and Trent from Apple Valley. I think their games translate more readily to the college game.
Of course, give Tre Jones three more years, and he could be a very interesting player.......

Apple Valley's coach said he thinks Trent is going to be as big as his dad before he stops growing. Personally, I thought the two most impressive players I saw in the State Tournament were Mitchell from Shakopee and Trent from Apple Valley. I think their games translate more readily to the college game.
Of course, give Tre Jones three more years, and he could be a very interesting player.......

I agree with one exception, Theo John. Only watched on TV. But Theo looked so impressive in the semi final game that he rates (for me) up there with Mitchell - Trent - and down the road Tre Jones.

I agree with one exception, Theo John. Only watched on TV. But Theo looked so impressive in the semi final game that he rates (for me) up there with Mitchell - Trent - and down the road Tre Jones.

By the time they graduate I think John and Trent will be the equal of the players from last years recruiting class in Minnesota, both are outstanding.

Just curious, what does "hear from mean". This isn't a rip just curious if it defined as a phone call, visit in a gym after a game etc.

There were lots of players who looked impressive in the 4A title game. The contrast to the A title game was like ...this is it? Nobody on either team of D1 caliber versus lets look at this guy some more for several players in the 4A game.

Gary, Theo, and Goanar are the three real talents in this class. Would love to get all three! Others in the class will get D1 scholarships, but those three are already special players.

Gary, Theo, and Goanar are the three real talents in this class. Would love to get all three! Others in the class will get D1 scholarships, but those three are already special players.

Personally I'd rather try to get an out state player than Goanar.

I hate to say it but there's no way the Gophers get Gary Trent Jr. The big schools should start offering very soon.

Howard Pulley beats Kentucky Travelers 67-52. 43 points and 6 rebounds from Gary Trent Jr. 8 of 12 from 3pt

Damn, he is leading the entire EYBL in scoring as a 2017 recruit. Ohio State is going to be a favorite till the end, and I'm sure the blue bloods will be offering in a matter of time. He is going to be really tough to get to stay home. Not alot of optimism of him being a Gopher at this point.

Damn, he is leading the entire EYBL in scoring as a 2017 recruit. Ohio State is going to be a favorite till the end, and I'm sure the blue bloods will be offering in a matter of time. He is going to be really tough to get to stay home. Not alot of optimism of him being a Gopher at this point.

I see him ending up at a blue blood like Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, UNC, or something like that if not at Ohio State. (And who could blame him??) He'll end up being a top 10 recruit in 2017.

Trent had 33 pts today against Southern Stampede. He now leads the EYBL comfortably averaging over 24 ppg (while playing a year up). I think we've already established he's going to be a 5-star type player by now.

I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up.

My hopes are up.

There wasn’t much Richard Pitino could do about being behind recruiting the state’s “Big Three” in the 2014 class — and the Gophers’ staff worked hard to make up for lost ground on the elite players in 2015 and 2016, which included Alex Illikainen, Jarvis Johnson and Amir Coffey.

Pitino took an important step in establishing himself with Minnesota’s top 2017 prospect in Apple Valley wing Gary Trent Jr., who received a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota while attending Pitino’s team camp Saturday.

Top Bottom